A3 1.6 - Opinions?

ManicMunky

Reaction score
Been offered a 1.6 A3, T-plate (I think) from someone Dad knows.

Thinking it would be a better run around than my current Lupo (since it will actually have a boot!)

It's a nice, tidy car, few toys, and it's cheap.

Anything I should look out for?

Could you give more detail. I.E model, engine, mileage etc. Have you check Parkers for the price.

If it's got a full service history and it looks and drives straight with no obvious leaks, rattles or smoke then it should be fine.

Make sure all the electrics work. If you know anyone with VAG-COM it'd be worth getting them to scan for any stored fault codes.

if you can bear the complete lack of power it should be ok. I drove one once and was seriously un-impressed by the engine.

They are OK at best, and that's comparing it with an S3, they have 101 bhp, so not monster performance, but enough for use as a runaround. In SE spec, it should have Automatic Climate Control as standard, which makes it a worthwhile replacement over the Lupo, but A3's are pretty heavy, so don't expect the fuel economy of a Lupo.

Lupo - 1005kg/98bhp

A3 - 1090kg/100bhp

Not much in it really, i imagine the Lupo is more 'lively' to drive but it surely won't be as comfortable as the A3 and has nowhere near the luggage space.

Plus you'll be getting an Audi badge instead of VW :)

Rather have a slow audi than a fast lupo any day of the week, but thats just me

I think you've got Lupo "wet" weight, and A3 "dry", and that's a GTI weight, I beleive. Sport is 945kg, afaik.

I've driven this one, some some alright, not pig slow, but not particualry quick either. Decent cruiser. More luggage space.

I've gotten bored of the Lupo anyway, so I never drive it quick anywhere!

No idea, they're the weights quoted on Parkers for the Lupo 1.4 Sport and the A3 1.6 SE.

odd, lol.

oh well, doesn't really bother me. will just be a slightly more practical run around till I save for an S3 :)