EBC vs Standard Brakes

audi_girl

Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I was using EBC Greenstuff Pads & Grooved Front Discs until recently, and never having really used standard discs didn't have anything to compare them to.

Changed back to standard recently due to end of life of the front discs (back still fine) and wow what a difference.

The main difference (other than the fact the EBC's make a grindy noise when stopping as the grooves clean the pad surface) seems to come when finally stopping - with the EBC's you brake to slow down and then you can push harder on the brake pedal and get more bite and stop. With the standard discs you brake to slow down, press harder but carry on slowing down at the same rate.

Maybe I just have a weak foot, but there is definately a difference.

Havent got them very hot (difficult in rush hour travel on the M25) so not sure what the difference is there although I can vouch that the standard ones are bad when hot (an A3 loaner that almost got driven into a wall cos it wouldn't stop!!)

It's not your foot, I feel the same with the set on my A3T Jo. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Well Glen (Ess_Three) is basically running that setup and he finds it very agreeable, even though some say the greenstuffs are too harsh for standard discs and can cause warping, but Glen's not had these problems.

I say Glens are basically standard is because I believe they are drilled standard discs, and the drilling should not have a great deal of affect on heat transfer.

I had the EBC pads and discs on the front of my old BMW and it is indeed a strange noise they have - like a plane slowing down. I plan to get them for my A3 for better bite and for the fact that they dont make such a mess of your alloys. I too was curious as to how long the pads would take to warp standard discs. I'm sure my pads are glazed at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
it is indeed a strange noise they have - like a plane slowing down.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I love it...

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
[ QUOTE ]
khufu said:
it is indeed a strange noise they have - like a plane slowing down.

[/ QUOTE ]
And I love it...

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, I don't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Which is why I'm thinking about standard disks with Greenstuff pads /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have used greenstuff with standard discs for 2 years now with a track event at least every month for 6 months of the year and have had no problems with warping discs... I suffer from fade occassionly but only occasionaly.
If you are interested in selling the discs I would be interested provided they are in good shape.

I would go for the discs as well - the lack of bite at the end of braking is more due to the discs than the pads... only change the front discs..

Alex - I believe the noise is the grooves in the disc cleaning the surface of the pad... knowing that makes the noise quite cool 'cos it's doing something beneficial and I quite miss the noise now!

I used to get a whistle sound when I braked above 30mph on my old pug with the EBC discs & green stuff pads. It was the air being forced out of the grooves making the noise. Sounded quite cool!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

ive got front and rear ebc disks and greenstuff pads going on next week so i shall let ya know what i think of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jo, I'm glad youve posted this up as it has saved me asking the question about brakes again, as I know it has been covered quite a few times.

My front disks have about had it now. There is quite a large lip on the top of the disk and at the last service the Audi tech said they would maybe last another 5k-10k at the most before they were below tollerance and needed changing.
Its been doing my head in as every time someone mentions EBC disks and pads, the thread gets immediately jumped on with people saying they are crap and arnt worth the money get some Brembo or Porsche calipers. Which to be honest I dont think I need, and cant justify paying £850 up over, as I dont do track days and only very occasionally /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif get the brakes to a point where they have faded to nothing.
All I want is something that gives that little bit more confidence in the brake pedal, and doesnt fade to nothing after two or three stomps on the pedal.
As you have said I too have had a few moments where I have pressed the pedal that little bit harder and nothing happens apart from in the trouser department. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Stuart I'd be interested to hear what you think of them when you have them fitted.