What Brake Pads?

rraghvani

Whoever does not try, does not learn.
Reaction score
Website
audi-sport.net
Can anyone recommend some decent aftermarket brake pads? I've got a standard setup on my S3, and due to heavy braking one day, I've ended up wearing them out. Applying the brakes now, it doesn't seem to stop the car quick enough as it use to, plus my brake pedal it quite low now. Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Ferodo DS2500 are good.

You say that one days heavy braking has worn out your pads? I take it you actually popped one of the wheels off and the pads are actually worn very low then?

Just it sounds more like you've boiled your brake fluid...

Well the pads look kind of like low, and I did smell like something was burning but don't know whether it was the brake fluid - would it be possible that I’m low on brake fluid and it needs topping up?

rraghvani said:
Well the pads look kind of like low, and I did smell like something was burning but don't know whether it was the brake fluid - would it be possible that I’m low on brake fluid and it needs topping up?

lol

err, if your pads are low then replace them, if they aren't past the wear indicators then they should be fine. Mind you getting them too hot may have glazed the surface but the glaze should wear off with normal use.

If you boiled your fluid (which it sounds like you did), and your pedal has lost feel then i'd suggest the fluid is ******. You'll need to have the system bled and re-filled.

If your not mechanically minded then take it to a friendly garage. Although if you're gonna go treating your brakes like this regularly i'd get something like Motul DOT4 Racing Fluid, this will far exceed the temp range of most off the shelf DOT5.1's but still do a job for you with everyday driving.

My brake pads are proper shagged, down to metal and knackering the discs. The garage I take my car to said that they were unsure but it could be possible for the calliper piston to be pushed completely out of the calliper if the pads are that low, I don’t think this is what you have done as the car would be un-drivable due to friction on disc.

After reading loads of posts on brake discs and pads I have decided to go for Tarox G88 discs and Tarox Strada Pads. I'd always look at top spec pads from the disc manufacture first, and pads from a different manufacture last.

If I was going to run standar discs I’d go for EBC Greenstuff, nobody says there the best pads ever, but nobody slates them either.

I don’t think that pads will need replacing as no indicator came on, so it could be the brake fluid then? Considering the car is due for a service soon, I’ll let the mechanics bleed and replace the brake fluid.

I wasn’t planning on driving like that! I was only doing it the once because I was just showing the performance of my car to my friends – I had four people in the car and was braking very hard as the car felt heavy.

Thanks for you help guys.

I have had good experience with ferodo ds2500's,i have them in the brembos atm and no fade at all .My rear caliper seized this week and pads are down to the metal on that side,so i have just bought some s3 vented brakes to fit instead just the calipers, carriers s/hand with new discs and pads.Just been in the garage cleaning up the calipers and painting them to match my brembos,soo vain you see,lol.Cheers Andy

ANDYTQ said:
I have had good experience with ferodo ds2500's,i have them in the brembos atm and no fade at all .My rear caliper seized this week and pads are down to the metal on that side,so i have just bought some s3 vented brakes to fit instead just the calipers, carriers s/hand with new discs and pads.Just been in the garage cleaning up the calipers and painting them to match my brembos,soo vain you see,lol.Cheers Andy

Does the S3 have vented rears? thought they'd just be solids...

I've now got a spare set of 288mm vented discs, pads, calipers and carriers - do you reckon these could be fitted to the rear of my A3 1.8T?

Tallpaul said:
Does the S3 have vented rears? thought they'd just be solids...

I've now got a spare set of 288mm vented discs, pads, calipers and carriers - do you reckon these could be fitted to the rear of my A3 1.8T?

S3 has vented rear discs.

Why would you want to fit the 288s to the rear?
The rears do so little work anyway, it'll just add weight and not improve the braking...
Look at the size of the piston compared to standard...it'd throw the brake balance way out and probably lengthen braking distances.

Plus, you'd have to keep the standard rear callipers anyway to retain the handbrake.

I can't see any reasons to fit 288 fronts on the rear, even if it could be dome easily.

clcollins said:
After reading loads of posts on brake discs and pads I have decided to go for Tarox G88 discs and Tarox Strada Pads. I'd always look at top spec pads from the disc manufacture first, and pads from a different manufacture last.

Not always the best course of action though...
Companies that make the best brake discs and callipers often don't make pads...they re-badge of have other pad companies make them.

Companies that make good pads, often don't make good discs.

I'd opt for a proven disc from a quality maker and a proven pad, not always from the same maker.

For discs, I've tried and liked Bremsport, Balck Diamond and EBC Grooved (not sure if they still offer grooved only)
For pads i've liked Mintex and Ferodo.

The Black Diamond Predator pads are awful...
EBC Redstuff work...but have no feel to them...you need a damn good shove to get any bite.

If I was going to run standar discs I’d go for EBC Greenstuff, nobody says there the best pads ever, but nobody slates them either.

I wouldn't...
Mine de-laminated.

EBS don't suggest Greenstuff for 200BHP and over, otr heavy cars...which is A3s and S3s.
They worked well...but all the pad material came off the backing plates. not exactly safe, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Ess_Three said:
S3 has vented rear discs.

Why would you want to fit the 288s to the rear?
The rears do so little work anyway, it'll just add weight and not improve the braking...
Look at the size of the piston compared to standard...it'd throw the brake balance way out and probably lengthen braking distances.

Plus, you'd have to keep the standard rear callipers anyway to retain the handbrake.

I can't see any reasons to fit 288 fronts on the rear, even if it could be dome easily.

lol, was just a question. Thankyou for a full and frank answer.

DS2500s are a track based pad...and probably quite aggressive...they'll also more than likely squeal...so I'll bet thet's why Ferodo don't recommend them.

I wouldn't pay too much attention...

I run 'track' pads all the time...although I do have a set of very trick Mintex tarmac rally pads for my GTI and they are hellish noisy...so much so that I don't run them every day...they are too noisy!
The DS2500s should be fine though.

I'll invest in Ferodo DS2500 then. How easy would it be to do brake bleeding? Will I have to consider stuff like power steering, abs and engine on/off?

rraghvani said:
I'll invest in Ferodo DS2500 then. How easy would it be to do brake bleeding? Will I have to consider stuff like power steering, abs and engine on/off?

As long as you've not had the callipers off the car, or changed the hoses, you'll not need to consider the ABS unit as it's unlikely you have air in there...so the engine on/off doesn't matter.

You don't need to consider ARBs or PS anyway when bleeding brakes...

As for the actual bleeding...if you aren't fully up to speed, please consider having someone who is, do it for you.
Brakes are the last thing between you and something big and solid...and you really don't want to take chances with them.
A garage won't charge you much to flush the system through and bleed them...

I've been bleeding brakes for nearly 20 years...and still hate it...takes me a few attempt to get it right still.
My mechanic mate can do the full job, first time, in about 20 mins.

It's not worth my time and effort now...it's cheaper to buy him a few pints and get it right first time, every time.

It's just a thought...but a local garage won't charge you much to do it.

I hope you mean buy him a few pints after he's done the job and not before!! Well, if it's going to be a hassle, then I think I might as well leave it to the experts to do.

Thanks.

Its good to hear people recomending the DS2500's as I have my S3 booked in at APS the week after next to get these fitted, unfortunatly finaces wont streach to a Brembo conversion this time

I've got DS2500 on my Ibiza track day car and really rate them. Will be putting a set on the S3 when the current pads wear down.