Powerflex sizes

bioharry

Reaction score
Hello,

I am after a bit of information and advise.

I have been told that the lower rear wishbone bushes are very worn on my S3 so have been advised to replace them.

This has given me the idea to change all of the bushes as the steering feels very slack and there seems to be a lot of body roll which i never thought was that bad before.

So to the questions.

My car is a June 2001 S3

1. What size anti-roll bar mounts will be required.

2. What size wishbone arm will have been used on the car as the seller mentions a later arm using a larger bush.

3. How long would it take to fit the bushes by a very inexperienced enthusiast or experienced mechanic.

4. Are there any special tools required in replacing the bushes?

5. Would worn wishbone bushes cause a lack of grip and a problem whereby the car will pull to the left when power is applied.

Thanks in advance

Hey there fella, I just changed all of my bushes a few weeks ago, have a look at my earlier post:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=27612&highlight=Bushes

I would advice a change in ARB to reduce body roll (it has helped me tons). As for your questions, here goes:

1) I don't know this as I got a new set of bushes when I ordered the ARBs, but I'm guessing it's the standard S3 ARB which I can't remember the sizes of.

2) Well the wishbone bushes I got seemed much larger than the original but I never specified a larger bush, I just mentioned that I wanted all the bushes for a 2002 S3 and that's what I got.

3) I would say LONG. It took my local garage around 3 hours for the lot with ARBs, but I've seen that some bushes are a real pain to remove and I wouldn't try it out myself <-----(semi amateur)

4) Can't help u there.

5) I would have thought so, but then again I can't really comment on this (I don't know my stuff as well as most people in this forum)

Hope this helps, and good luck :beerchug:. Here's a pic of all the bushes in the kit:
Bushes.jpg

Thanks for the info Defratos. Very helpful.

Think i am going to order I them just need the following questions answered.

My car is a June 2001 S3

1. What size front anti-roll bar mounts will be required. What is the standard front anti roll bar size?

2. What size wishbone arm will have been used on the car as the seller mentions a later arm using a larger bush.

Defratos - Could you say where you ordered your bushes from?

Thanks

On the powerflex site or at least in the book they give out to resellers it tells you the part number printed on the wishbones to allow you to match the different wishbone bushes. So ask the seller and have a look to be sure.

The front wishbone bushes can be a touch problematic to change yourself, getting the old ones out is easy given a drill bit that won't snap and a hacksaw to get through the metal outer ring. I found that getting the new ones in was the problem - I used a 10 ton hydrualic press and even that needed to be set to push the powerflex bushes in perfectly square or it would try to cut the lips off the bush.

With the size bush you need for the ARB, again I think the seller should be able to tell you from the information they have from powerflex.

Your pulling problem could be the knackered wishbone bushes, but would be more likely to be somthing along the lines of poor allignment or a ******** track rod / ball joint.

You will need your wheels alligned if you get these bushes done.

I got my bushes from JBRperformance - Rich on this site but they should be the same price (or there abouts) from anywhere - vagparts sell them online and can probably help to make sure you get the correct ones as they know their stuff.