GTRS Eliminator Finally Fitted

Ryanc said:
I have atw figures of 280bhp with a 75bhp loss. I would have thought not using the standard n75 would cause a whole host of problems ,that closed loop me7.5 is very sensitive after all it's a load based boost control sytem.
Have you ever tried dastek in fife?Your peak boost/torque also seems to be 4100rpm?

I thought you were running 335bhp on your last posted dyno? Peak torque at 4100rpm, but it stays up above 275lbs-ft all the way to 6000rpm.

I'd be keen to try another rolling road to see how the fictional figures look. Lol, I'd love to see how high it goes on Jabba's rollers. Star's rollers are decent enough for me, there's no manual settings for pressure and tempreture so it's not so easy to trick it into reading higher.

335bhp at marlin 260atw,280atw at awesome and jabba.
Marlin was very low reading ,thats where i got more power than a ferrari 355 and noble m12 both of which should have 350bhp+
I've heard dastek are very accurate.Not knocking the figures chris but they differ from glens. Did you run in 4wd?I'm sure glen used to run in 2wd.

I'm running the uprated Haldex, so it can be put into 4WD on throttle position. Makes the dyno's alot easier, but you run with transmission losses front and rear.

Likewise, not knocking your figures, just thought you said recently you were running at 335bhp. Most people know Jabba's figures are way too high, they told a friend of mine his S3 (K04) engined Mk2 golf was running at 315bhp????????

Ryanc said:
Did you run in 4wd?I'm sure glen used to run in 2wd.

Nope...not 2wd for me.
It wouldn't...even with 3 of us sat on the front panel, it would smoke the tyres when it hits boost...

Mine did fight the dyno every time by virtue of the very quick transition from approx 50 lb-ft to 330+ lb-ft...so it was run with some plug or other out of the ABS unit? (I think)
It always turned all 4 wheels, but didn't swap torque front to rear..the losses were as per 4wd as all 4 wheels were at road speed, albeit there would be slight differences due to differing bearing heats etc by the rears not working as hard....but the drag is basically the same.

Ryanc said:
I've heard dastek are very accurate.Not knocking the figures chris but they differ from glens.

David R ran 'our' S3 on a Dastek dyno...
It made 280+ BHP (218 ATW I think) and 320+ lb-ft...

I was watching...it climbed out of the rollers...not nice!

Never heard Jabba claiming anything above 280bhp for a k04 equipped car,do you have a graph? I don't think Jabbas figures on the new rollers are miles out too be honest.
I think my car is running 340/350bhp ,it's a well known turbo for the scooby lot.

so you don't rate dastek?Gerry is very well thought of in the dyno stakes,they dyno'd a guys 700bhp mr2 so i didn't think yours would be a problem are you sure it wasn't the haldex?

Just checked multimap 333miles and 5 1/2 hours to star performance!

i'd love to visit star,maybe one day.

I always take Jabba figures with a pinch of salt. A "360+bhp" Cupra R that i was quicker than on a 1/4mile despite my hand slipping off the gearstick and missing 3rd gear! My 'measley' 320bhp, tends to be no slower than those with apparently significantly more power. I suspect that all will show similar figures on the same rollers, but really, who cares!! They are great fun and we enjoy them and thats really all that counts at the end of the day isnt it!!

Rich

I don't think there that overated to be honest, i managed 17bhp more than wilko at marlin(ihi golf) and the same as caney at awesome(ihi tt). Also i seem to remember beating you and having higher terminals at santa pod despite my extra weight.Perhaps the guy in the cupra r couldn't drive?
Anyway we are trying to compare ihi to chris's gt28rs not knocking jabbas figures.

RichA3Turbo said:
I always take Jabba figures with a pinch of salt. A "360+bhp" Cupra R that i was quicker than on a 1/4mile despite my hand slipping off the gearstick and missing 3rd gear! My 'measley' 320bhp, tends to be no slower than those with apparently significantly more power. I suspect that all will show similar figures on the same rollers, but really, who cares!! They are great fun and we enjoy them and thats really all that counts at the end of the day isnt it!!

