40K on the clock, new cluth ?

solihul

Reaction score
Hi, Had an oil leak from my gearbox which was covered by my warranty, took it into my dealer who stripped the gear box in order to try to fix the leak. When I had the car back the gearbox was stiff, really had to push the gearstick in order for it to go into the gear espacially second gear. Took it back today for them to have a look at the gearbox and they want £47.00 to adjust the gearbox. When I told them that it only started happening after they stripped it down they said that it was because the clutch was dragging and advised me to change the clutch quoting me £1650 for that. Should I be changing the clutch because it's dragging or are they having a laugh theres only 40K on the clock.

It's been in 5 times for the same leak so far and they still haven't sorted it, it's booked in for 3 days next week for them to have another look. :wtf:

I wonder if the oil has leaked into the clutch assembly? I'm not sure what "dragging" means - is it the same as slipping? If so, oil is one possible cause. You would expect the clutch to last more than 40K but if it's been driven hard then probably not.

Have you got a reliable independent near you? Sounds like they don't have a clue to me and are grasping at straws. I recently had a leaking gasket replaced on my gearbox which I was told was quite common - 2 hours labour plus cost of gasket (less than a fiver), and new gearbox oil. The gear change has improved on mine since and no further leak. Time for a second opinion I would say if they don't come up with a fix that doesn't cost you money.

In my experience dealers are **** takers who are just after squeezing as much cash out of us as they can. I agree, take it to an independant.

Maybe the selector needs adjusting......just a thought

Cheers,

I've got it booked into my local inpedendant dealer who's going to check it over for me. it's booked into Audi for the 5th time for the oil leak on Monday, hopefully if there's nothing wrong with the clutch I can tell them then and get them to sort out the gearbox which they've broken.

The S3 clutches have plent of meat on them, I doubt you'd get through one after just 40k. Have you been doing a lot of 1/4 mile sprints?

Took my car to my local garage for them to check it over, after telling them that my gearbox had been taken apart on more than one occasion by audi, and that the gear change was fine before they took the gearbox apart they said that my dealer has either used the wrong gearbox oil or has damaged the clutch plate whilst removing/replacing the gearbox. Thinking it could be the clutch plate seeing as they have advised me to replace the clutch. Gearbox oil still leaking and now engine oil leaking aswell, Really not impressed with that, car going back in on Monday so will be having some serious words with the manager. :wtf: