Taking off..

s3shabs

Reaction score
Hi guys. Have a quick question, im sure its got a simple answer.
How can I take off from standstill withought damaging the clutch.
I tried with the esp off and can still feel the power cut.
Any suggestions from anyone on how to master it for the quickest launch?
Iv always been a high powered jap man, and still am, and am pretty use to the driving style of japanese high performance cars, i.e dipping the clutch etc.. So any advice would help with regards to my s3.
kind regards

people have different opinions on this. Personally I like to dial in about 4k revs, lift off about half of the clutch to get a good start and then soon after im moving forward i let the clutch all the way out. ESP off of course :)

For the S3, you really need 4.5-5k revs to prevent bogdown, not nice to the clutch, but it works hey... hmmm... my car smells fast. :racer:

cheers,Iv found that to be the best way aswell. As soon as the clutch is fully released, you just get this surge of power burst through..But Im a little reluctunt as I feel Im putting load on the clutch by "riding" it with revs and half clutch. How is the standard clutch in terms of coping?

jojo said:
For the S3, you really need 4.5-5k revs to prevent bogdown, not nice to the clutch, but it works hey... hmmm... my car smells fast. :racer:

lol, yeh the "smell" of victory.
I feel im ruining my clutch!

The standard clutch won't take this type of abuse much tbh, my car is showing 52k on the original clutch with 20k of it being remapped, and I launch it every now and then, starting to slip methinks. I rarely launch the car anyways, tend to drive it fast when in motion...

okey doke, cheers for the reply guys..:salute:

jojo said:
The standard clutch won't take this type of abuse much tbh, my car is showing 52k on the original clutch with 20k of it being remapped, and I launch it every now and then, starting to slip methinks. I rarely launch the car anyways, tend to drive it fast when in motion...

And me... i can feel it slipping every now n then when launching, aint a cheap fix either!!

s3shabs said:
...Iv always been a high powered jap man,...

gohan.gif

The standard clutch in the S3 is capeable of upto 300hp without trouble. However this is for everyday driving, cause keep in mind the setup with the clutch with regards to the Haldex "quattro" system.

I launch on average once a day... and doesnt seem to hurt the car much... as well as that i race my s3 around various racetracks at monthly track days... and still on stardard clutch.. and ive done 81000kms.

What im trying to say is, they are strong and capeable, but at the same time dont over-do it - just make sure after you have had a bit of fun launching, give the clutch some time to cool down.

4.5k-5k revs at pull off shud get u goin or roll of and dip the clutch just before ur turbo kicks in, cluth will stink but u'll get get away from a scooby at the lights!