SMIC Installed (& about time too)

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Finally installed the SMIC (as it should have been) and managed to feed a cold air pipe for my airfilter, enjoy the pics:

P.S. Thanks for all the help you guys gave me, it helped a lot with the whole bumper removal and IC installation :beerchug:

from this:
1st.jpg

To this:
2nd.jpg

3rd.jpg

Cold air feed:
4th.jpg

5th.jpg

looks good, I would paint that silver cold air feed trumpet black though, so it dissappears into the black void behind the foglight grill.

Other than that i hope your troubles have been solved.

Performance wise it seems to have helped. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears seem to be faster (especially around 5k onwards) just need to see how it does on the motorway, and the suction sounds a bit different (like a deeper noise).

P.S. Does anyone know if I would be able to fit two cold air pipes to the fog lights? Maybe with some wire modification (movement)?

Defratos said:
Performance wise it seems to have helped. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears seem to be faster (especially around 5k onwards) just need to see how it does on the motorway, and the suction sounds a bit different (like a deeper noise).

P.S. Does anyone know if I would be able to fit two cold air pipes to the fog lights? Maybe with some wire modification (movement)?

Of course you could, whats next w4nker lights?:moa:

I got good cooling with the set-up,but major pressure drop.

pressure drop just means you lose boost pressure.....hence less power. This is because the same equipment (i.e turbo) has to pressurise a larger area than before.
Imagine being allowed only one intake of breath and blowing up 2 balloons of different sizes, the larger one will obviously have inflated less,or in other words have less pressure inside than the smaller one.

So no a larger FMIC will not sort it out, it will actually make it worse.
Ideally you want an FMIC of similar total volume to your 2 standard ones,thus minimising the pressure drop/ increase in lag but improving the airflow.

Obviously cooler air has its advantages too though, its down to you which you prefer - Cooler air so the power fades less as you drive for long periods of time, or an initially greater bhp output that suffers from more heat soak.

hope that helps.

funkymofo said:
Obviously cooler air has its advantages too though, its down to you which you prefer - Cooler air so the power fades less as you drive for long periods of time, or an initially greater bhp output that suffers from more heat soak.

True, true...
I never noticed any pressure loss with my similar set up...

Besides, a chipped K04 runs hot...if you keep the air charge cold you can increade ignition advance and make more power than you may potentially loose by pressure drop.

I would have thought that on a K04 with it's limited volume shifting ability you will only potentially loose peak boost - the sustained boost should be the same but with a possible slight lag.
So, turn up the peak boost to compensate...and enjoy cold inlet temps...