Rich

So what's the crack here then?

No way you've got a genuine 100bhp+ transmission loss... Does that mean you're putting out closer to 285bhp at the fly?

Tallpaul said:
So what's the crack here then?

No way you've got a genuine 100bhp+ transmission loss... Does that mean you're putting out closer to 285bhp at the fly?

It means to me that it's only putting 9BHP more than mine was, down to the tarmac...
And less torque... :whistle2:

The test drive will be interesting...

Best you fling some more cash at it Chris...good effort. B-. Must try harder...:biggrin:

I suspect that your Haldex controller is causing the high losses, as I've never heard of a Haldex car loosing 110 BHP+ through the transmission before...
Accepted figures seem to be 25-40 for FWD and 40-60 for Haldex 4WD, from my experience.

RichA3Turbo said:
I always take Jabba figures with a pinch of salt.

Not as much so as Dubsport's figures though...

I have come accross a few 300+BHP K04 cars...that have only made 250-260 BHP on dyno days...with wide and varied excuses being used.

My/David R's old S3, along with all the well regarded cars on here, will make the numbers over and over, on any dyno in the UK...all day long.

So how come certain tuners cars can't?

Dubsport aren't alone...
I've heard / witnessed / been on the receiving end of inflated power claims from other UK tuners too...

Hence the 15+ dyno plots for my S3, 4+ for the C4S and 50+ for my GTI on many different dynos.

Did seem a little odd that it would be making more power than even ATP claimed it could on the stock mani.

So at the fly you reckon it's about 295?

Probably too early to really worry about how high up the wall you can p*ss anyway. As said, still needs the CAT's and a final map. The dyno plot is purely bragging rights, how it feels on the road is what counts :)

Shape of the plots look good and you've got a sound basis for spending even more cash!

Ryanc said:
I don't think there that overated to be honest, i managed 17bhp more than wilko at marlin(ihi golf) and the same as caney at awesome(ihi tt). Also i seem to remember beating you and having higher terminals at santa pod despite my extra weight.Perhaps the guy in the cupra r couldn't drive?
Anyway we are trying to compare ihi to chris's gt28rs not knocking jabbas figures.

4wd and 1mph difference ;)

I'm a bit of a dyno whore too glenn,but from my experience 2wd 40-50bhp loss, haldex 60-80bhp depending how it's run,fixed 4wd 75-90bhp. Best way is too drop the prop and use atw figures on a s3.
Too be honest a gt28rs and 1.45bar should be produce 320-330bhp depending on whether it's a .64/.86 a/r.The compressor/turbine wheel are very similar to vf34's.

But not when you consider i was running no traction control and 2wd its not...was wheelspinning through 2nd gear.

Anyway hows that vr6 turbo coming along ?There was a guy at santa pod this weekend that had one in a mk2 golf massive t3/4 500bhp,now that was wheelspinning.

Yep its getting there... Engine is fully built, just need to setup the timing and then its complete. Just need ££ now!

Ess_Three said:
It means to me that it's only putting 9BHP more than mine was, down to the tarmac...
And less torque... :whistle2:

The test drive will be interesting...

Best you fling some more cash at it Chris...good effort. B-. Must try harder...:biggrin:

I suspect that your Haldex controller is causing the high losses, as I've never heard of a Haldex car loosing 110 BHP+ through the transmission before...
Accepted figures seem to be 25-40 for FWD and 40-60 for Haldex 4WD, from my experience.

I'll let you know the lap times at Knockhill after tonight. See if it can beat DavidR's best time. Jim's taking it down to show off his work, or in his words "play with some Porsches". I think he got his *** kicked last time he took his Esh Shree down.

Once I get it back, I'll take a drive up to Ellon and see how it runs on the rollers up there. Just need to figure out what ABS thing to pull, if needed with my Haldex controller.

No more cash is going into that engine bay. Far too much already and I have a life outside of modding the S3. If anymore cash is getting flung at the car, it's for some Recaro Pole Positions and a stereo upgrade.

