German Style Number Plates

Tallpaul

Reaction score
Just ordered me some German Style number plates. Gone for pressed aluminium plates without the country badge with UK letter spacing and some rather handsome 'Audi Zentrum Ingolstadt' German Audi Dealership number plate surrounds. :)

I'll post some pics when they arrive and i get them fitted :)

which website did you order them from mate? they must be looking nice!

got them from www.dubmeister.co.uk, £55 all in.

If you go to the website it'll generate a preview of what your plate will look like including the sorround etc, they do look v cool.

Yeah, I've seen these on the dubmeister website, and thought they looked pretty good.

I see they now do they with the UK font aswell, so i guess there is a lot less chance of the boys in blue having a problem with them, i assume they are still no good for the MOT:confused:

I passed my MOT with german font, pressed metal reflective, german identifier.

They cannot refuse if they are correctly spaced and german TUV approved etc.

MOT/Police is a bit of a grey area.

The facts are that the plates i've ordered are the right colour, spacing, size and font. As such the basis for them not being legal isn't very strong. If a policeman was being a pedantic then i assume he could insist they aren't legal simply because the letters are pressed rather than printed.

These are the facts:

The Law And German Plates 01 Dec 2005
We had some contact from DVLA regarding pressed alloy German plates, and were asked to make sure all were aware they are illegal for road use, and to sell strictly for off road use..no problem and we have posted this on the Show plate page.

Then info came in that their was a section in the Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 561
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001 saying otherwise...
And we quote:

1PART 1

VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of -

(a) the British Standard specification for retroreflecting number plates published on 15 January 1998 under number BS AU 145d[13], or

(b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,

and which, in either case, is marked with the number (or such other information as is necessary to permit identification) of that standard or specification.

2. Where the registration mark is displayed on the front of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a white background.

3. Where the registration mark is displayed on the back of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a yellow background.

PART 2

VEHICLES REGISTERED ON OR AFTER 1ST JANUARY 1973 AND BEFORE 1ST SEPTEMBER 2001 (OPTIONAL SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of reflex-reflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and other qualities, complies with the requirements of -

(a) the British Standard Specification for reflex-reflecting number plates, published on 11 September 1972 under the number BS AU 145a[14], or

(b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British Standard specification,

and which, in either case, is marked with the number (or such other information as is necessary to permit identification) of that standard or specification.

2. Where the registration mark is displayed on the front of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a white background.

3. Where the registration mark is displayed on the back of the vehicle, it must have black characters on a yellow background.

© Crown Copyright 2001
Section from page:
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2001/20010561.htm#sch2

Note (b) in each section!

Either way i'll keep my original plates in the boot just incase the nice policeman tries to take my car off the road.

well i am rocking with german plates too, for the last 5 months with no problems touch wood!

at the end of the day its a risk of a thirty pound fine!

I have german font, normal spacing, white on front and yellow on rear!

I got them of course from the helpful gents at dubmeister ; )

I see you have opted for the 2.0 T : )

All i see on the road's are the TDI models, all with the S-line kit ( all show, no go kit ) he he

opps will i get told off for that??? : (

sorry

My plates are sat at home waiting for me. They said 24hrs for delivery, but it took just over 25hrs for them to arrive :p

I'll post pics when i get them on the car :)

Mine were from www.germanplates.com and surrounds from Dubmeister, customer service from both was excellent.
Stadt badges from elsehwere as at the time dubmeister didnt do them (had them on about a year now)

audipolished.jpg

Sweet, they're the surrounds i've gone for :)

Never attracted any unwanted interest in the spacing and style of those then?

nice dave, how are the plates attached to the front/rear? at the moment i have 2 ugly screws holding each of my plates on and they look fugly..

Never had any real problems, as they look 100% German the police dont seem to think of stopping me.

It'd be a hassle stopping a German wouldnt it.....

I was pulled along with 5 cars for a routine drink drivign check about a month after I got them, the policeman walked to the wrong side of the car first, then i explained i had to been to a car show and had forgotton to swap back to the UK ones, so swapped back in 20 seconds whilst he watched.

He then sent me on my way.

I am well aware I'm courting a £60 fine but lets be honest, if the parking attendants choose not to fine me because i appear to have foreign plates, is that my fault?

The surrounds are screwed on and the plates slide in. the surrounds also take my plastic UK plates as i dremeled a few mm off the UK ones.

when you say the plates just slide in, is there anything stopping them sliding out or more likely, some little scrote nicking my plate by simply sliding it out?

It wont come out without force, as you have to clip the plate in, but yes, someone could easily steal the plates if they wanted.

Mind, had mine a year and no-ones touched them, didnt even have any problems with the German plates whilst the world cup was on.

hmm, i tempted to stick them in so they wont come off, but would like to keep my original knackered plates in the boot, just in case i get pulled over for the new ones to swap over..

