car getting lowerered tomorrow anything else worth doing?

pablo

Reaction score
Getting new shocks/springs fitted tomorrow by my local garage and was wondering if there is anything else worth replacing while its being done. bushes droplinks anything like that. Car has 87k.

Cheers

topmounts, strut bearings, droplinks...

Probably worth having them inspect the other ARB bushes while they are under there too...

Problem is (and it's the same one i'm facing) most of the bushes 'could do' with changing, but parts and labour could easily add £300 - 400 to the bill :(

I will swap for polyflex at some point anyway so no biggie there. Think Ill just tell them to replace anything that looks dodgy. I trust them enough not to rip the pi55

That's fair enough. Basically what i'm doing although i've already bought the topmounts, bearings and droplinks.

I know something is a-miss at the nearside front because whenever i turn on to my drive i get a clonk noise from there, i've asked the mechanic to take a look and see if he can see anything obvious when he's replacing the shock.

Do any of you know if they sell poly bushes for the ARB droplinks? or even aftermarket ones? cause VF does them for non 4WD cars and was wondering if there's one for a 4WD.
droplink.jpg

Remember to get 4 Wheel aliignment carried out also.

koni - 20mm/15mm hoping to escape the need for adj arms.

If you are replacing standard shocks and springs for uprated/lowered version, I'd get adjustable tie bars (required) and ARBs done at the same time - it'll save you a fortune in labour rates in the future.

Depending how you drive and what you use your car for will determine how agressive you want you suspension/geometry settings. Negative camber of between 1 and 1.5 degrees all round is what to aim for. As for toe in/out it's all down to personal preference and how hard you drive the car.

If using the car everyday or you don't drive it hard, I'd go for a parrallel setting. If you use your car as a weekend toy and/or drive it hard, probably best to dial in some toe out.

to ask a stupid question...

what is the topmount ? where is it ??

what is the strut bearing ??

I know what the drop link - does the whole thing need replacing. I thought it was made of metal with rubber bushes at each end.?

N40-0456.png

is the topmount number 5??

and the strut bearing number 6??

If so, when you upgrade the shocks, do you still use original parts for these?

Many thanks,

I think im starting to get the hang of this.

all done :) Nothing else needed replacing but they did say they didnt fit the koni bumpstops as they didnt sit as well as the audi ones

well happy with the results :)

06-09-06_1536.jpg

pablo said:
all done :) Nothing else needed replacing but they did say they didnt fit the koni bumpstops as they didnt sit as well as the audi ones

well happy with the results :)

06-09-06_1536.jpg

which kit do you have?

koni adj shocks and koni springs.

Looks good, although is parking it on the kerb making it look lower than it is?

How many mm have you dropped?

How much labour did the fitting take?

20mm/15mm not actually measured it tho.

it sits at about that on level ground too :) Just perfect!

Cost me £100 for labour and a 4wa (to which they told me rear camber was off). Given the moderate drop on the rear Im just going to watch the tyre wear before shelling out £300 on adj arms.

pablo said:
20mm/15mm not actually measured it tho.

it sits at about that on level ground too :) Just perfect!

Cost me £100 for labour and a 4wa (to which they told me rear camber was off). Given the moderate drop on the rear Im just going to watch the tyre wear before shelling out £300 on adj arms.

My local guy want £194 for fitting and 4wa (inc VAT)...

Be good to see a pic of yours on level ground, that photo looks lower than 20/15 - especially at the back :)

Tallpaul said:
Be good to see a pic of yours on level ground, that photo looks lower than 20/15 - especially at the back :)

It certainly does look lower...

In saying that, H&R claimed a 20mm drop for the springs I had...which was actually 30-35mm as measured on the car.

I dont know where they get some of their specs from defo more than 15mm at the back.

love it tho :D