A3 to S3 looks

Quattro_Lew

All Torque
Reaction score
sorry if this has been posted before, i cant find anything using search.

what is it that makes the S3 different? the arch liners, etc?

is it possible to buy the bumpers, skirts and arch extensions from anywhere, audi? etc

Cheers.

insurance man says no :(

Qauttro was the best i could insure being 18.

would it be possible to fit the wider arches and bumpers?

or should i email audi to ask if they can do it and rape me with the cost, pmsl

it would cost thousands to out S3 archs on your car. Unless you bought arch extentions & smoothed them in, even then it wouldnt lokk exactly the same as an S3. You would also then large wheels spacers.

18 and you have a Sport Quattro, you are doing well my friend! Drive it for a few years, then upgrade to an S3 if you still like them, cos then you'd save some money you didn't waste on your current car, and a few years of no claims goes a long way on your insurance.
I wanted a Cossie when I was 18, but glad I didn't, cos what would I need to be driving when I'm 25 to give me the same fix and enjoyment?

cheers for the input guys :)

i think ill just have to source another bodykit instead of an S3 one :( im more interested in the engine and its potential anyhow.
the original quattro bodykit isnt that bad looking tbh just needs the lower black parts spraying and an S3 spoiler adding, assuming the S3 fits?

ill most probably keep the quattro till im 25 hopefully, then just get something ludacrous with the cheaper insurance,pmsl

Lew take a look at the reiger s3 look kit,its very nice and comes with a s3 grille too,if not try out the lcr splitter and colour code the lower panels it looks good,depending on the colour car ,red should be ok.

how the hell are you insuring one at 18? lol!

what are you paying, and who are you with, if you don't mind? :)

im insured with admiral, although they elephant and bell are the same area of price quoted for me, im paying £1624.53 or about 135 a month

always ways to get insured :) an S3 would of cost me 2.1k im not willing to pay that though pmsl

Quattro_Lew said:
...just needs the lower black parts spraying and an S3 spoiler adding, assuming the S3 fits...

Do that instead of wasting money on kits... most of them look poor for the A3 except maybe the Zender one. Painting the lowers totally transforms the look of the car.

im 50/50 on the zender front and rear, im definately going for the skirts, and a painted front and rear with S3 spoiler should do me fine, im more interested in the engine :)

Didnt thinkan s3 rear bumper would fit the A3 because of the width, but this guy on ebay seems to have managed it:

18_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUDI-A3-1-8T-...32QQihZ009QQcategoryZ9835QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So if i get myself an s3 rear bumper would it just fit on as if it was an a3 part?

why has he put a S3 badge on a A3,

also if he wanted it to look good, he should of list colour coded the front

cos hes a ****! haha.

Yeah i know what you mean though! it looks half finished, with the colour code-ing on the front and a set of side skirts it would have been much more like an s3

But to put an S3 badge on it! id be embarressed!

....hmmm, Im not sure about this "make my A3 look like an S3" buisness, A3s are nice enough looking cars that can be moded to look good in their own right, imo all this S3 bumper buisness is no different to puting M3 side grills on normal 3 series beemers...imo of course

I thought all T 'sports' had Air-Con, and only the T (no sport) didnt?

I like how he's fitted the S3 bumper on though, they look so much nicer.

No, when the T Sport was first released Air Con was an option because the sun-roof was standard. Not sure when (1999ish?) the air-con became standard and the sunroof became an option.

My T Sport has both, and cruise control ;)

Can't understand how you are paying that much, i tried getting insured on a 1.8T sport when i was 18 and the cheapest was elephant coming out at £1900 and something and i live in the safest area with the safest parking ever.... it was £1450 insured under a family members name using his 15 years no claims!!

So how have you swindled that that because with 2 years no claims and me been 19, nearly 20 they still are charging me £1450 for the 10 month policy...?

Dave

Dave_Bayern said:
Hmm, I have a 97 T-sport with Aircon and no sunroof. And no flap!

Is it a UK car?

Can't remember where i read about that early spec now, if i find it i'll post a link.

..sports deffinately came with sunroof and no climate as standard, SEs came with climate control, centre armrest and auto dimming mirrors as standard. I think the early SEs were a couple of hundred quid more expensive than the sport. To add aircon to the sport was an extra £1,300, but if you did without the sunroof it was £500, so thats why many sports have aircon but no sunroof.

dgannon69 said:
Can't understand how you are paying that much, i tried getting insured on a 1.8T sport when i was 18 and the cheapest was elephant coming out at £1900 and something and i live in the safest area with the safest parking ever.... it was £1450 insured under a family members name using his 15 years no claims!!

So how have you swindled that that because with 2 years no claims and me been 19, nearly 20 they still are charging me £1450 for the 10 month policy...?

Dave
depends who you're with, im 26 with 0 NCB but have had my licence for 3 years but just not driven much in that time, everywhere i was getting £1500+ quotes for a modded 1.8t sport but bell insurance gave me £900 on the same car, same details.

OK seeing as my sport is odd and has no sun or AC. Is there any chance they added AC but it broke and they replace the switches with standard. What does the AC unit look like under the bonet?

lol! no, it's not broken and been replaced.

The sunroof wasn't standard fit for any spec after about '99 and AC was always an option on the non Turbo. Whoever ordered your car simply never spec'd either.

Think the answer to insurance is move to north scotland, Im 23 just replaced my 318 ci with an S3 and admiral are charging me 832 quid fully comp, and i aint got any no claims and 6 points :busted_cop: nearly cried with happiness when the quote came back!!

BTW if u do come north get some wooly jumpers!! - great roads though

I wouldn't recommend any members of the Admiral Group for insurance. I've heard they have a nasty habit of not giving very good pay-outs, if you make a claim. Yes, they are cheap initially, but it could cost you more in the end.
I guess they are ok if you have a run of the mill car, but if you have a particularly good example of a car, or a modified one. The Glasses Guide doesn’t account for that, and you won’t get anywhere near what the car is worth. There are a few BTDTs on this.
Agreed minimal value policies are the way to go, if you’re car is worth more than an average one.

Members of the Admiral Group are:
Bell Direct
Diamond
Gladiator Commercial
elephant.co.uk.

Hear what your saying secret, however my main bone of contention was location, i am in North Scotland due to my chosen career and it is very likely in the not too distant future i will be returning back to the land of muchos qouteos, not looking forward to seeing my new premium.

p.s. quite happy to receive market value for my motor as it has done most of its depreciation, i bought it for its character and performance not resale value.

as to regards insurance im only 17 havnt been driving long maybe 6 months its costing me £3k TPFT on my mums but they're saying i can get the no claims if i make it next year.

So when im 18 i'll have 2 years NCB hopefully got a year NCB from my bike insurance.

What sort of price you think i'll be looking at when im 18 with 2 years NCB going on my own policy?

Jason

£3k tpft, yikes :)

dunno about price, but when you get yours, add your mum as a secondary driver, should make it a bit cheaper.

or see how direct line work with their "all named drivers get no claims" deal.

silver75 said:
Do that instead of wasting money on kits... most of them look poor for the A3 except maybe the Zender one. Painting the lowers totally transforms the look of the car.

I like my Project Zwo lowers and skirts i got from the audi stealer. It was a bargain though as they were clearing them from stock... Paid £240 for the set. Came with all the mesh and fixings. The paint cost me about 50 quid inc thinners and laquer. Luckily i have my own spray setup so i saved a bunch in labour. They fitted an absolute treat which took an afternoon. Dont buy any of the imitation crap you see on ebay cos you are pretty much guarenteed it will be a b1tch to fit.

It is a far cry from an S3 but certanly makes it look agressive without defacing the subtle audi styling. Check out my gallery and tell me what you think. Im getting some 18" Kai Force 10 wheels next week... il post some pics when they are on. Think you can buy these kits for about 400 which i still dont think is bad considering the guarenteed fitment and all the bits they include. Oh and instructions come with that.

BTW, Elephant upped my insurance by 16 quid for fitting the kit. They said they would only replace it with standard though if i smashed it so im trying to be careful...(almost ripped my front spoiler off when i was in france last month- was reversing out of a parking space. They have stupid metal bars between some spaces mounted about 7 inches abobe the ground.) Luckily it jst came unclipped on one side but totalled my inner wheelarch liner- if anone has a spare near side one of these, il be willing to buy it off you!!)

Hope this post is of some help.

Cheers
Dave
Hope this post helps.

Fandango80 said:
Think you can buy these kits for about 400 which i still dont think is bad considering the guarenteed fitment and all the bits they include. Oh and instructions come with that.
got a link?

Nah sorry, that was the rough price they were when i bought mine. Il have a better look later and let you know if i find anything which is worth a look

if you know please tell me where can i get s3 bumpers?

thank you..