GTRS Eliminator Finally Fitted

ChriS3

hud at ye bam
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Picked up the S3 from Star Performance last Friday complete with a brand new GT28RS turbo and 333bhp/306lbsft at 1.45bar. What a difference, the car finally goes properly!!!

Milltek have been taking ages to make the cats for it, so long infact that I couldn't be ***** waiting anymore and went and picked it up without. Just my luck, they turned up about 20mins after I set off for E38. Dropping the car off again tomorrow to get them fitted and one more remap.

The Eliminators are a total b!tch to fit. They don't go in well with the quattro transmission and six speed box. There's a bit of modifying of the gear linkage to be done, and it needed a custom TIP and airfilter. The standard injectors couldn't handle the power, so I've put in 550cc ATP items with the correct spray pattern, and the N75 was hopeless at delivering the boost so I've gone for an Apexi AVC-R controller. One thing that had been putting me off for ages was the lack of decent manifold. Not a problem really, it gets the power on the standard mani no problem. Infact Jim has had to limit the power just to keep the internals safe.

Cost wise, it came in at well under £4k. and the insurance has gone up to £700 a year. Not bad at all....

I'll get some pics up soon :blackrs4:

I was about £3.8k including labour and VAT. Cost was as follows:

GTRS Turbo kit - 1499
Eliminator Harware kit - 499
Apexi boost controller - 285
550cc injectors - 360
RS4 MAF - 99
Labour - 556.45
Mapping - 499 (about 40 maps and counting)

All prices were plus VAT, and there was no charge for the rolling road sessions.

The cost will vary depending on what state of tune the car is already in. I already had the exhaust, FMIC, DV, etc so it kept the price down a little.

Ess_Three said:
Sweet!
Hopefully catch up with you when you get it back again to have a proper look + spin?

Should be a nice map too...

Absolutely, your comments/advice/critism/etc will be welcome as ever. Only problem is it might have to wait till the thing is out of the bodyshop - some old codger had the bright idea of pulling into my lane on the dualler at lunchtime today. His 35mph met with my 70mph rather rapidly. Thank god for big brakes and quick reactions, only minor damage.

Defratos said:
Nice one Chris, :anbet: :respekt: :thumbsup:, What FMIC u running? Can't wait to see pics, you gotta have pics :sign_pics:

The FMIC is a Forge item. I liked the idea of the core size being big enough to do away with the side mount.

ChriS3 said:
Absolutely, your comments/advice/critism/etc will be welcome as ever.

My pleasure...
You can rely on me for honest opinions...like them or not. There'll be no ego-massaging or ***-kissing here!

Only problem is it might have to wait till the thing is out of the bodyshop - some old codger had the bright idea of pulling into my lane on the dualler at lunchtime today. His 35mph met with my 70mph rather rapidly. Thank god for big brakes and quick reactions, only minor damage.

Nightmare!
Such bad driving should carry the death penalty. :sob:

What is the sum total of the damage?

Ess_Three said:
Nightmare!
Such bad driving should carry the death penalty. :sob:

What is the sum total of the damage?

I came very close to battering a pensioner today. He thought he was still in the 40mph zone. No idea where he was or what happened.

Looks like a bumper, bonnet and n/s wing. All nicely creased. I'd reckon maybe £1500 and the loss of the original paintwork. Just what you want after having the car off the road for six weeks :keule:

noooo

i cant belive someone hit your s3, that hurts man, hope you get it sorted soon chris

Have you had a new FMIC from forge? Or the same one that you had at inters? Interesting that you had a problem with the n75. Which rs did you use the .64 or .86? Interesting results aswell.

Ryanc said:
Have you had a new FMIC from forge? Or the same one that you had at inters? Interesting that you had a problem with the n75. Which rs did you use the .64 or .86? Interesting results aswell.

F*ck, just deleted the reply by mistake.

It's the same Forge FMIC as I had at inters - the custom S3 one with the modded crash bar.

Jim at Star has been having issues with N75s on the Seat's with Eliminators. I'm holding 1.45 bar from 3200-6800rpm. The Apexi does it no problem, but the N75 couldn't keep it up at the top end. Besides, the Apexi is a much better option, gives you the option to spike the boost when needed (1/4 mile etc), you can set the boost level for each gear (lower boost for first and second), and you get the digital box/guages in the car.

To be honest, not sure which rs it is. Just what came with the kit...

Interesting as you rarely see VAG owners with boost controllers yet every jap car has one.

WOW - Surely the car is now complete? well when its repaired. Must be the nicest S3 around!!! How long before your bored and sell it?

Did the old colostomy bag admit fault???
Had a similar thing with a mini bus. The only reason i did'nt stove his napper in was he was so nice and apologetic. Then when the claim went in he changed his story, but I knew where he lived :nunu:

pablo said:
Interesting as you rarely see VAG owners with boost controllers yet every jap car has one.

To be honest, they're almost pointless with the K04 and the N75. It's only when you have a bigger turbo that it becomes a worthwhile investment. Now they're making the Apexi in black, I think they'll become more common.

nervus said:
WOW - Surely the car is now complete? well when its repaired. Must be the nicest S3 around!!! How long before your bored and sell it?

Complete? Is that ever possible? Lol, don't think I'll be in any rush to part with it, there's the internals to do yet, then the boost increase, then....

nervus said:
Did the old colostomy bag admit fault???
Had a similar thing with a mini bus. The only reason i did'nt stove his napper in was he was so nice and apologetic. Then when the claim went in he changed his story, but I knew where he lived :nunu:

Did he hell, he didn't even know he was on the motorway (he was doing about 35mph) and accused me of doing 70 in a 40mph zone. Then he said he wasn't in my lane, then he said he indicated to move into my lane, etc. He had no idea what happened and wouldn't admit liabilty - luckilly the police took a different view.

Why is it that every professional qualification I have needs to be resit on a regular basis, and yet someone can sit a driving test 60 years ago and still be deemed competent?

333bhp on the stock mani eh? That's what i like to hear ;)

What sort of rpm have you opened up?

Any chance of posting the dyno plot? Be interesting to see where it's making it's power and how long it holds on to it for...

Tallpaul said:
333bhp on the stock mani eh? That's what i like to hear ;)

What sort of rpm have you opened up?

Any chance of posting the dyno plot? Be interesting to see where it's making it's power and how long it holds on to it for...

I'm getting 333bhp at 6400rpm, so no real need to take it any higher. The power graph looks really good, and getting 333bhp on Jim's rollers is something special. I'll try and get it scanned and post it up this afternoon.

Sounds great Chris! Will be good to see how the manifold stands up to the abuse... I guess the turbo is less stressed though so theoritically should run cooler. Shame about the old fart spoiling your fun!

Would be good to see the plots just to see the shape of them!

Makes a massive difference doesnt it!?

Rich

Mine makes 1.5bar by 3600rpm-6700rpm on the road so it's certainly spooling well.Shame you guys are in Scotland so i could have a go on stars rollers.Did the downpipe come with the kit?

ChriS3 said:
F*ck, just deleted the reply by mistake.

It's the same Forge FMIC as I had at inters - the custom S3 one with the modded crash bar.

Jim at Star has been having issues with N75s on the Seat's with Eliminators. I'm holding 1.45 bar from 3200-6800rpm. The Apexi does it no problem, but the N75 couldn't keep it up at the top end. Besides, the Apexi is a much better option, gives you the option to spike the boost when needed (1/4 mile etc), you can set the boost level for each gear (lower boost for first and second), and you get the digital box/guages in the car.

To be honest, not sure which rs it is. Just what came with the kit...

Talked to mike a while back about eliminators and they tested ihi's on them in the early days he said they would spool fairly fast because of the small runners but they do have a nasty tendacy to crack etc and there is a limit to there overall flow but as chris has proved it's over 330bhp.

RichA3Turbo said:
Sounds great Chris! Will be good to see how the manifold stands up to the abuse... I guess the turbo is less stressed though so theoritically should run cooler. Shame about the old fart spoiling your fun!

Would be good to see the plots just to see the shape of them!

Makes a massive difference doesnt it!?

Rich

Sounds sweet Chris, infortunate about your little bump, hope you get it sorted soon, you must be missing the power already! :racer:

would be interesting to hear Glens view of an S3 with more power and similar suspension setup to his old car.

jojo said:
would be interesting to hear Glens view of an S3 with more power and similar suspension setup to his old car.

We shall sort out the finer points of the evaluation over a curry and a few to many beers on Sat night, eh Chris?
Assuming you get to and from NC in good time.

Looks like there's fog in Scatsta, so well have to see how the weekend goes. Just gave the car back to Jim so he can get the cats fitted and do the final remap. Just had a wee drag with some boy in a Integra Type R, I couldn't catch him nor pull away from him - I need more power!!!!

The dyno plot looks a little like so...
dyno.gif

Come now...post the whole sheet!!
We need to see the corrections and ambient temperature etc..

What's the power at the wheels?

What style ITR?
DC5?
Colour?

Not that turbo'd one is it?

Surely not a DC2...or your car is broken.

Looking good for Sat night then?
Should have a good crowd....a sort of GTI Int'l re-invented, type night out..

ChriS3 said:
I need more power!!!!

No Chris...you just need to stop flogging a dead horse and change the vehicle to something more rewarding to drive...then it doesn't matter if something is faster, as they'll not be having as much fun as you!

I had a 30+ mile blast with a Yamaha R1 on Sunday...now THAT was fun...

