RS4 Alloys - Geniuine

selector007

Reaction score
A3 1.8T Quattro

My car is in the garage (due to me losing my talent on a bend!) and currently I have RS4 reps on it. Whilst it is there I am thinking of replacing these with genuine RS4's. Does anyone know how much they cost (without tyres)?

selector007 said:
A3 1.8T Quattro

My car is in the garage (due to me losing my talent on a bend!) and currently I have RS4 reps on it. Whilst it is there I am thinking of replacing these with genuine RS4's. Does anyone know how much they cost (without tyres)?

You want Genuine RSTT's mate to fit on your car, genuine RS4's are made of magnesium and are 8.5" wide with the wrong offset and wrong studpattern for your A3. As for price, they come up on ebay now and again and usually fetch £500+, there was a MINT set going for sale in the classifieds section, maybe they are still about?

what are the weight differences between an 17" OE s3 avus and 18" RS4 rep?

i thought RSTT's were 5x100?

selector007 said:
A3 1.8T Quattro

Think you mean the 9 spoke TT s-line wheels nicknamed RSTTs you can get them from the tt shop for a grand and a half
http://www.thettshop.co.uk/exterior.asp?cat=2003&product=701407

Is there a major difference with the genuines and reps? i.e. quality? is it worth spending the extra cash. I know the centre caps are not as good. The only thing i would say is do not jet wash them as my wheels have lost there colour due to this.

Some reps look schit, others dont.
The "RSTT" wheel has the lip going all the way round each spoke the spokes are also slightly curved, giving the whole wheel a dished look. Some reps are like this while others look really flat.
The main difference is the weight, the 18" reps would be a lot heavier than the OE Avus wheel and heavier than OE "RSTT""

silver75 said:
Some reps look schit, others dont.
The "RSTT" wheel has the lip going all the way round each spoke the spokes are also slightly curved, giving the whole wheel a dished look. Some reps are like this while others look really flat.

The spokes on both type wheels curve inwards like a dish, but the groove on spokes of the RSTT items make the curve more pronounced.
The main difference is the weight, the 18" reps would be a lot heavier than the OE Avus wheel and heavier than OE "RSTT""

The 18" RSTT wheels only weight 2-3lbs more than the 17" OE AVUS wheels apparently, with the tyres on. It has been proved that replicas may not be as heavy as you thought, and in some cases, lighter... it's is the quality of the wheel and the finish on the paint that differs from OE and reps.

Get yourself a decent set of reps and buy some OE center caps and save the £££s :thumbsup:

...personally I think its a gamble whether you get good reps or not, as they can vary so much.
Ive also seen some RS4/RSTT reps that are very flat and others dished. Some say the ones that Rochford do are dished and that ones from other places arent...there have been many threads on TS.net on this, these were the 1st wheels i wanted to get so I did a lot of research!
If you find goods one for cheap then your laughing :)

what company make the best reps? Ive been looking for ages they all seem the same price.

Ive heard that Rochford are good, I guess the only way you can tell is if you physically see finish and quality of the wheel :shrug:

jojo said:
You want Genuine RSTT's mate to fit on your car, genuine RS4's are made of magnesium and are 8.5" wide with the wrong offset and wrong studpattern for your A3. As for price, they come up on ebay now and again and usually fetch £500+, there was a MINT set going for sale in the classifieds section, maybe they are still about?

Does that mean that the 18" factory option on the S3 should be an RSTT with the full grove?

Almost all RS4 reps I've seen seem to be et35. I think RSTTs should be et33.

Roachford had some originals for about a grand a set recently. Not sure if they're still there

ChriS3 said:
Does that mean that the 18" factory option on the S3 should be an RSTT with the full grove?
Correct Chris, they should be the S-line items from the TT, Audi never made the RS4, half groove style for A3/S3/TT fitment.
Almost all RS4 reps I've seen seem to be et35. I think RSTTs should be et33.

Roachford had some originals for about a grand a set recently. Not sure if they're still there

He wanted genuine wheels, and genuine RS4's are ET20, 18x8.5 and 5x112 stud pattern.

So do you think the 18" RSTT wheels (on TT Shop online )would fit a A3 1.8T sport, i tried some on from a TT but they seemed to stick out too far at the front, do I have to go down the replica route to get the correct size and offset so it fits within the wheel arch, if so have long do reps last if you know, as I have heard that the lacquer and finish can soon begin to deterioate. So do you guys recommend the Rochford ones?

Cheers

I purchased a set of 17" RSTT replicas from Wheelbase last month.

Really nice wheels for the price, and the set I got have a very pronounced dish to them. Weight wise, they were actually marginally lighter than the OEM Star 17's/Continental Sport Contact tyre combo they replaced. I'm sad, as I weighed them on the bathroom scales!

I did think the fronts stuck out a little too far probably 5mm more than the OEM's, especially in comparison to the rears, but I put some 5mm spacers on the rear and I think they look nice and balanced now.

I also purchased some OE centre caps, which really finish things off nicely.

With Toyo Proxes T1-S tyres and the OE centre caps, it altogether cost £665. I could have got the 18" version of the same wheel for £30 more, but I wanted to keep the look and ride of the 17's. Each to their own I guess! My only gripe is that the Toyos are not the best looking tyres in the world, and the tread rolls around the sidewall a bit too far, but now I'm being picky! They grip and ride very well though, so I can't say too much.

I have never really thought about weight issues, but as a general rule of thumb are reps quite a bit heavier than original audi wheels? Why is this the case are the originals just better quality lighter metals? if reps are heavier a reasonably powerful engine (150 Bhp) should turn them round so to speak without any major strain on the engine or is this not the case does mpg get noticeably lower?

Also I am running standard 1'8T sport wheels at the mo, upgrading to some 18"'s will this affect speedo readings, or handling issues, or should I be ok.

Tooks do you wheelbase reps look pretty similar to RSTT originals then?

Hi claty23, yes, they look like scaled down versions of the RSTT's. I'll post some pics if you like?

Re the weight issue, it's been debated many times on here and as ever, opinions differ! As I say, mine were marginally lighter, but I kept the same size wheel, so I'd kind of expect that.

On a previous BMW I had, I changed the rims from OEM 16's to replica 18's, and they were a lot heavier than the originals, but there was more metal so I guess I expected that too!

The speedo won't be affected as long as you go for the right size tyre. For example, moving from 225/45/17's to 225/40/18's gives you near as anything the same rolling radius, so the speedo will be fine.

There's a tyre size calculator thing on this link, plus some other useful stuff too.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

It's just over half way down and entitled 'Why would I want to change my rims and tyres anyway?'

HTH

claty23 said:
I have never really thought about weight issues, but as a general rule of thumb are reps quite a bit heavier than original audi wheels? Why is this the case are the originals just better quality lighter metals? if reps are heavier a reasonably powerful engine (150 Bhp) should turn them round so to speak without any major strain on the engine or is this not the case does mpg get noticeably lower?

Also I am running standard 1'8T sport wheels at the mo, upgrading to some 18"'s will this affect speedo readings, or handling issues, or should I be ok.

Tooks do you wheelbase reps look pretty similar to RSTT originals then?

Unsprung weight has a major influence on the car's feel and handling. The lighter the wheels/brakes/all the bits outboard of the suspension, the better the car will go around corners and accelerate out of them. Every 1kg saved on unsprung weight is worth about 4kg on the car.

They are exactly the wheels I am after for my 1.8 T sport. Are they 17" or 18"?

Where did you get them from?

Cheers

Stephen

Sorry, I have just read the other posts in this post and you have answered my questions!

No worries! Very quick delivery from Wheelbase too, they seem good guys.