Ghost Brake Lights.

CzGordon

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a bizzare problem with my 2002 S3, i had a search and couldn't find a similar problem.

After leaving my car parked on the drive for a prolonged period of time (driveway slight incline), prolonged being 12 or so hours, the brake lights come on. This has hapenned twice now. puting the key in the ignition and pumping the pedal resets the lights however the brake lights then blink when the car is locked using the key fob.

I have recently had the drivers door latch replaced as the DIS was indicating the door was open. its going into Audi (Aberdeen) on Wednesday to get sorted. i had this done after returning from Holiday and finding the battery completely dead - AA guy reckoned this was the problem as none of the ilights had been left on. although im now thinking that possible the problem may be this brake light thing. the car was parked in a different place when the battery ran down though.

Anybody had a similar problem or got any ideas what the problem is??

Chris

I've not had it happen to me, but give Aberdeen audi all this info of what and when it happened and it should help them locate the problem quicker. I have used them in the past and they are pretty good.

If it was just a faulty brake switch I would have thought it wouldn't be a problem with the ignition off, shouldn't be powered with the keys out.

Good luck!:hi:

Brake lights can stay on after the car is locked up. This happened to me - the brake light switch activated by the brake pedal was set too sensitive on mine and sometimes the brake lights would be on when I returned to the car. You just need to adjust the switch - unless the switch is faulty.

Hiya, I think similar fault to this one. Had a good read, but can't see any instructions.....

Failed to on 1st time - drained battery - realised what had happened - got car booked in - got pulled (********) -very nice police man (just producer once sorted) - 7 switches later!!! and 4 days later switch fixed - 2 weeks later failed again.

Booked in for thursday to replace again, but can't afford to be without car for 4 days again. If this is easy I'll do it myself tommorow though. That said I am fcuking useless without clear instructions so....

1. Any detailed instruction on how to channge switch would be appreciated
2. any ideas on other possible reasons for repeated failure to get rid of my "oh **** this little problem is gonna cost me a fortune". feeling.

Thanks guys.

Kev.

treblesykes said:
dont brake lights work with key in or out?

They do on my '03 A4 (and on all Jags, I used to work for them)