help: what oil do i use?

i also had this problem today i got the service light and oil came up where the mileage usually is so i just rushed to shop and bought some semi 10/40 now im reading about all these certain oils and stuff :S

i also have a 1.8T (98)

you need fully synthetic. after an extended period of using semi our fine turbo lines get clogged

some fully synth 0/40 would be good, i think 10/40 is a little too thick on cold start, halfords do a reasonable one iirc. i'm on mobile1

mobile 1 fully synthetic 0/40. bit pricey for regular changes i'm looking at alternatives for my next change

oh forgot try asking opieoils , google them, you get a discount for being a member from this forum and good advice on oil for your application

cheers, have requested a password to get into the members section on opieoils..

i went to castrol's website and it gave me this info:
Castrol's best oil for your vehicle EDGE 5W-30 3.5
Alternative recommendation GTX MAGNATEC 10W-40
so i would assume this one from opieoils is the same:
GTX 10w-40
1 x 1 litre 1 £2.49 Buy Now!
..as it seems i can get 5 litres of gtx for a little more than 1 litre of mobil1.. good/bad choice?

go for it, use whatever is cheaper

btw 5/30 is too thin for prolonged use same as they use in long life service, increased cam wear. optimum is 0 cold 40 warm

whats the main difference (advantage?) of using 0w-40 (mobil1) instead of 10w-40 (castrol gtx)?

as far as i understand there are the usually slight differences between manufacturers product but not that great so any of the popular brands will be fine

0/40 is thinner (0) on cold start up than 10/40 (10) so more chance for it to circulate through the turbo's on cold which is good, 40 it becomes that thick when warm which is a good thickness for wear rates. contact opieoils for more info they're very helpful.

did the "recommend me an oil" on opieoil's website so will wait to see what they recommend, but the motul oil, is this the correct one thats mentioned above:
8100 E-Tech 0w-40
1 x 5 litre 5 £38.99 Buy Now!