Alarm horn location...?

S3 YEA

Reaction score
Hi esteemed and knowledgeable owners...
Can anyone tell me for sure where the alarm horn is on an S3? ETKA suggests its under the bonnet between the wipers, but many people say its in the boot under the amp!:uhm:

Anyone know for defo?

Thanks v much!:thumbsup:

Its in the boot. Left hand side cubby hole (as your looking into the boot)

I have the beeping problem with my alarm siren unit, anyone know if it's just a simple straight swap if I get the part from Audi, or will the alarm system throw a fit if I unplug it?

I'd prefer to swap it myself as I have an AndyMac sub in there and don't want the garage to fiddle about with it or claim it was more difficult a job to do and sting me for even more hourly rate!!

Thanks.

On my A3 (1996 model) the central locking unit is in the boot with the alarm remote receiver but the alarm horn is in the scuttle panel underneath where the wipers sit?:uhm:

SimonP said:
I have the beeping problem with my alarm siren unit, anyone know if it's just a simple straight swap if I get the part from Audi, or will the alarm system throw a fit if I unplug it?

I'd prefer to swap it myself as I have an AndyMac sub in there and don't want the garage to fiddle about with it or claim it was more difficult a job to do and sting me for even more hourly rate!!

Thanks.

Exactly the same as me mate!! Exactly!! Interested to hear what people say about this, cos I need to fix it! Its a real nussance!

This is what's in the boot of my A3.

I removed it from the car about six months ago. It would start beeping about 30 minutes after I locked the car. Most annoying, so it had to go! I still need to get round to fitting the new one. The unit has a battery back-up, which I believe can fail over time.
Vag-Com described the fault as alarm horn - no power, or something like that.

It's not a very hard job to remove/replace.

I removed the rear and side boot trim, to make access easier.
Then one needs to remove the CD changer, subwoofer, central locking pump. The siren is right down the bottom of the well in the left rear of the boot, below these parts.

P/N for the siren is 8L0 951 605.

HTH.

Secret Squirrel said:
This is what's in the boot of my A3.

I removed it from the car about six months ago. It would start beeping about 30 minutes after I locked the car. Most annoying, so it had to go! I still need to get round to fitting the new one. The unit has a battery back-up, which I believe can fail over time.
Vag-Com described the fault as alarm horn - no power, or something like that.
HTH.

That's great stuff thanks for the help - nice to see a picture as we can see what we're looking for. Also good to know that it can be whipped out without causing the car to shut down, everything need re-coding, etc etc.

I just thought I ought to post a picture of the new siren, to save confusion.

8L0 951 605 has been replaced with 8L0 951 605 A.
It looks quite different, but it should fit ok with the original bracket.

I don't know tbh. The only time I've heard the alarm is when it malfunctioned.
I'll see if I can get a dB meter and test them.

out of interest how much did the new horn cost as need to replace mine?!

Just done this job this morning on gumbygazs a3 1.8tq.....

what a nitemare! Bit of a pain trying to get it all out, but it is now...

2 reasons it had to be done... 1 because his alarm beep isn't working at all and 2 because the water tube had popped off and was peeing water all over the sub/alarm box......

Anyone got a price for the new alarm unit? secret squrriel? any ideas?

Is it a louder unit do you know as the original unit is toss for an alarm beep!!!

Any help appreciated...

Rich

I had the same problem with my a3 shortly after buying it. Got it done at the stealers for £126. According to the invoice the siren part (8L0 951 605 A) cost £79.11 inc. VAT.

J

hi guys just reading the thread you say there sumin wrong with the beeping ??? is the s3 alarm meant to beep when locking or unclocking as mine dont , would the horn need replacment ? its a 2001 facelift

Might be a daft question but based on the above photos i'm presuming the alarm battery is enclosed within the horn unit -could you not just replace the battery or is that not possible?

mines started beeping at me now as well - only happens when it's cold though :(

Sorry guys. I haven't got round to testing the new siren yet.

I didn't realise it was such an expensive item. I'm not sure I would've bothered with a new one at that price. The only noises the siren has ever made was when it was malfunctioning.

The girlfriends a3 just started to do the 4 beep thing this week, only no one else has heard it apart from her!!

Got to love this web site for sorting out the problems.
At least we now know whats causing it and what it looks like!!

I'm assuming it's just a case of unplug it and plug the new one in without having to reset anything??? Or does some form of fettling need to be done so that the alarm recognises all its components??

The original location is pants!! Yes its a good idea that its hidden away from thieves but whats the point if no one can hear it.
Im going to relocate mine. Ive done a few preliminary tests and have more air around the siren rather than a very enclosed space makes a 100% improved difference.
Watch this space......

You can cut the unit open with a junior hacksaw,there are two batteries inside dont know where you can buy them from as i didnt replace mine.The terminal to one of the batteries was corroded so i cleaned all the connections with some sand paper and put it back together,then sealed it with some silicone and it works perfect,still not very loud though.

Humm, wonder if maplins would sell a similar battery?? I might take the old unit apart and have a nosey seeing as it looks like it's going to have to be replaced so nothing to loose. I'll take pics, when i get round to it too.