A3 1.8T/Sport/Quattro

dobsy

Reaction score
Complete newbie question, have searched the faq but can't find.
Basically, I'm looking at geting an A3 but need to know all the different types, is the 1.8T quattro sport the same as a 1.8t quattro and the seller has not just put in 'sport' in the ad or they different cars!? Same with the 1.8t? Theres loads on the trader but don't know if there's any difference.
Anyone help!?

Both the same - check out mine on the Classifieds... I may have a buyer for it but will know for sure after the weekend (hence the lack of photos)

Good Luck

Ive just bought a quattro T sport mate, and if i were you i would too, dont bother with the normal T sport, Quattro is the way! :)

TQS said:
Both the same - check out mine on the Classifieds... I may have a buyer for it but will know for sure after the weekend (hence the lack of photos)

Good Luck

Yeah that seems to be just what I'm after, just a bit too soon for me at the moment-I've got a Teg Type R that needs to go and it's hard to let go of,such a good car, still torn whether to keep it, go for the above or even an S3. So many pros and cons but the main one as usual is money!-Running costs, insurance etc!
Had the Type R for 2 and a half years which is the longest I've kept a car and just fancy a bit more refinement now-just don't want to be kicking myself if I do change.

So i gather theres a A3 1.8T sport and an A3 1.8T quattro sport then?

I thought that the sports had lower suspension and had a 3 spoke 'sport' badged steering wheel? plus some other interior differences...

The 1.8T (fwd) has 150 bhp as standard

The 1.8T quattro has 180 bhp (someone please correct me if i'm wrong on this)

Sport = 20mm lower ride height & sports suspension, sports seats (bit more supportive) and a few other bits and pieces.

"SE" would add leather or alacantra (suede) seats, air con and a slightly softer ride

it'll also depend what the original buyer selected as options when they bought the car

Mine is a 1.8T Quattro Sport. Has sport seats, leather wheel and gear knob. It is also a bit lower. Dont know if you can get a 1.8T Quattro without the sporty bits? Anyone?

Get the Quattro for the extra 30bhp and 4wd then get it remapped. Mine is a little quicker than a Type R now

Why get rid of the type r is all i can say if i was going from a type r to an A3 i wouldnt look at anything else other than S3's.....

Jason

quattro all the way, i just got an a3 quattro 1.8t sport a few weeks ago, loving it, couldnt recommend it anymore

i have a fwd a3 and its awsum too. i believe that there aint much in performance between the two with the added drivetrain drag of the quatro

from what i was told, all quattro models on the A3 are sport models. Also the sport models come with the Trip computer display (DIS) whereas SE models dont? Could be wrong tho.

Quattro's are all 1.8 turbo sports, sports get lowered suspension, sports seats, 3 spoke steering wheel, 16 or 17" wheels, a different (nicer) gear nob and electric sunroof as standard you also can have either leather seats or jaquared cloth (facelift) or staccatto(?) cloth prefacelift, I think later ones got electric lumbar support, remote central locking too..SE gets standard suspension, alcantara or leather trim, 4 spoke steering wheel, electric dimming mirror and climate control as standard as far as I know.
Obviously some of it depends on the spec chosen by the original buyer

ha! not all Quattro's are 1.8 turbo's ;)

erm.... yep your right :)

missed out foglights, dont think ive ever seen an SE with foglights

I think DIS may have been an optional extra on the sports models - it came as standard with the SE's

foglights were also an option on the fwd cars - not sure about the quatty's though - might be sttandard as everyone i've seen has them

robert_waite said:
Get the Quattro for the extra 30bhp and 4wd then get it remapped. Mine is a little quicker than a Type R now
Once remapped the FWD and Quattros will have the same power for the same model year, however the FWD will be ~300 kg lighter so ought to be faster.

As standard the Quattros are marginally faster on paper.

Is yours really quicker than an Integra Type R? Because the power-to-weight ratio is on the Integra's side, even if yours has been remapped.

I posted a PDF of the 2002 A3/S3 price guide in the S3 Buying Guide a little while ago - most of this can be figured out from that.