Tallpaul said:
Just ordered me some German Style number plates. Gone for pressed aluminium plates without the country badge with UK letter spacing and some rather handsome 'Audi Zentrum Ingolstadt' German Audi Dealership number plate surrounds. :)

Copy cat,i did mine last week,same spec,same place,they are selling well.

skanky said:
hmm, i tempted to stick them in so they wont come off, but would like to keep my original knackered plates in the boot, just in case i get pulled over for the new ones to swap over..

Got mine stashed away there too, under the carpet to be precise. ;)

Peloton said:
Got mine stashed away there too, under the carpet to be precise. ;)

Me Too stashed away in the boot , never had any need to swap them over tho had them on best part of 2 years with no trouble .

The odd police man occasionally may point them out to his mate sat next to him when they pull up behind me in traffic but never bother, as they are easilly readable. :icon_thumright:

skanky said:
when you say the plates just slide in, is there anything stopping them sliding out or more likely, some little scrote nicking my plate by simply sliding it out?
They need to have a brain in order to work out how you do it.

have you any pics of the frames? i want a frame with something german along the bottom of them :)

claudefrog said:
have you any pics of the frames? i want a frame with something german along the bottom of them :)
You can visit SpecialPlates.com and personalise additional frames directly from there. The frames with our German plates are the black, clip-in plate type with no printing (£20 for a pair of German plates).

claudefrog said:

I'd recommend Dubmeister as per the link above, much better selection of surrounds. Top service and fast delivery too.

Tallpaul said:
I'd recommend Dubmeister as per the link above, much better selection of surrounds. Top service and fast delivery too.

cheers, had a look at their site, its exactly what i want :)

Tallpaul said:

Excellent post Tallpaul I am going to order a set for my 07 sportback tdi 170 s line cheers mate

I recommend germanplates.com as Dave_Bayern said they even send you a email of your actual pltes when they are made to make sure ther ok.
And they work out really cheap due to the exchange rate.

Just ordered mine off dubmeister... cant wait too fit them.:) Reason for not buy off special plates is due too the better selection of surrounds and also I have too say the website looks pants and Im not willing to risk buying online of a company that wont invest in a decent website.:lazy: I could be slightly bias though due too my web designing back ground. Take it as constructive criticism:sorry:

Wowzers! :) Thanks for the feedback, it's appreciated.

There is a lot of competition and despite our much lower prices it's possible that some customers will base their purchase decision on webdesign factors.

The result for you though is that you'll have a nice set of German plates with you soon! Enjoy them!

FolkDirect.com - German plates
SpecialPlates.com - UK plates

Good news:
I recieved and fitted my new plates the other day....they look stunning:icon_thumright: , the audi dealership surrounds just set it off! Very happy....thank you dub meister
Bad News
Went too my local tesco today and left the car in the carpark to do abit of shopping as you do... get back home and notice that some complete w@nker has knocked into the brand new number plate on the front:faint: :crying: :mad: :nunu: . Result of which is the plate is all bent out of shape with a few horrible dimples in it. Just spent the last half hour with a hammer... and different pieces of wood on a piece of carpet trying to reshape it without scratching it:doctor: . cant really notice it now... but i know its there and ive got a good mind too order another brand new plate.:sob: Maybe i will put the bent one back in everytime I go too tesco.:sign_unfair:

bouncer--daz said:
Good news:
I recieved and fitted my new plates the other day....they look stunning:icon_thumright: , the audi dealership surrounds just set it off! Very happy....thank you dub meister
Bad News
Went too my local tesco today and left the car in the carpark to do abit of shopping as you do... get back home and notice that some complete w@nker has knocked into the brand new number plate on the front:faint: :crying: :mad: :nunu: . Result of which is the plate is all bent out of shape with a few horrible dimples in it. Just spent the last half hour with a hammer... and different pieces of wood on a piece of carpet trying to reshape it without scratching it:doctor: . cant really notice it now... but i know its there and ive got a good mind too order another brand new plate.:sob: Maybe i will put the bent one back in everytime I go too tesco.:sign_unfair:

Dam your having all the luck, lock your self up and don't go out! Pedals, number plate, ebay... Luck, you need bags of it! :)

The guy off ebay with the pedals has got back to me and said he will post them asap... but yer I am having alot of luck.... just been told my grand mothers just been taking into hospital... when it rains it pours:eiertritt: :banghead: .... but dont worry... the audi is ok.... oh and my grand mother

I've been stopped by the police for the german plates.......£30 fine, but I never took them off. Will they pass MOT anyone, they were from Dubmeister a few months back. Cheers - Spuddie :)

Dave_Bayern said:
Mine were from www.germanplates.com and surrounds from Dubmeister, customer service from both was excellent.
Stadt badges from elsehwere as at the time dubmeister didnt do them (had them on about a year now)

Whats the blue hexagon shape and the thing below off centre on the plate - after R4?