XENON UPGRADE???

HOUCH

Reaction score
Hi guys, Firstly soz to those old members who have read this sort of question before! But can anyone please advise what and where or even if are there is anything I can do to improve the dipped beam on me motor.
Car in question is 2001 a3 quat fitted with facelift xenons, bulbs in there are are correct spec standard hallogens, Is there a H.I.D. type of kit or anything else like it for model if so any idea on cost also if anyone has fitted are they as simple as I've seen people say they are to fit, tried "carlos fandango" updated bulbs on previous cars not over impressed.Greatfull of any advice as now winter creaping up dark nights drawing in as I live out in sticks (no street lights etc) dont want to stick it into ditch or drive around like some Grandad.
Cheers Guys Great web site anything that keeps me away from main dealer big plus in my book. Houch

Search for "Genuine HID conversion" on the UK MKiv forum, I have some from them and they are amazing.
I though Carlos Fandango just made tyres :p

Cheers M8 I'll go see, think your right about Carlos F (wicked advert)

Thanks Houch

Carlos Fandango, brilliant!!! Careful, you guys are giving away your ages!!
Must be 20 years ago when I saw that Hamlet advert.........

Cheers guys for feedback should have s3 f/bumper back fron s/shop soon so guess would be best time to do lights will be in touch,soz if sound thick but I take it that they will not compromise main beam operation?
As for carlos I was very young and I think my old man smoked Hamlet's at time....thats my story and I'am sticking to it....

HOUCH said:
Cheers guys for feedback should have s3 f/bumper back fron s/shop soon so guess would be best time to do lights will be in touch,soz if sound thick but I take it that they will not compromise main beam operation?
As for carlos I was very young and I think my old man smoked Hamlet's at time....thats my story and I'am sticking to it....

They dont compromise anything. They consume less power than Halogens (35w), and produce more, whiter light.:)

Rich

Rich, I found after putting my new style units in (we bought the same ones I think, from the guy on ebay) the beam pattern wasn't quite as good.

Do the Xenons work a lot better with the projector style lamps, will I get decent lighting again? What with winter coming up I may well knock on your door with some money next time I'm in Bicester!

Projectors are best for HIDs, but I find they made a massive difference in the standard reflectors on our A3.

Yeah, i got the german units too... The beam with the xenons is fine. I find you get a very central, straight forward beam. They work well!

They do work well in the reflectors too - I used to have xenons in my reflectors.

Orders typically take 3-4 days to arrive. I just need to know the type and color temp required!

Cheers

Rich

silver75 said:
Who is Carlos Fandango?

Did a search on google and I'm still in the dark

:confused: :confused:

It was a hamlet cigar advert many years ago. A guy fitted carlos fandango wide wheels to his car, they stuck out about 10 inches from the arches. He drove through a gate and ripped them off, crashed the car, lit his cigar and then we got the music.....

RichA3Turbo said:
Yeah, i got the german units too... The beam with the xenons is fine. I find you get a very central, straight forward beam. They work well!

They do work well in the reflectors too - I used to have xenons in my reflectors.

Orders typically take 3-4 days to arrive. I just need to know the type and color temp required!

Cheers

Rich
Sorry to sound dumb, but would these be an improvement on my Xenons, and to add insult to injury could you explain the concept of colour temp please? :blush:

Rich

Basically the higher the colour temperature (measured in Kelvins), the more violet the light is. With respect to HID lighting systems 4000K is a yellow light whereas 12000K is purple. I have 6000K HIDs, which is very white, similar to bright daylight.
Kits are also bulb type specific, for H1, H3, H4, H7, or whatever you have.

HTH

The higher the kelvin (k) the bluer the bulbs 2500k would be standard halogen bulbs, xenons would be about 4500k at a guess and daylight is about 5000k... you can also get 8000k but Im guesing they would be a bit too blue.. here are my 4000k halogens
piaa1.jpg

they are pretty yellow in comparison to xenons

tommo-turbo said:
Sorry to sound dumb, but would these be an improvement on my Xenons, and to add insult to injury could you explain the concept of colour temp please? :blush:

Rich

As the guys say.

Most OEM HiD's are 4300K. This is a white light. 6000K i prefer as they give a very slight blue tinge, and loads of light.

the other thing to add, is that the light output from the higher K bulbs is less!

They would make no difference to your S3 unfortunately as they are already HID.

Rich

Thanks for the lessons guys. And thanks to Rich for not trying to sell me something I don't need! Much respect! I'll bare you in mind next time I'm after something...

Rich