Download price list (scroll down to the "Free" button)

According to that list, turbo (except TDi, natch) and quattro were not available on anything other than the Sport models. There's a 1.8, 1.8 SE, 1.8 Sport, 1.8T Sport and 1.8T quattro Sport but no such thing as a 1.8 quattro :)

Sport models get more kit over SE as standard, quattro Sport more still. Most things missing can be added as options (most SE's I've seen have DIS and front fogs, despite not being standard kit) What really seems to be rare as hen's teeth is the mythical multi-function steering wheel. What luxury that must be!

What confuses me here is that it says that all sport models get "quattro GmbH sports suspension with lowered suspension and widened track" but then says this can be swapped for "normal" sports suspension at no cost. So does that mean there's three suspension setups - normal, normal sport and quattro sport? If so, how does one tell the difference :uhm:

the quattro gmbh suspension was availabe on the last of the line A3s, they had half leather seats 17" RS4s and white dials I think they are 03 on my car is a 52 and doesnt have it.. the 1st multi function steering wheel was the ugly four spoke one, looked rubbish.

Thanks for all the info people, really helped me out -turns out the S3 insurance quote is only a couple of hundred quid more so now I'm swaying even more towards that. As said on another thread, if I get the A3 quattro-how long will it be before I'm wanting the S3 anyway!

My Type R performance wise I imagine is similar but might have the edge in the twistys-the handling is just awesome. But I just feel the car is wasted on me, it begs to be tracked and ragged and abused, the ride is rock solid and noisy, and I'm just after a little more comfort and prestige now I think-maybe I'm getting old!! Plus it's time for a change.(I think)!

Decisions Decisions!!

silver75 said:
erm.... yep your right :)

missed out foglights, dont think ive ever seen an SE with foglights

they not std on sport either - mine don't have them on front.

but does have electrically adjustable half Leather seats, Climate control, 17" TT-RS alloys, Black headlining, Grey clocks(S3type), full closure alarm and centre armrest.

dobsy said:
Thanks for all the info people, really helped me out -turns out the S3 insurance quote is only a couple of hundred quid more so now I'm swaying even more towards that. As said on another thread, if I get the A3 quattro-how long will it be before I'm wanting the S3 anyway!

My Type R performance wise I imagine is similar but might have the edge in the twistys-the handling is just awesome. But I just feel the car is wasted on me, it begs to be tracked and ragged and abused, the ride is rock solid and noisy, and I'm just after a little more comfort and prestige now I think-maybe I'm getting old!! Plus it's time for a change.(I think)!

Decisions Decisions!!

I'm in the same boat as you! It's just getting the extra cash together to buy a decent S3. :wacko:

silver75 said:
the quattro gmbh suspension was availabe on the last of the line A3s, they had half leather seats 17" RS4s and white dials I think they are 03 on my car is a 52 and doesnt have it.. the 1st multi function steering wheel was the ugly four spoke one, looked rubbish.

Yeah, mine is one of the very last A3 Quatty's with quite a few extras too..including storage and light pack, dunno if that was standard??

Just my personal opinion but I think that the S3 is a bit boy racer whereas the A3 seems to look more refined and grown up with less shiney bits to attract local scallys.
:tumble:

TQS said:
Just my personal opinion but I think that the S3 is a bit boy racer whereas the A3 seems to look more refined and grown up with less shiney bits to attract local scallys.
:tumble:

go on son! :aggressive:

The Slug said:
..including storage and light pack, dunno if that was standard??
I dunno whats the storage pack? I got the light pack cant tell what it is except reading light? All I know is I really wish I had the half leather seats as my driving seat side bolster is getting stripey..

silver75 said:
go on son! :aggressive:

I dunno whats the storage pack? I got the light pack cant tell what it is except reading light? All I know is I really wish I had the half leather seats as my driving seat side bolster is getting stripey..

is that the sliding storage bins in the front seats?

The Slug said:
Yeah, mine is one of the very last A3 Quatty's with quite a few extras too..including storage and light pack, dunno if that was standard??

mine was late march 2003 - when was last?

