Hey All.... First question from a newbie!!!

Jaffa

"Your nothing more than a line in my book"
Reaction score
Hi All,
Been reading the forum for a while.... great for information!!!

I have a question hopefully someone can answer.

The headlights on my 01' A3 seem to be pointing to the right (drivers side) from what I can tell the drivers side light is pointing straight and the passengers side light is pointing towards the drivers side?

I read somewhere that some cars have adjusters on the lights to set for european driving (i.e driving on the right) which would point the beam to more predomanantly to the right, does the A3 have this?

UK cars headlights should be more to the left (passengers side) to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic so Im hoping there is an adjuster otherwise ill have to get them professionally aligned.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Graham.

Welcome to the forum, dont know the answer to that to be honest :shrug:
I say take it to be professionally aligned

Yeah, take it to someone who knows what they're doing. It's not a hugely expensive job. Xenon headlights on the A3/S3 are known to wander.

Audi really need some consitancy in there service - I was gonna be charged £60 for the same thing!! :-(

Hello mate, welcome to the forum!

When i drove through Europe last month i had to adjust my headlights, this guide came in useful http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=17074&highlight=Adjusting+headlights

If you drive upto a garage door/ wall etc, put your lights on and then move these adjusters it is fairly obvious then if you are moving them in the correct direction.

Hope that is of some use to you!

Jaffa said:
Hi All,
Been reading the forum for a while.... great for information!!!

I have a question hopefully someone can answer.

The headlights on my 01' A3 seem to be pointing to the right (drivers side) from what I can tell the drivers side light is pointing straight and the passengers side light is pointing towards the drivers side?

I read somewhere that some cars have adjusters on the lights to set for european driving (i.e driving on the right) which would point the beam to more predomanantly to the right, does the A3 have this?

UK cars headlights should be more to the left (passengers side) to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic so Im hoping there is an adjuster otherwise ill have to get them professionally aligned.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Graham.

Right dude, under the bonnet above each of the headlights are two white plastic screws. turn the lights on and use an electric screwdriver to tweak them. They will adjust the lights. One up & down, one side to side. Note that its VERY easy to get them misaligned! Shine them at a wall or summat as you do it.

Thanks for all the help guys:icon_thumright:

Found the euro driving adjusters under the headlight covers and both are set as they should.

.... so im assuming the previous owner has had a play with the little white adjuster screws and got them all mis-aligned.
I dont trust myself to have a go at getting them right so ill take it to my local MOT station this week (or does it have to be Audi???) and get them to check using the machine they use for MOT's and adjust as required.

Thanks again!

Jaffa said:
Thanks for all the help guys:icon_thumright:

Found the euro driving adjusters under the headlight covers and both are set as they should.

.... so im assuming the previous owner has had a play with the little white adjuster screws and got them all mis-aligned.
I dont trust myself to have a go at getting them right so ill take it to my local MOT station this week (or does it have to be Audi???) and get them to check using the machine they use for MOT's and adjust as required.

Thanks again!

Prob doesn't HAVE to be Audi... Just some dude who knows whay they're doing! Its not easy to realign them once you've knackered it! :whistle2:

Quick question, do you have Xenon headlights? They were an option on A3's.

If not, just take it to any garage that does MOT's and they will allign them for you. If you have Xenons, you will need to put the lights in "learn mode" using vagcom before you adjust them.

S3 YEA said:
Its not easy to realign them once you've knackered it! :whistle2:

Cheers... thats filled me with confidence;)

Cant they use the machine they use for checking alignment on MOT's????
Obviously they will be way out.... surely its just a case of turning the screws until its right on the machine?????

Oh well will find out soon enough.

Cheers.