How much do A3 and S3 really cost?

OK! So, swiftly returning to the topic in hand...

I finally took the plunge today and bought a CB/Blk cab, having always sworn that coupes were "proper" sports cars! (Before you flame, remember the original question in this post from me!)

Well, I drove the cab, and hearing you lot argue so vehemently, I had to go find out for myself, so I found a brand new one, and should have it next week! (I can almost visualise Tooney with his head in his hands, saying "but Friday it was a Bluewater coupe, and Saturday it was the coupe and an EB cab in April, now it's a cab! - Tooney, sorry!)

Having driven one hard today, in the current conditions, I have to admit, I was very pleasantly surprised... And take back any knocking I may have
blush.gif
given before!

Let's see what the next few months bring...

Congratulations mate!!
mexwave.gif
mexwave.gif
mexwave.gif
mexwave.gif

Jeez, these mexican waves mess up your eyes if you put a bunch together!!

[ 07 January 2003, 00:10: Message changed or edited by: Azura ]

Sorry to drag this back onto the subject, but in this week's sub-zero temps I can confirm that the Cab is NOT cold to drive.

I find the heater is highly effective and with the heated seats (thanks to so much sound advice from this forum) I am as cozy as a bug in a rug.

I had the roof down on the Saturday before Christmas, windows up, heated seats on, fantastic! Don't think I'll try it this week though...but then again - I might!

As for all the other issues I agree with Ben, they are both brilliant cars, different strokes for different folks!

Some person mentioned An Audi TT with roof down a few posts back. I can vouch with roof down heated seats on and heating on I was very wam when i had mine. Went round the M25 last year with the roof down in the pooring rain and was totally dry and warm also.

I dont own an M3 or Cab so can't comment but in general Cabs are worthy cars.

Roof down, pouring rain, stayed dry.

How do do that then?

confused.gif

Hugh,

The aerodynamics push the rain over the car rather than into it if you travel over 35mph ish. I got lots of strange looks!

Ooh clever these engineering/designer types aren't they.

But I am puzzled, are you sderiously saying you were doing over 35mph on the M25?

For more than half a mile?

Middle of the night?
Christmas day?
Lane closed for maintenance?
grin.gif
grin.gif

Had the roof down on the cab yesterday, it seems to operate fine around zero degrees, although when I was at Oulton park it was
-4c and the the roof wouldn't go down till things warmed up a bit.

You can't beat it, heated seats on, wind deflector up, set the heater at around 22.0c and you can enjoy the winter sunshine.
grin.gif

I've been caught in the rain a couple of times as well and if you keep the speed up it does seem to mostly go over the top.

[ 07 January 2003, 17:18: Message changed or edited by: JumJum ]

Originally posted by 17ND:
I can almost visualise Tooney with his head in his hands, saying "but Friday it was a Bluewater coupe, and Saturday it was the coupe and an EB cab in April, now it's a cab! - Tooney, sorry!

<font size="2" face="verdana,Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Haha lol! Enjoy the car Neil - whats going to happen to your cab order at sytners then? You still going to change in april or are you happy
cool.gif

I'll forgive you as long as you take some bluewater pics for the gallery
wink.gif
Also the 996 turbo is an absolute beast of a car!
wow.gif

The cab wasn't ever confirmed, so if anyone is after a cab to their spec for delivery April/May, Sytner High Wycombe is the place to go. I dealt with Iain O'Hara!

I am happy for now, but need to drive the cab for a while - first one - to see how I get on, and if I do like it as much as I think I will then I think an EB with blue hood is in the offing!

So, I am going to have to seek forgiveness in another way (I MEAN PICTURES!) because I don't think Sytner will be overly happy if I try and take any pictures of the Bluewater car to post...

996 Turbo - unbelievable car, but it had to go because I was either going to end up in jail or worse, in the ground! Glad you like the photos though...

I've not got heated seats in my convertible but the car warms up just like any other after a few minutes. Let's face it with all that glass the heat's going to escape whether it's a tin top or a rag top. I happily put the top down in any dry weather, somehow it's not the temperature that matters so much as if the sun's shining. The annoying thing is the need to run the car for a while with the heater on to dry out the roof (shouldn't be stored when wet/frozen) - no garage!

The big world marketing machine sells stuff to us based on very fine tolerances. 1/10ths of second here, a few mph there. I bought a convertible knowing that it was 200kg heavier than the coupe, would handle slightly less well, have less boot space/rear legroom, seats that aren't quite as good and creak a bit. BUT I can put the roof down and that works for me.

Of the drawbacks listed the performance aspect is the least important to me in the real world because I don't push so hard on public roads to the point where any coupe/convertible differences would become apparent anyway.

It would be interesting to get the STIG to do some laps in each to see how much quicker the coupe is. Perhaps if someone wanted to volunteer the use of their vehicles Top Gear could do a feature? (not me, no way!)

[ 08 January 2003, 17:26: Message changed or edited by: Oversteer ]

Hey I was wondering on how much in american due a3's or s3's cost because im thinkin about buying one. My only problem is getting it over to the u.s any ideas on how much it would cost to get it shipped here to?

This has been a topic on www.vwvortex.com many times. The easy part is getting it to America, the hard part is getting the car through the authorities and registered to drive on the road.

If you go to the VW Vortex site and head to the Car Lounge there will be some guys who know more about this than me.

Good Luck!

For a S3 under a year old you are looking at £23000 - £26000 depending on spec.

38,235.39 USD - 43,222.06 USD