Chris i think you should detail your S3 spec in your signature.

Matt

ChriS3 said:
I'll let you know the lap times at Knockhill after tonight.

Heh-heh...

See if it can beat DavidR's best time.

I'll tell you now, he can't.
I bet I can't...and Jim was pastey faced in the passenger seat of 'our' old S3.

Jim's taking it down to show off his work, or in his words "play with some Porsches". I think he got his *** kicked last time he took his Esh Shree down.

Hahahahahahaha....
Wait for me to pick myself up...

If Jim gets within 10 seconds of Daves best time I'll eat my shorts. Not only that, but your shorts...and everybody else's shorts at the curry on Saturday.

Dave's best time was sub 61 seconds...in the damp.
The track is now approx 2 seconds quicker...

'Our' old S3 lapped Knockhill quicker than a 540BHP RS4 on £8k suspension and £4k brakes...on semi-slicks...

You still want to play this game?

Once I get it back, I'll take a drive up to Ellon and see how it runs on the rollers up there. Just need to figure out what ABS thing to pull, if needed with my Haldex controller.

I'll be there...

No more cash is going into that engine bay. Far too much already and I have a life outside of modding the S3. If anymore cash is getting flung at the car, it's for some Recaro Pole Positions and a stereo upgrade.

Why do you need seats with great lateral grip?
Your suspension doesn't provide the g-forces!!

Ooh...that was catty! Sorry.
No I'm not... :laugh:

I'm going to get some better seats purely for weight saving,pp's are a good option.

Ess_Three said:
The track is now approx 2 seconds quicker...

Making yuor excuses already???:laugh:

Ess_Three said:
Why do you need seats with great lateral grip?
Your suspension doesn't provide the g-forces!!

Ooh...that was catty! Sorry.
No I'm not...

Maybe your lower CG held you in the seats better. :p

Nah, comfort, weight, style, pose factor, etc, that's the reasons for getting them. Lateral support is just a bonus.

Pole Positions's are awesome but I think there just wrong in a 3-door as they dont rock forward and the rear seats are pretty stuid if you cant get to them. I wonder if the TT rear seat delete kit can be made to fit the S3??? There's an idea!

Or, how about getting some of those Recaro's from the new S3, ala B7 RS4. The allow rear access and are available through Recaro direct - sweet! Im a whore for seats and swapping the 4S for something with special seats finished in nomex fabric;)

I'm quite taken with the GT3 seats. They look good, hold well, and they're comfy. They'd be great in the 4S. For the S3 it's just a liitle more 'OEM' to have the seats from the TTQS.

ChriS3 said:
Making yuor excuses already???:laugh:

Not at all...it's giving your pilot a 2 second head start for free...

Maybe your lower CG held you in the seats better. :p

I'm sure it did...but the quick times were set by David R...hardly the most portly of gents.

I think the difference was that mine were Alcantara/Leather...you don't slide about on the Alcantara like you do on leather.

I must admit, I struggle to get on with the S3 Recaros in all leather...they are very slidy.

Nah, comfort, weight, style, pose factor, etc, that's the reasons for getting them.

No **** Sherlock..
I think we'd worked that out for ourselves!!

Just read this thread!

Good but banter and is nice to read about an Eliminator turbo being tuned up this way.

Is amazing that Glen's/David's S3 produced such good figures on the k04! I saw it once or twice on the rollers but did not appriciate how well it was tuned till now!

Oh and get the pole positions they look superb!

hi,
chris/ryanc - i'm really liking what you've done - i'm looking at 330bhp with the g28rs turbo i want to do similr but bristol to fife is a long way?? how about jabba/mrc to do similar 330-350bhp for 4k??

what do u reccommend?
thanks!!

I have the jabba ihi turbo kit which uses a custom cast manifold,3" downpipe etc.I would have thought it would cost you 5k fitted/mapped depending what exhaust/cat you have and whether you wish to uprate the intercoolers.

Looks great. That seems a hell of a good deal at £4k. I know that the guy who had mine done at QST paid over £7k for the engine mods.