Front indicator removal....?

Peloton

Reaction score
I was going to fit another silicone hose (turbo to intercooler) today but had a bit of a problem. To get to the intercooler side of the hose to undo/tighten the clip, I need to remove the headlight. To do this I need to remove the front indicator which is where I found the problem! In the Haynes 'bible' it says:
Haynes said:
insert a long crosshead screwdriver through the hole in the engine compartment crossmember, and turn the front direction indicator retaining screw a quarter turn anti-clockwise & Viola! The indicator should just come right out!
I tried this and it doesn't! It's still pretty solid in there! Anyone got any idea's what's still holding it in? Before I break something.
Cheers in advance.

Not sure about the pre facelift, but to remove the headlight on the post facelift you need to remove the bumper. If thats the case it may be easier to just remove the bumper and do the hose that way.

Jon

Yes you have to remove the indicator and headlight to fit this hose.

Where you turned the screw, you need to press this bit down and your pressing it down and toward the front end, it should slide out. It's quite hard, so it shouldn't break.

Give it a go, If you do break it, I'm sure I have an offside indicator you could relieve me of for a very small fee!

What other mods have you got going on except for the hoses? Hope this helps.

Andy

Aaaah I see! I'll give it another try tomorrow night then. :o.k:

I've only got the mods as per sig at the moment. The chrome goodies are fuel, oil & filler caps. I've got a Forge Eliminator DV on order from Forge as they were out of the diaphrams. With that order I'll be getting a silicone T.I.P. & chrome strut top covers. Most of it's cosmetic as you can see but I'm building up to getting it remapped with the DV & T.I.P.
I'm also thinking about upgrading the manifold to the A.T.P. jobbie while I'm up there (Star Performance) but that will depend on the cashflow situation.

Ok I got the indicator out! Cheers Andy!:beerchug:
I was sooo close. I got the headlight half out & some metal thing attached to the bottom of the unit kept catching.
DSC00034.jpg

Any help on how to get this thing off the headlight unit? I had it at all angles but still no joy! I'm assuming it has something to do with the Xenons as it's not mentioned in the ol' Haynes. :readit:
I could get to the screw head on the clip but it was at such an angle the driver seemed to be chewing it up.
Sorry guys but this is rippin my tights I can tell ya! :keule:

you wont.

its the xenon ballast and is not removable.

Oh crap! So what do I do to remove this damn light??

Well seeing I'm no mechanic eh! Give me a PC & I'll overclock the crap out it but when it comes to motors, I try, but rarely succeed! :sadlike: lol

Your S3 is pre facelift isn't it? Where the indicator and headlight are seperate? I thought it may have been somthing to do with the head light washer system, as it looks related to what is connected to the lamp. I can't see why the headlight won't come out without the bumper coming off. Mind you, mine's an A3, so maybe it's my bad for misinforming you :whistle2:

Sorry if that's how it is dude! At least I didn't tell you the bumper had to come off if it didn't! Lol

Yep it's a pre-facelift. It's not actually catching on the bumber. It's on the metal bit that's behind the bumper. Crossmember maybe? :think: So I've come to the conclusion that the DREMEL is being taken to it! :sign_omg: I was going to try & save both the hose & clips just (in case) but sod it! Good ole power tools come to the rescue! I'll be able to put another clip back on a different way so I can get to it a lot easier.:thumbsup:

Oh yeah, I've got to use a Haynes manual for the A3 as one doesn't exist for the S3. So anything S3 specific and I'm goosed, otherwise I get instructions (more destructions in my case) from there.

Success!! :yahoo:

I tried again at this today & it turned out all that was needed was a bit of brute force!! I'm definetly too used to working with PC's where things will just crumble if you yank things with all your weight. None the less, here's a pic of both the hoses fitted :
EngineBay.jpg

Just the T.I.P. & D.V. & then off to Star Performance for a tasty remap!

Excellent, you off for the remap soon then, or do you have many more mods planned???

Well, wallet permitting, as per post No.4 I was considering getting the ATP manifold while I was up at Star Performance, but it turns out they don't have them to fit. :( So I'm now thinking of getting spacers before I go but still unsure as to how the wallet will weather with both spacers & the remap. Once I've got it remapped then I'll turn to brakes and fitting a new set of sussies me thinks! :hubbahubba: