Problem with esp light on dash...

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hey dudes, most of the time the light stays off unless i turn it on, but sometimes when i start the car the esp is already on and wont turn off with the button. Does this mean thats its on for the whole jorney or just the sensor is faulty and saying thats its on when its not. The previous owner said he chnaged the sensor but it did nothing. What can i do, i have read about the vag com's how much are these and where can i get one from.

Thanks

Allan

VAGCOM is a computer program you put on a laptop then connect to the car. Not sure where you can get the software and how much it costs. Unless you're into fixing stuff yourself take it to a dealer for the diagnosis.

Jonesy said:
Hey dudes, most of the time the light stays off unless i turn it on, but sometimes when i start the car the esp is already on and wont turn off with the button. Does this mean thats its on for the whole jorney or just the sensor is faulty and saying thats its on when its not. The previous owner said he chnaged the sensor but it did nothing. What can i do, i have read about the vag com's how much are these and where can i get one from.

Thanks

Allan

OK -first things first.... The light is ON when the traction control is OFF.... This is a very very common fault. You have a busted lateral acceleration sensor (yaw sensor). Use a VAG-COM to confirm. It will say "implausible reading - lateral acceleration sensor". You will need to replace this sensor. It is VERY expensive... over £300, so my advice is to get one from a breaker. All Audi TT, Golf and A3 have the same sensor, but it was replaced by a different part numebr in about 2002. They are cross-functional though. Apparently, not to hard to fit. I'll let you know if that's true when I've installed mine which I just bought!!

OK -first things first.... The light is ON when the traction control is OFF.... This is a very very common fault.

You guys are confusing me. Yes, if the dashboard light is ON, then ESP is switched OFF. That's not a fault?

Ya when i start the car the light is just on, and when i press the esp button it does nothing.

So to clear this up, when the light is on, that means the esp is off. So its only working when the light isnt on which is every now and then, when this happens the button works and i can turn it on and off.

man this suks, im gonna have to take it easy, im sure my braking is affected cos esp copntrols the abs.

dang

Jonesy said:
Ya when i start the car the light is just on, and when i press the esp button it does nothing.

So to clear this up, when the light is on, that means the esp is off. So its only working when the light isnt on which is every now and then, when this happens the button works and i can turn it on and off.

man this suks, im gonna have to take it easy, im sure my braking is affected cos esp copntrols the abs.

dang

If the light is ON, the ESP is OFF... If when you start the car, the light is ON and pressing the ESP button doesn't switch the light OFF, then chances are you have a faulty yaw sensor <see my earlier post>

s3 yea have you fitted your sensor yet, how easy was it to fit, i just cant bring myself to spend 300 quid on a sensor which plays up every now and then. Does the light affect driving?

I had this problem on my 2001 A3 about 18 months ago. I took it to the stealer and they said it was a faulty relay which was located around the hazard light switch. they changed it and it was fine.
Your best bet is to find someone near you with Vag com or go to stealer for them to check it before you buy anything for it. Hope that helps.

As the above post mentions, it can be a multitude of things, get it checked with Vag-Com or take it to the dealer

hi guys i want to buy an 2002 audi s3 but the guys abs light and esp stays on.he says its a faulty relay but i need to know for sure???

what can i do?

thanks