Timbo said:
Once remapped the FWD and Quattros will have the same power for the same model year, however the FWD will be ~300 kg lighter so ought to be faster.

As standard the Quattros are marginally faster on paper.

Is yours really quicker than an Integra Type R? Because the power-to-weight ratio is on the Integra's side, even if yours has been remapped.

The Quattro has a K03s Turbo and when remapped should be more than a k03. The Quattro has 180bhp as Standard and FWD has 150bhp. I doubt that a remap would genuinely give and extra 30bhp to a FWD? Not arguing someone is welcome to correct me on this, just my thought. My car definitely went to 211bhp and they held off a bit as it was only for 95ron fuel as I am tight!

Mine is definitely quicker than a 'civic' Type R as I thought that is what we were talking about. Dont know about an Integra.

robert_waite said:
The Quattro has a K03s Turbo and when remapped should be more than a k03. The Quattro has 180bhp as Standard and FWD has 150bhp. I doubt that a remap would genuinely give and extra 30bhp to a FWD? Not arguing someone is welcome to correct me on this, just my thought. My car definitely went to 211bhp and they held off a bit as it was only for 95ron fuel as I am tight!

Mine is definitely quicker than a 'civic' Type R as I thought that is what we were talking about. Dont know about an Integra.

I think Dobsy has an Integra Type R. The performance is pretty similar to a Civic Type R though.

You're right, the K03s should flow a bit better than the K03 and should therefore give a bit more power when remapped.

AFAIK whether the car's got a K03 or a K03s is dependent on model year rather than whether it was a 150bhp or a 180bhp to start with - the 150s and 180s just have different factory maps. Hence my comment about model years.

My K03 engined FWD made a "corrected" 197.8 bhp on the rollers when remapped, but since the ambient temp. on the readout is 51 celsius (!!!) I think we can take that with a pinch of salt. Somewhere between 180-190bhp might be more realistic but we'll never know without taking the engine out and attaching it to a bench dyno (which of course I'm not going to do).

I as just wondering really whether you'd raced a Type R (Civic/Integra) or if it was seat-of-pants dyno.

I raced an 04 Plate grey Civic Type R from when I joined the A21 from the M25 on the 22nd Sept on the way back from Gatwick. I pulled out to join and he was driving like a bell end and drove about 6ft from my bumper. I pulled about 10 car lengths on him up the hill then pulled away every time I had a gap in traffic. Whilst waiting for other cars to move over he still came right up my ****. As I passed the Tonbridge / Hildenborough turning he was behind me. The road was clear so I drove like a wally and the gap grew until the 'wife system' cut in and by then I was approaching a Truvelo so I slowed down. The I pulled off and went home with ear ache from the wife. I know it doesnt really prove anything as we were both on a straight road.

Since I had my car remapped I have replaced the exhaust for a bigger bore as Jabba said this was why my car was not producing around 220-230bhp. I would love to get it on the rollers again and I am gutted I cant get to AMD as I am working. Will get it on the rollers next time I am at Jabba but for now I have a piece of paper saying it went from 187bhp to 211bhp and it drives well enough for me.

Have to say though that along a twisty back road I got whipped by a 106GTi last week. I had to take a few cheeky racing lines to keep up whilst it went along like a scalectric car!

I am happy with my car and that is all that really matters in my opinion!

Not trying to have an argument or get anyones back up

Sorry just read that dobsy put 'Teg Type R'. I read this quickly as T reg! Thought that was a bit old! I am clearly not hip or coll enough to understand all the abbreviations!

