Bargain Aero Wipers for A3 (Pics)

Tallpaul

Reaction score
My 1998 A3 1.8T Sport came with crappy old school wipers that don't really wipe the windows and make a funny noise. Until now, if i wanted fancy areo wipers, i thought the only option was to swap to the arms and aero wipers from late spec S3's/Golfs/TT's etc. This upgrade is about £60 and a bit steep just for wiper blades!

Anyhoo, i've found this company:

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk

And they sell Valeo Aero Wiper blades that fit the 8L A3 old type wiper arms!

Now the tricky part is that you have to search the website by car and these aren't listed for the A3! Don't panic, we share our windscreen with the SEAT Leon and these are listed for that! So, select SEAT, then Leon, then Year 2000. The blades you want are:

Valeo - UM621 Silencio X.TRM Aftermarket FLAT WIPER BLADE UPGRADE 18"

and

Valeo - UM661 Silencio X.TRM Aftermarket FLAT WIPER BLADE UPGRADE 21"

The end result?

IMG_0153.jpg

What do you think, not bad for £22? :)

Sorry, being lazy as usual.

I will look and find out, if anyone else asks you tell them im on the case!

nice, my front wipers arent clearing water off at the edges, a good excuse to upgrade methinks!

heh total lack of willpower on my part, just ordered a set!

There are some on ebay to every now and again.
Thats were i got mine from but paid £25 for them:(
They work so much better than standard wipers.

What blade would you recommend for the rear wiper? A3 TDI

nice find mate, a4 is listed straight off, slightly more expensive at £31 + postage - still a good deal?

actually hold on, all the rest list drivers and passengers size as 21" each but valeos says 21" for driver and 20" for passenger with the 20" one costing more, hmm?

mine arrived from wiperblades the day after i ordered, not had the time to fit them yet but shouldnt be a problem hopefully.

Yeah these wipers look good, i saw some on a friends R32!

Wasn't sure if they where standard or not!

Sounds like a must upgrade, since the wet weather is here : )

Looked at buying these but my dad was saying that the standard fit ones on his Skoda Superb have never been right. In light rain the first wipe is OK but then every one after that is really loud. When he first bought the car the stealer fitted new wipers and messed with the arms in an attempt to cure it but Skoda UK now refuse any warranty work on them.

Anyone else have this problem?

I assume you mean Aero wipers on your dads skoda?

The Aero wipers fitted to my old Leon Cupra were infinitely quieter and more effective than the old ones and, so far, these Valeo ones appear to be just as good. But my OE wipers were worn out so i needed new blades anyway. For £22 they're worth a punt, you could probably flog them on eBay for more than that if you don't like them ;)

Tallpaul said:
I assume you mean Aero wipers on your dads skoda?

The Aero wipers fitted to my old Leon Cupra were infinitely quieter and more effective than the old ones and, so far, these Valeo ones appear to be just as good. But my OE wipers were worn out so i needed new blades anyway. For £22 they're worth a punt, you could probably flog them on eBay for more than that if you don't like them ;)

Sorry, yes aero wipers are standard fit on them.

I'll give the Valeo ones a try then, need all the help with visibility I can get as I'm currently fighting a losing battle with getting the headlights to light and more than 15 feet in front of the car :banghead:

These seem popular, probably should have tried to get a group discount on them.

I would if i hadn't already stumped up my £22.

Those that haven't ordered might wanna give it a try though. I guess you'd need at least 10 people to make it worth there while.

if theres a group buy Ill take two sets!

I may be able to get a group buy going through one of my local Parts Supplier(Motaquip)
who has a large stock of these coming in on the 16th if any one is interested?Not sure on price until they get them?

got mine fitted, the right hand side wiper still doesnt fit flush against the window, grr!

Ordered, delivered within 2 days, fitted on Saturday and used this morning.
Quality product and an excellent find.

Thanks TallPaul

Thought i'd drag this thread from the dead....

How did people that ordered these Valeo wipers find there longevity?

My little yellow warning triangles were fully showing about a month ago. So that's around the 6 month mark. TBH i've done a few thousand miles and the blades are still working OK but the yellow labels annoy me in the morning so i've just ordered a new set.

I did get the Aero wippers from VAG parts and them seem to working fine. They can get noisy at times, not sure why but they do the job.

cant beat aero wipers, got a set of genuine ones on mine off a R32, had them on all of my cars as they look so much better and performance i find is better too. :icon_thumright:

Tallpaul said:
Thought i'd drag this thread from the dead....

How did people that ordered these Valeo wipers find there longevity?

My little yellow warning triangles were fully showing about a month ago. So that's around the 6 month mark. TBH i've done a few thousand miles and the blades are still working OK but the yellow labels annoy me in the morning so i've just ordered a new set.

How about a black marker pen to erase the horrible yellow dot? I got 18 months use out of aero wipers. Time to invest in a set for the S3

Just about to order these for mine guys, £24.44 now,

Just wondered if they do ones on there for the rear wiper arm too?

J

A3_Turbo said:
Just about to order these for mine guys, £24.44 now,

Just wondered if they do ones on there for the rear wiper arm too?

J

I bought a mkV Golf Rear Wiper arm for mine; arm, blade and washer jet cover came to about £15 from a VW garage.

I've had these Valeo wipers on my car, and I've also tried the Bosch retrofit aero wipers too.

http://www.wiperblades.co.uk/product_details.php?ProductID=262

Out of the two, I prefer the Bosch, as the plastic clip that fits around the wiper arm is smaller, and sits lower to the windscreen.

I also found the Valeo clip kept coming undone on my passenger side, not so that it fell off, but annoying! The Bosch clips are much more secure.

Slightly cheaper as well at the moment I think.

what's the best option for an aero rear wiper then? I can't seem to find it on the wiperblades.co.uk site

jonS3 said:
what's the best option for an aero rear wiper then? I can't seem to find it on the wiperblades.co.uk site

you can get the aero arm and blade from euro car parts for about £20 ish

smartens the back up nicely imo

Ive had the Valeo Retro-Fit flat blade wipers fitted to my A3 for roughly 6 months. In my opinion your better of with the OE design.

My yellow warning tabs were showing after about 4 months. While they still were working like new the passenger side blade never made proper contact with the windscreen at the far right side. If you have a look at the direct fit blades they are bent to take into account the curveature of the windscreen at this point.

Another thing I didnt like is the mounting clips. They are far too big and the wind catches them at anything over 60mph and lifts them from the center of the windscreen.

Granted they look far better then standard but at the end of the day I prefare to have the screen cleaned. I'll be going back to the Valeo direct fit items they work better.