Monster MotorsportBadger5
    You’re Dethpicable!!

Status

Red face SMIC Installed (& about time too)

Finally installed the SMIC (as it should have been) and managed to feed a cold air pipe for my airfilter, enjoy the pics:

P.S. Thanks for all the help you guys gave me, it helped a lot with the whole bumper removal and IC installation

from this:

To this:

Cold air feed:

Last edited by Defratos; 23rd September 2006 at 02:18.
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Looks neat Daf, question is, has it improved performance?

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - ÂŁ400

5th Gear

Status
    nice one mate, glad its all sorted now.

5th Gear

Status
    looks good, I would paint that silver cold air feed trumpet black though, so it dissappears into the black void behind the foglight grill.

Other than that i hope your troubles have been solved.
    Audi RS3

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status
    Performance wise it seems to have helped. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears seem to be faster (especially around 5k onwards) just need to see how it does on the motorway, and the suction sounds a bit different (like a deeper noise).

P.S. Does anyone know if I would be able to fit two cold air pipes to the fog lights? Maybe with some wire modification (movement)?
    2002 S3 BAM | Jabba Re-Map | Uprated Haldex | Koni adjustable coilovers | Neuspeed ARBs | Powerflex Bushes | ECS tie-bars | Dog bone | Eibach spacers | TTDA | T'Dynamics DV | Dieselgeek short shift | Toyos | MIJ Custom Exhaust | Sound system | Security Tints |

Audi S3-BAM

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Defratos
    Performance wise it seems to have helped. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears seem to be faster (especially around 5k onwards) just need to see how it does on the motorway, and the suction sounds a bit different (like a deeper noise).

P.S. Does anyone know if I would be able to fit two cold air pipes to the fog lights? Maybe with some wire modification (movement)?
    Of course you could, whats next w4nker lights?

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nervus
    Of course you could, whats next w4nker lights?
    lol, not really, I don't like 'em, why does the Tube or IC look chavi??

Audi S3-BAM

5th Gear

Status
    I got good cooling with the set-up,but major pressure drop.
    Beware the Standard Yellow Banana!!

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status
    what would be the effects of the pressure drop? and a single larger FMIC would sort that out right?

Audi S3-BAM

Neutral

Status
    pressure drop just means you lose boost pressure.....hence less power. This is because the same equipment (i.e turbo) has to pressurise a larger area than before.
    Imagine being allowed only one intake of breath and blowing up 2 balloons of different sizes, the larger one will obviously have inflated less,or in other words have less pressure inside than the smaller one.

So no a larger FMIC will not sort it out, it will actually make it worse.
    Ideally you want an FMIC of similar total volume to your 2 standard ones,thus minimising the pressure drop/ increase in lag but improving the airflow.

Obviously cooler air has its advantages too though, its down to you which you prefer - Cooler air so the power fades less as you drive for long periods of time, or an initially greater bhp output that suffers from more heat soak.

hope that helps.
    Last edited by funkymofo; 26th September 2006 at 15:04.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by funkymofo
    Obviously cooler air has its advantages too though, its down to you which you prefer - Cooler air so the power fades less as you drive for long periods of time, or an initially greater bhp output that suffers from more heat soak.
    True, true...
    I never noticed any pressure loss with my similar set up...

Besides, a chipped K04 runs hot...if you keep the air charge cold you can increade ignition advance and make more power than you may potentially loose by pressure drop.

I would have thought that on a K04 with it's limited volume shifting ability you will only potentially loose peak boost - the sustained boost should be the same but with a possible slight lag.
    So, turn up the peak boost to compensate...and enjoy cold inlet temps...

Please note:
    The views expressed on Audi-Sport.net are the personal views of its contributors (including me), and not that of the Website or the Moderator/Administration team.

You’re Dethpicable!!

Status
    Right, things are kinda starting to make sense. So does anyone have any idea as to what total volume the 2 standard SMICs are? so as to get a rough idea of what size I'll be looking for? Even if you know the forge volume?

Audi S3-BAM