Aargh... please help....

Jaffa

"Your nothing more than a line in my book"
Reaction score
The fuel gauge on my A3 TDI (01') has been reading oddly for a while, when the tank is full the gauge shows 3 quarters and when there is approx a quarter tank left the gauge shows empty.

I have replaced the Fuel Level Sender unit, filled the tank and the gauge still shows 3/4's so its made no difference.

Can anyone suggest any other solution??

Its not exactly a major problem just an annoying one.

Thanks, Jaffa.

when you say the fuel sender unit, do you mean the float in the actual tank ?

Dunno if the TDi has the same setup as the S3, but the S3 has 2 senders in the tank.
Mine did the same thing, wrong readings etc, I believe it was kinda commonplace.

Hey guys,
Yeah the actual float and sender that sits on top of the tank, the only other thing im thinking is a breakdown in the wiring between the sender and the gauge???
Saying that the gauge seems to be reading a bit more acurate now so I guess ill see how it goes.

Cheers.

I've noticed that when I fill my tank up to the brim, the gauge takes a while before it goes to the full mark. Can be 5-10 minutes driving sometimes! I've only just noticed it as I've always previously filled to just over half, as a full tank is unnecessary weight. I've got to travel up to Glasgow to get V-Power these days so get a full tank since I'm travelling so far.

Peloton said:
I've noticed that when I fill my tank up to the brim, the gauge takes a while before it goes to the full mark. Can be 5-10 minutes driving sometimes! I've only just noticed it as I've always previously filled to just over half, as a full tank is unnecessary weight. I've got to travel up to Glasgow to get V-Power these days so get a full tank since I'm travelling so far.

Mine goes straight up on start up after a fill, no delay at all?!

Hey guys,
Cheers for all the help.
My gauge seems to be erratic, i.e straight after a fill it will read 3/4 full. Then after 10-15mins of driving it may creep up to full.
Next time I start the car it may read just under 3/4 full??????

It definately aint the sender or wiring on top of the sender... so Im at a loss.

Oh well just have to put up with it I guess.

Thanks again.

Infact, as a bit of a tester, I got my other half to fill my car up :p with the keys still in the ignition, but not running. The fuel gauge goes up as the fuel is topped up, so it's instant!

Have done a full search on here and a few posts mension a second fuel level sender??? Anyone know if this is right?

Could it be something else? i.e faulty fuel gauge?

I know its a minor fault but it is really annoying and I would like to get it sorted.

Thanks again.

Ok guys,
After a diagnostic check at Audi today it brought up what may be the problem:
00668 053 - on board voltage, terminal 30 voltage supply too low sporadic
00771 050 - fuel gauge sender - G open circuit/short circuit to positive sporadic

Would these point to the problem? Or is it just the computer seeing that connections have been removed i.e when I changed the sender unit?

Thanks in advance.