Grill Removal - Yes i know....

dgannon69

Reaction score
its been talked about before! i've given it a few tries to remove my grille but am having no success whatsoever! the top seems to move outward slightly but thats about it.

Some instructions would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Dave

Which bit of the grille? The surround pops off but the grille itself is a bumper off job.

Rough guide - S3 Bumper removal ( I pressume the A3 is similar):

1. Open the bonnet. There are 4 black plastic plugs, poke their centres through with a small driver and try to catch them. The plugs then lift out.

2. There are about 3 or 4 screws in each of the inner front arch which need removing, they have a torx type head. Only remove the screws in the bumper vicinity.

3. There are two larger bolt/screws on the bottom of the bumper about 12" each way of the centre and two screws in the bottom at each end of the bumper.

4. The bumper then just pulls off relatively easily. If it doesn't come easily, you've probably missed a screw.

5. Be sure to have a blanket or similar to rest the bumper on. You will see the grille clips from behind which just clip off.

HI mate thanks for that info, its just the surround i want off so i can make it black but no matter what i did it would not pull off....

cheers Dave

I haven't got a scooby doo yet mate, from what other people have done on the forum i guess rub it down then use some sort of halfords paint and possibly laquer it although i don't want it looking shiney so i'm not too sure yet...
Any suggestions welcome...

Cheers
Dave

dgannon69 said:
HI mate thanks for that info, its just the surround i want off so i can make it black but no matter what i did it would not pull off....

cheers Dave
i pulled it off on my A3, by probably using too much force, wouldnt go back on so had to get the bumper off in the end anyway!

Get a really fine screwdriver and gently pry it. I started in the left upper corner. Just pry gently and try various points, once you get a start it easily pops off. Just take your time and be gentle and it will come off.

It won't be any easier by taking the grille off from behind as you'll still need to pry it apart!

A for painting:
I wiped mine down with turpentine substitute (white spirit) to degrease it, then de-icer (Isopropyl alcohol solution) then just sprayed it with Halfords saturn finish and it looks great.

I would laquer it though and polish it to try and eliminate stone chipping.