AH FabricationsChris Nott

Thread: s3 rattles....

3rd Gear

Status

s3 rattles....

Hi does anyone else’s s3 rattle? Where I live all the roads are crap and bumpy, when I bought the car it didn’t have any rattles now I’ve got it, it has loads!!!! Mainly from the armrest and glovebox area. And maybe a rattle behind the dash, I think the headunit area im unsure!!!! It’s getting really frustrating my Clio Sport had less rattles than this and it was French!

Any ideas or tips to remove the rattles? btw I’m on standard suspension and alloys.

Thanks
    2001 Audi S3 - Facelift - Revo remap - Forge 007p DV - BMC Panel Filter- Type R Ariel - Aero wipers - n75j valve.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    move somewhere else .....lol
    2002 225 S3, metallic black, REVO, 18" RSTT alloys, goodyear Eagle F1s, silver leather heated seats, tinted windows, H&R spacers, black diamond grooved discs & Ferrodo DS2500 pads, BOSE system, xenons, forge DV, samco TIP & upper boost hoses.

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Glovebox rattle/buzzing seems a common problem over time on S3's, my drivers seat has a litlle squeak now and then, but no other rattles on my S3.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh!

Taking it easy..

Status
    Yeah i have a dashboard squeak, haven't named it yet! ; )

And lets not talk about the noise from the suspension, front and rear both like to be heard : (

Boo
    J

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy
    Where I live all the roads are crap and bumpy
    That sums up about 95% of all roads on this island doesn't it

Mine is sometimes embarrasing to drive past people it makes that much noise from somewhere under the back. I keep isolating rattles one at a time but it still sounds like a bag of marbles, certainly not what you'd expect from a "quality car manufacturer".
    2001 S3|Ebony Black|Revo|MTM Clutch|RS4 Reps|Tarox Brakes
    '95 Corrado VR6|Classic Green|Koni/Eibach|Undergoing major rebuild!

1st Gear

Status
    same here - im sure 18" wheels and the standard crap dampers dont help

im hoping bilsteins will improve the ride, from what i understand they are better

Neutral

Status
    I have a rattle coming from the interior panel behind the drivers seat and its driving me up the wall.

Thinking of taking the panel off and then re-apply to see if that helps

3rd Gear

Status
    Within the last 3 weeks of owning mine, it appears to have developed a rattle in the drivers door, right below my ear level. It is driving me up the wall too!

Threatening to remove door panel to investigate further...

ICE

6th Gear

Status
    OK, I did have an anoying rattle in the drivers door, it sounded like one of the door lock rods was loose. It used to rattle when closing the door or going over bumps.

In the end when washing the car, i saw that one of the bolts on the door was loose (on the parts of the door that are hidden when the door is closed) - enough to be turned by fingers easily. I done this bolt back up, and the strange vibration/rattle disappeared!! I was a bit suprised as i've never had the door apart...

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by madvw
    OK, I did have an anoying rattle in the drivers door, it sounded like one of the door lock rods was loose. It used to rattle when closing the door or going over bumps.

In the end when washing the car, i saw that one of the bolts on the door was loose (on the parts of the door that are hidden when the door is closed) - enough to be turned by fingers easily. I done this bolt back up, and the strange vibration/rattle disappeared!! I was a bit suprised as i've never had the door apart...
    I had the same thing, its the crash bars. The bolts just work themselves loose somehow. Worth checking
    2002 Dolphin grey S3 - Sym2+bose, heated leather, ally mirrors, R32 ARB's with superpro, Jabba stage 2 map, TFSI coils, Samco TIP, Forge DV & privacy glass

2010 Green Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R - Akrapovic baffleless race can, LED cluster & HID's

wanted for 8L S3:
    Unmarked grey rear bumper panel
    Milltek system

3rd Gear

Status

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by madvw

Thanks for that I too had a loose bolt, looks either 13 or 14mm. So far have done it up finger tight and the rattle has disappeared. Will tighten it properly this weekend.

Thanks again. I now have my silent cabin back!!!

Cheers,

ICE