s3 rattles....

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hi does anyone else’s s3 rattle? Where I live all the roads are crap and bumpy, when I bought the car it didn’t have any rattles now I’ve got it, it has loads!!!! Mainly from the armrest and glovebox area. And maybe a rattle behind the dash, I think the headunit area im unsure!!!! It’s getting really frustrating my Clio Sport had less rattles than this and it was French!

Any ideas or tips to remove the rattles? btw I’m on standard suspension and alloys.

Thanks

Glovebox rattle/buzzing seems a common problem over time on S3's, my drivers seat has a litlle squeak now and then, but no other rattles on my S3.

Yeah i have a dashboard squeak, haven't named it yet! ; )

And lets not talk about the noise from the suspension, front and rear both like to be heard : (

Boo

Jonesy said:
Where I live all the roads are crap and bumpy

That sums up about 95% of all roads on this island doesn't it:motz:

Mine is sometimes embarrasing to drive past people it makes that much noise from somewhere under the back. I keep isolating rattles one at a time but it still sounds like a bag of marbles, certainly not what you'd expect from a "quality car manufacturer".

same here - im sure 18" wheels and the standard crap dampers dont help

im hoping bilsteins will improve the ride, from what i understand they are better

I have a rattle coming from the interior panel behind the drivers seat and its driving me up the wall.

Thinking of taking the panel off and then re-apply to see if that helps

Within the last 3 weeks of owning mine, it appears to have developed a rattle in the drivers door, right below my ear level. It is driving me up the wall too!

Threatening to remove door panel to investigate further...

ICE

OK, I did have an anoying rattle in the drivers door, it sounded like one of the door lock rods was loose. It used to rattle when closing the door or going over bumps.

In the end when washing the car, i saw that one of the bolts on the door was loose (on the parts of the door that are hidden when the door is closed) - enough to be turned by fingers easily. I done this bolt back up, and the strange vibration/rattle disappeared!! I was a bit suprised as i've never had the door apart...

madvw said:
OK, I did have an anoying rattle in the drivers door, it sounded like one of the door lock rods was loose. It used to rattle when closing the door or going over bumps.

In the end when washing the car, i saw that one of the bolts on the door was loose (on the parts of the door that are hidden when the door is closed) - enough to be turned by fingers easily. I done this bolt back up, and the strange vibration/rattle disappeared!! I was a bit suprised as i've never had the door apart...

I had the same thing, its the crash bars. The bolts just work themselves loose somehow. Worth checking

madvw said:

Thanks for that I too had a loose bolt, looks either 13 or 14mm. So far have done it up finger tight and the rattle has disappeared. Will tighten it properly this weekend.

Thanks again. I now have my silent cabin back!!!

Cheers,

ICE