How low can i go with 18's

dubhyper

Illegally Street
Reaction score
evening all, Im thinking about lowering my (98) A3. Im wondering how low can i go with a set of 18's on it.....I haven't wheels yet, gonna do that after.

As my shocks,(standard) still have a lot of life in them, im gonna go with the cheaper option of just springs for the moement.
Im thinking i would like to drop the car 40mm . but im unsure if i will have rubbing in the arches, esp at the front when turning. Anyone who has done this would be great to know what you think?????....cheers in advance.

well for one thing 40mm drop on std shocks........................ hope your not going to go fast in it.

40 mm should be fine on 18`s but having not done it myself im sure someone will be along at a reasonable hour to give you a better ans..

oh the joy of nights

The only thing you may need to watch if you drop it too much then it is pssible for the front ARB to hit the drive shaft!! You may need some longer drop links or an aftermarket ARB with bgger loops.
I also wouldn't try and drop it 40mm on standard shocks as that is going to wear them out very quickly and they may not be able to control the rebound and could lead to unpredictable handling.

When i had my A3 i went 80mm on 19's and with a little bit of arche work on the front and a new ARB it stopped rubbing. Anything after 40mm and your going to be rubbing on the ARB.

So what about 35mm or 30mm. I know what you ment by un-predictable handling, had that in an old Mk2 golf (which had lowered springs and spring clamps).
At 30mm will the shocks handle that ok? The Audi is quite a bouncy ride standard - esp. when I think about my other motor. Soon to be sold.
Really I need to dig a little deeper in my pockets and get a shock/spring set. But money is tight. I got to do something about this boat im driving.

:readit:

So are Eibach sportline 50mm springs are out of the question with standard shocks? By the way DPM how much can you do the A3 fwd Eibach sportlines for?

ok, ive purchased some jamex 30 mm lowerring springs.....got them well cheap....dont say you get what you pay for....i know you guys all love your bilsteins and H&R's(probably for good reason). I will let you know how it all turns out.....fingers crossed ill have them on by saturday.... cheers for h:rockwoot: elp b4...

afternoon. just an update had the jamex fitted today..too lazy to get my hands dirty.. the car has alot less boatyness and corners a little better. nothing to boast about when compared with coilover shocks and springs. it does sit nicer as you would expect .it will do for the moement. total cost including fitting and springs. £180 ..labour was 120(bit dear i thought, but i suppose they do have to remove the shocks anyway...nevermind)...all in all im happy.

hi am needing my a3 lowered i was recomended 30mm ebaich springs from my mate in checkpoint,so have u got any pics of ur a3 lowered 30mm?av got 18" RS6 alloys, what kind of wheels u putting on?:blackrs4: :racer:

Im lowered 50mm on eibach springs, and would definately recommend them.. handleing is superb! Probably less roll then when I had coilovers on my polo gti.

I think its an essential mod.

Ga3ry hi am needing my a3 lowered i was recomended 30mm ebaich springs from my mate in checkpoint,so have u got any pics of ur a3 lowered 30mm?av got 18" RS6 alloys, what kind of wheels u putting on?
Im gonna put 18's ...no VAG's im gonna go aftermarket...still not made my mind up...plus waiting for that deal you just cant let go....will post picture tonight..but i cant submit in threads..youll have to check my gallery for them...but if you want my advice..get coil over shocks as well...seriously ..they are SO SO much better, the labour would practically be the same if you were paying someone...just got to find that extra ton odd notes a corner. Having taken the cheaper option...i know i should have got shocks as well....And will be changing them all as soon as 1 goes.

ive seen an s3 on 18's dropped 80-85 mm, arch work of course, £40 per rolled arch!