S3 Electric Window Problem :(

jonS3

Reaction score
my drivers window was down and I pressed the switch to make it go up, and about half way up I heard a quite loud plastic crack, thought someone had thrown something at the window. the window then struggled to go up like there was a lot of resistance on it.

it goes down fine but goes up really slowly (due to resistance) and I can occasionally here a plastic noise from inside. anyone got any ideas?

also, how does the door casing come off? thanks?

thats great! although it seems like a lot more of a fix than I thought it would be!

I think my other window is going that way too, as it makes a grinding noise! Looks like all the parts I need are 4 of the 4B0 837 463B's to fix the lot!?

cheers

Be warned, it 'could' (I'm not saying it will but it is common especially on MK4 Golfs which is a very similar mech) actually drop into the door so I would advise not using the windows at all untill you've fixed it...very common.

Jon

its an easy job. Firts happened on my old A6 about 3 years ago,first the drivers door, then a few months later the passenger one.

The part number is the one I found and is originaly an A6 one as in the 4B0.

My only advice is to mark the wedges with a marker pen so that it makes lining the top of the door up easy.

Simon

ok, I understand I need 2 of these:

windowfix12.jpg

which are replaced by ordering 2 of the pink ones below, part number 4B0 837 463B:

untitledhm1.png

BUT, it shows this other clip:

windowfix11.jpg

and then a modified version of this clip:

untitled1dy6.jpg

Do I need a new one of these green clips for each side?

Sorry, that's my guide being a bit unclear. Just order the pink things. I'd buy 4 if I were you, as the're cheap.

yeah i got 4 of those for the dealers as they were only £1.85, only the drivers side is broken but i may as well do both at the same time.

I've edited the guide to try to clear things up a bit. Basically:

1. Orignal clips seem to be blue or green.
2. A new regulator I bought had orange clips
3. The modified, better clips are pink, with a metal insert.
4. You don't need to buy the bit that wraps around the window, just the clip, part number in the guide.
5. Buy 4. My passenger window failed 2 weeks after the drivers.
6. If your A3/S3 windows haven't broken yet, they soon will.

This seems to be happening to everyone right now - my drivers window failed yesterday - in the South of France! Fortunately we managed to push it closed as I didn't fancy a 700 mile drive with it fully open. Going to order the bits tomorrow.

It really does seem to be happening a lot. Like you say, you can coax the window shut by clicking the up switch a lot and guiding the window up by hand. It's easiest with an assistant.

jonS3 said:
my drivers window was down and I pressed the switch to make it go up, and about half way up I heard a quite loud plastic crack, thought someone had thrown something at the window. the window then struggled to go up like there was a lot of resistance on it.

it goes down fine but goes up really slowly (due to resistance) and I can occasionally here a plastic noise from inside. anyone got any ideas?

also, how does the door casing come off? thanks?

I had exactly the same. Same design fault as with a Golf. If you ask an Audi dealer they'll go "Oh, yeah... know about that". Two little plastic clips at the bottom of the window. One breaks off. Very common design flaw. If you feel confident to do this fix yourself, DO IT! It cost me a billion dollers in labour (not from Audi) cos the door panels are a pig to open!

chrisb said:
Trust me, on an A3 at least, the door panels are really easy. Golf looks hard though.

Yeah? Well, I couldn't open it!! But then, I ain't a mechanic! :)

S3 YEA said:
Yeah? Well, I couldn't open it!! But then, I ain't a mechanic! :)

Try a Scirocco some time :-(

I'll admit my passenger one took a few mnutes to line up, but as door panels go, they're OK. S3 ones might be harder- anyone else know?