Just fitted H&R springs + Bilstein B8's.

leecs3 said:
can argue all day about this but getting bored of it now

Such a shame I'm boring you...
Not arguing anyway...merely stating fact based upon experience.
I've not argued that ARBs on otherwise standard cars won't give a huge improvement...they will...but on an S3 with it's pathetic damping it's potentially dangerous.

Feel free to choose to ignore my observations...but I had the rear of my S3 snap unload twice on the standard suspension / ARB which tells me the rear dampers aren't up to the standard ARB never mind a stiffer bar.

I really couldn't care how many people write their cars off finding out the hard way...the warning is there...it's up to the individual whether they heed it or not.

and pic's say more than words. I'll leave it at that.

fl1.jpg

Congratulations...what class/car? (If you don't mind me asking..purely out of interest...as I'm a fan)

We'll have to agree to differ on our thoughts on suspension.

and heres my problem with toyo's.
DSC02041.jpg

They are T1-Ss?
Never seen anything like that before...my last 4 sets were perfect (on 3 cars)...right down to the wearbands with no evidence of cracking like that...

fun.jpg

They are my T1-Rs, taken today...maybe 10,000 miles, 18-20 months old...no cracking.

Agreed - a great discussion and really appreciate the input - thx all. I think given my cars done 85,000 miles the dampers must be pretty shot anyway I'll go with the safe consensus and upgrade springs & dampers first and then ARBs as soon as funds allow...

speaking of which, I'm sure I saw a recent thread suggesting a possible H&R/Bilstein group buy? Anyone else up for that as I'm ready to order...???

We can sort out the H&R side for you and in the not too distant future we'll be stocking Bilstein. I know it doesn't help now but we'll be able to still give you a good price on the H&R springs.

ChriS3 said:
Good grief!!!! You're not changing your mind over the use of electronic aids are you? Or are you just agreeing on the ride hieght :biggrin:

The ride height Dear Boy...the ride height.

The electronics do a good job of masking a deeper problem for people who can't be bothered getting to the root cause of the understeer..

More than one way to skin a cat...and all that.

The Haldex controller does work...but I still prefer the organic approach of sorting the chassis without resorting to electronic trickery...but at the end of the day...if it works and feel good, who am I to argue? :moa:

Has anyone got both the sorted chassis AND the haldex ecu?

tommo-turbo said:
Has anyone got both the sorted chassis AND the haldex ecu?

ChriS3 has...
Perhaps not the ideal H&R / Bilstein chassis...but an alternative to that...and the Performance Haldex Controller.

And it's very nice indeed to drive...:thumbsup:

I think I'm gonna go the tried n tested route first, then I'll probably get the haldex if I think I need it later on. Just the issue with new tyres or new wheels debate now...

tommo-turbo said:
I think I'm gonna go the tried n tested route first, then I'll probably get the haldex if I think I need it later on. Just the issue with new tyres or new wheels debate now...

If you go the whole hog...springs, dampers, ARBs, adjustable tie bars, aggressive set up, 18" wheels, Brembos, decent tyres...and a Haldex controller, you'd end up with a very capable S3 indeed....

So you'd recommend 18's? With me needing new tyres I'm considering getting new wheels while I've got some bargaining leverage. Makes sense if I'll need bigger rims in the future to upgrade now.

You really are an invaluable source of knowledge dude! Keep it coming!

Rich

silver75 said:
BBS light 'n' strong if you decide to change

The man speaks the truth..

Light and strong is the way to go...BBS fit the bill if you like them, which I do.

8" x 18" and 225/40/18 tyres seem to work the best...any wider and you get more tramlining and bump steer type side effects.

Be careful with wheel choice too...some require the fitment of spacers to clear big brakes, which can push a wide, low offset wheels outwards and lead to clearance issues if used with lowered suspension.
18" RSTT type need spacers fitting for example...

Ess_Three said:
ChriS3 has...
Perhaps not the ideal H&R / Bilstein chassis...but an alternative to that...and the Performance Haldex Controller.

And it's very nice indeed to drive...:thumbsup:

Thank you, most kind. You might like it even more next week, your opinions will be most welcome once it's all finished.

I think I'll save the large capacity, high revving NA (maybe) engine for the next car.

Yours is no longer the most powerful S3 on Star's rollers, but you still keep your torque record. :faint:

I'm on my 2nd set of Toyos T1-S with no split problems, after previously using Yoko sports, Bridgestone S03s and P -Zeros (factory fit on my 02 S3) I think the toyos are the best all round tyre I have tried.

cheers glen,

was only thinking of coilovers as I was offered a set cheap KW series 2 or something like that.

might need to do this mod before the banbino comes along in 20 weeks .........

mytyres.co.uk quote 120-130 quid a corner for Goodyear's V rated winter tyre in 225/40/18. Will I get away with the regular Summer Eagle F1's for winter use?

not if it snows you wont, lol..they're a very good alrounder tho ;)

Ess_Three said:
If you go the whole hog...springs, dampers, ARBs, adjustable tie bars, aggressive set up, 18" wheels, Brembos, decent tyres...and a Haldex controller, you'd end up with a very capable S3 indeed....

Roll on October 16th, ticking all the boxes except the Brembo's, but the brakes are done already.... Jim@Star will think its Crimbo and birthday on the same day... the loud whistling that afternoon will be my wallet in freefall....

Oh, Glen, thanks for the excellent info on setting up the car in the stickies, its a great help...

Hi,

Can anyone please confirm the part numbers for the S3:

Bilstein-b8 Sprint
VE3-4708
BE5-6035

H&R 50312-1 SPORT SPRINGS

We dont have many Bilstein/H&R vendors here and I want to give our local guys the exact part numbers so that there's no confusion.

Thanks
J

99.9% sure that bilstein shocks are correct

Perhaps i should take a trip to Scotland and try to take the "title" from you chris!

ChriS3 said:
I think I'll save the large capacity, high revving NA (maybe) engine for the next car.

Yours is no longer the most powerful S3 on Star's rollers, but you still keep your torque record. :faint:

Definetly would be a good day!
I am interested in hearing about your conversion chris as we had a chat at inters,using the stock manifold and 330bhp seems to dispel alot of rumours.