double din/satnav dash pics required

Wicked666

Reaction score
Website
www.talkaudio.co.uk
considering changing mine but was wondering if anyone has any pics of there dash? Did the 8L models ever have this as an option?

CHeers

Just done the single to double din just need to do some shaving of the navi and climate.

Rick

What's the metal strip originally intended for as I need to get some for mine and I'm going to B&Q tonight.

impressive guys! I've got a prefacelift dash at moment...i'm not too bad at wiring things up. Reckon it's worth me giving it a go?

Going to be using a double din HU as got a tomtom for satnav so that should make it a little easier :)

Where did you guys buy the console from? rough prices?

If you have Tomtom why fit a double DIN? Not worth the hassle IMHO for a Symphony. I've had A Tomtom before with the wired into the stereo using the permanent docking kit and the sound was awful.

If you were going to fit a RNS in there it's worth doing the wiring and facia modifications.

Vagparts sell the cages in the Sat Nav section for about £70.

steve1975l said:
Rick

What's the metal strip originally intended for as I need to get some for mine and I'm going to B&Q tonight.

Steve

I think that most people when they put the RNS-E into this model car, have a small gap above the navi unit. Some folk leave it as is, I wanted to fill it in to complete the job.

B&Q have aluminium strip in the same part of the store as nuts and bolts.. Either bright or a sort of matt colour. Word of warning, its a very soft material and will mark easily as you cut it.

Oh, did the link and pictures work ok?

Thanks Steve, I am very pleased with it, its a real bonus in europe too.

In answer to a previous question, the 8L were fitted with sat-nav as an option, using CD maps for each country. They also had, I think a cd changer for tunes.

The RNS-E uses a Europe wide coverage DVD and SD cards for tunes. The dvd type was not an option in the 8L chassis, but along with others I have had it fitted into my car. And its ace. Works with DIS too.

i want to do this but my air con is in the middle how can i move it down,and can u get it to work as a dvd or tv

steve1975l said:
If you have Tomtom why fit a double DIN? Not worth the hassle IMHO for a Symphony. I've had A Tomtom before with the wired into the stereo using the permanent docking kit and the sound was awful.

If you were going to fit a RNS in there it's worth doing the wiring and facia modifications.

Vagparts sell the cages in the Sat Nav section for about £70.

for this badboy
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4833

£70 isn't bad. don't suppose anyone knows if existing connectors will fit?

S3 03 said:
i want to do this but my air con is in the middle how can i move it down,and can u get it to work as a dvd or tv

You need to cut the climate with a dremel or something similiar so it will fit. The sides and bottom need to be trimmed quite a bit to fit. It me about an hour at work to do.

do u need to cut the navi too,and does it need any more wiring or is it plug and play, looks hard to get a nice finsh.
cheers

You need to cut the sides and the bottom, mine was an A6 unit. It takes a morning to do both climate and navi. I used a dremel cut tool to remove the excess and then the sanding tool to get close. I then used a long file to get a flat edge or nice shape. Measure twice cut once.

I bought a CAN bus simulator with harness and the navi I bought came with a harness. I checked the CAN bus one and it had a mistake on the line out to the bose. Lucky I had 2 as I could use the pins out of the spare as I needed to try a few things. I have pin removal tools at work so it was easy for me. You may get lucky and get the right adaptor all wired correctly.

Worth it IMHO as I hate the Tomtom style ring marks on your front screen which say to thieves come look in my glovebox.

If you have the tools it's easy, just time consuming.

so is prefacelift to post facelift double din possible. WOrried more about the climate control connections. I imagine it'd be the same plugs in all honesty

Looks good!

Jealous for sure..

Bet your super happy with it.:yes:

Jampublic said:
Looks good!

Jealous for sure..

Bet your super happy with it.:yes:

I'd be lost without it...sorry could resist that one.

Wicked666 said:
so is prefacelift to post facelift double din possible. WOrried more about the climate control connections. I imagine it'd be the same plugs in all honesty

I doubt it. I would go for a single in dash flip out monitor if I were you...less hassle.

hi guys ive got a double din symphony 11 only problem is i havent got bose and to be honest the sound is s**t , i want to change to either a flip out monitor or the rnse as im told it will fit straight in. has anyone noticed a change when they have retro fitted an rns-e in sound?

ive also been looking for facias for a symphony 11 but no one seems to make em so is my only option an rns-e?

does anyone know if a double din screen will fit in ? or will this also leve gaps??

thanks