You should able to give most things a pretty good pasting! As Glen says, the whole sheet! :) The graph looks really nice! all you need now are some stronger internals and a big port head! :D

Rich

Chris, also, how is the AVC-R wired in, and does it chuck any fault codes??

Rich

Ess_Three said:
Come now...post the whole sheet!!
We need to see the corrections and ambient temperature etc..

What's the power at the wheels?

The whole sheet was rather big, I was trying to be clever and just post the graph.

dyno2.gif

Ess_Three said:
What style ITR?
DC5?
Colour?

Not that turbo'd one is it?

Surely not a DC2...or your car is broken.

It was one of the latest ones. He didn't catch me sleeping or off boost, Jim reckons he's a local guy with a supercharger fitted. ****** fast anyway.

Ess_Three said:
Looking good for Sat night then?
Should have a good crowd....a sort of GTI Int'l re-invented, type night out..

If the fog keeps up then I'll cancel the trip till next week. Wouldn't want to miss the 'reunion', lol

wheel ouptut 223 !! Do we really lose 100bhp thru the quattro?

Ess_Three said:
No Chris...you just need to stop flogging a dead horse and change the vehicle to something more rewarding to drive...then it doesn't matter if something is faster, as they'll not be having as much fun as you!

I had a 30+ mile blast with a Yamaha R1 on Sunday...now THAT was fun...

Thanks to you I am now broke. Currently negotiating with my old man about going halfs on a 997 C4S next year. Either that or membership to P1 North.

RichA3Turbo said:
Chris, also, how is the AVC-R wired in, and does it chuck any fault codes??

Rich

There is a fault code at the moment due to the car not getting the requested boost from the N75. Jim is going to program it out. As for how it's wired in, no idea. That's why I let the professionals do these things for me :shrug:

ChriS3 said:
The whole sheet was rather big, I was trying to be clever and just post the graph.

Don't try to be clever Chris...it doesn't suit you! :p

Looks like you are 9 BHP at the wheels up on mine...

fun.jpg

Why are your losses so high?
Christ!...that's Subaru or Torsen type losses...

It was one of the latest ones. He didn't catch me sleeping or off boost, Jim reckons he's a local guy with a supercharger fitted. ****** fast anyway.

Ok...there is a Turbocharged DC5 around this area...V quick apparently.

If the fog keeps up then I'll cancel the trip till next week. Wouldn't want to miss the 'reunion', lol

That's the spirit!!
Can you cancel my check-in for Wed as well?

ChriS3 said:
Thanks to you I am now broke. Currently negotiating with my old man about going halfs on a 997 C4S next year. Either that or membership to P1 North.

Thanks to me?
How's that work then?

Going halfs?
Come on...get it bought on your own!

Although P1 is an interesting thought...lots of advantages and none of the hassle. I've looked closely myself.

pablo said:
wheel ouptut 223 !! Do we really lose 100bhp thru the quattro?

Not normally...not in my experience anyway...nearer 60BHP is normal.

I can only guess Chris's Haldex controller is adding to the losses by forcing the car into permenant 4wd where it wouldn't normally be?

Ess_Three said:
Looks like you are 9 BHP at the wheels up on mine...

And I'm 26lbs-ft down on yours :wtf:

Ess_Three said:
Why are your losses so high?
Christ!...that's Subaru or Torsen type losses...

I questioned the losses down there. Jim thinks it might be to do the the uprated Haldex. I'll see if it's any different on the next run.

Ess_Three said:
Ok...there is a Turbocharged DC5 around this area...V quick apparently.

It was coming off the Glenrothes roundabout, heading for Dysart. He was in front upto about 120 (km/h of course) and he wasn't pulling away, but I wasn't catching him. Jim's taking the car to Knockhill tomorrow night for a track session. Should be interesting to see what the real life performance is like.

Ess_Three said:
That's the spirit!!
Can you cancel my check-in for Wed as well?

Actually, I can.....

Ess_Three said:
Thanks to me?
How's that work then?

I never really liked Porsches untill inters. Funny that.

Ess_Three said:
Going halfs?
Come on...get it bought on your own!

If Shell pay me off, then it's a done deal. Till then 'fractional ownership' is an easier way of doing it. Neither of us drive everyday so it should work out.

Ess_Three said:
Although P1 is an interesting thought...lots of advantages and none of the hassle. I've looked closely myself.

It's expensive, but comparable to the amount you lose when you drive the Porsche/Ferrari/Lambo out of the showroom. It's a very tempting idea.

I have atw figures of 280bhp with a 75bhp loss. I would have thought not using the standard n75 would cause a whole host of problems ,that closed loop me7.5 is very sensitive after all it's a load based boost control sytem.
Have you ever tried dastek in fife?Your peak boost/torque also seems to be 4100rpm?

Glen didn't you use dyno yours in 2wd?