Come on Dobsy race me! (joke)

robert_waite said:
I raced an 04 Plate grey Civic Type R from when I joined the A21 from the M25 on the 22nd Sept on the way back from Gatwick. I pulled out to join and he was driving like a bell end and drove about 6ft from my bumper. I pulled about 10 car lengths on him up the hill then pulled away every time I had a gap in traffic. Whilst waiting for other cars to move over he still came right up my ****. As I passed the Tonbridge / Hildenborough turning he was behind me. The road was clear so I drove like a wally and the gap grew until the 'wife system' cut in and by then I was approaching a Truvelo so I slowed down. The I pulled off and went home with ear ache from the wife. I know it doesnt really prove anything as we were both on a straight road.
LOL @ "wife system"! You would definitely have a mid-range torque advantage over the CTR.

robert_waite said:
I am happy with my car and that is all that really matters in my opinion!
Absolutely.

robert_waite said:
Not trying to have an argument or get anyones back up
I was just playing devil's advocate. Civic/Integra Type Rs are pretty quick so I was surprised at what you said in the first place. Not having either driven a Type R, or a remapped 1.8TQ, or tried to out-accellerate either, I didn't know but had assumed the Type R would be faster.

robert_waite said:
Sorry just read that dobsy put 'Teg Type R'. I read this quickly as T reg! Thought that was a bit old! I am clearly not hip or coll enough to understand all the abbreviations!

Come on Dobsy race me! (joke)

T Reg old?!!

Mines a ****** 1998 R reg! Prehistoric! (another reason a new car is on the horizon)

Would'nt have a Civic personally-don't get me wrong, good cars but becoming more and more common and seem to be attracting the wrong crowd!

As for a race-I'll meet you at the Nurburgring!!!

I meant old for a Civic Type R (did they make them on a T plate?).

I have just brought a 1984 Mk1 golf Gti Convertible so am not really in a position to talk.

Might skip the race as I am well aware all i would be looking at would be your car getting smaller as mine wallows and slides around the corners.

sprout99 said:
is that the sliding storage bins in the front seats?

yes, light pack was vanity mirrors with lamps and door footwell lamps too.

and yes march 2003 i think was the last of them..

I had a Y plate Golf GTI T (150bhp) and it had a K03S - It re-mapped at from 170bhp to Jabba to 232bhp. Strange that it produced 170bhp as standard, maybe his rollers were reading 20bhp high at the time?

Anyhow my mate took me out in his Integra TR so I ordered a CTR and at the time they were brand new so there were none about to test drive and when I took delivery I was sooo very very dissapointed.

I actually still had the Golf which had sold but the guy hadn't come back with the rest of the money and it was truely gutting seeing that go. I had to keep the frickin piece of ***** CTR for nearly a year too!

Maybe i'm being a little harsh as the gearbox was sublime and I admire the engineering which has gone into the engine but they really cheapened the 'Type-R' brand with that car, it was like driving around in an ikea kitchen!

DC2 ITR is twice the car the CTR is!

nervus said:
DC2 ITR is twice the car the CTR is!

Amen to that!

So I reckon the search will soon be on for an S3. Ideally 2000/01 under 50k miles, I have a thing for low mileage cars with FSH-the honda had 18k on it when I bought it which was unreal for a then 5/6 year old car.

Thanks again to everyones info but from what started as a 'looking at an A3' thread has turned into 'I may aswell go the whole hog and go for an S3' thread!!

Top forum this by the way.

robert_waite said:
I have just brought a 1984 Mk1 golf Gti Convertible so am not really in a position to talk.

Excellent choice! I've recently got a 1986 MK2 16v Gti in Monza Blue (love that colour) off Ebay for a laugh! Turns out it needs a bit of welding to get through the MOT so need a bit of motivation to get of my backside and sort it.

Would love a MK1 though.

dobsy said:
Excellent choice! I've recently got a 1986 MK2 16v Gti in Monza Blue (love that colour) off Ebay for a laugh! Turns out it needs a bit of welding to get through the MOT so need a bit of motivation to get of my backside and sort it.
Nice! I met a chap at a track day recently who had built a track day Mk 2 GTI 16V which had done the Nürburgring Nordschleife in under 9 minutes. I think he'd spent many times the purchase price on it though!

Challenge Churchill!!
Just been quoted online the same premium for both the S3 and the A3 Quattro Sport! How they work that out I don't know.
Seems Direct Line are coming out the cheapest so far. All a bit odd as the S3 quote is cheaper than my Integra even though the Audi is worth more, newer and more powerful. Thought they were both group 18? Still-not complaining though!