S3 Brake Conversion for A3 1.8T (Pics)

Tallpaul

Reaction score
My A3 1.8T came with crappy 288mm discs. Probably fine for 150bhp running to Tesco and back but not what is needed when running higher boost and and a new agile suspension setup. The upgrade options for 288mm discs are limited plus no matter what you do you'll still have small discs.

I happened upon a chap who was selling full 312mm front brake setups from brand new TT225's (same setup as the S3). For £250 he supplied brand new Pads, Discs, Calipers, Hoses and Caliper carriers. These were taken from TT's that had spec'd brake upgrades so were genuine parts that hadn't been used - the discs still had their protective oil coating!

Now the calipers on my A3 are the same as the TT/S3, but they were 88k old so i thought no harm in changing them. In order to do the conversion i would only have needed the caliper carriers and discs, but buying these new from Audi would cost as much as this kit so i changed the lot.

Before:

DSC00342.jpg

After:

DSC00349.jpg

As you can see the new discs fill the wheels nicely :)

As well as changing these parts I used Motul RBF 600 Dot4 Fluid. This is a fantastic fluid with better thermal properties than many Dot5.1 fluids.

The result is better pedal feel and a much improved response from the brakes themselves. Unfortunatley the single piston calipers are still susceptible to fade but as i'm not going anywhere near a race-track i am more than pleased in the improvement in stopping power from the bigger discs! :)

Nice job. did you do the rears too? i have 4 pot brmbos on the from of mine but luks crap with those monsters on the front and the ****** little caliper on the rear!!

KEF A3 20V T said:
Nice job. did you do the rears too? i have 4 pot brmbos on the from of mine but luks crap with those monsters on the front and the ****** little caliper on the rear!!
I have done the rears to complement the brembos up front,but don't do as i did and forget to get bigger disc sheilds as well ,unless you want to trim back the sheilds like i had to,it didn't take long with a beefy grinder and i did spray them afterwards to stop rust.It does look good but mine where neccessary due to seized original caliper.

where did you get the rear calipers from? were they brembos too? fcuking well awsum stopping power as it is! but your right they do look rediculously small on the rear!