closing of drivers window (help)

Vikz

Reaction score
my drivers window is struggling close most times. often it would get half way up, slow down then suddenly go back down a little bit.

i try not to use that window but when i do and have to close it i put my palm against the window and push upwards while my left hand is on the window switch.

can anyone shed some light on my problem? maybe the motor has gone?

thanks.

sounds like the motor, does it sound any different from the other window motor ? does it sound like its straining ? it's possible the window may of come out of the runners.

sounds like the age old problem of those crappy plastic runners snapping...

Yes you'll need a new frame/runners for the window, common problem on older A3's. Not expensive though, about £100 fitted IIRC

well the motor sounds fine when its going up but then half way up it sounds like it's straining.

where can get hold of a new frame and runners?

i found a set for £75, but i'm still wondering if it's the motor or the frame and runners? can some please advise me coz i don't want to spend £75 on the wrong part.

thanks

It's far more likely to be the frame as this is a common problem on A3's. If it was the motor then it would be far more likely that it wouldn't work at all.
I had exactly the same problem with my old A3 1.8T. Drivers window, halfway up would go all the way down. If you hold the up button and manually assist the glass n its travel then no problem.
What happens is broken runner then allows the window glass to skew slightly on its way up. This puts extra load on the motor which then thinks there's something in the way, so retracts.
From what you've described I would say it's 99% the frame. I know a handful of people on hear have had the frame go, I haven't heard of a motor even failing let alone getting lazy.

Yep, mine's doing the same thing at the moment...

Strangely it's intermittent, it seems far more likely to happen if it's wet. I'm guessing it's the frame too. The door card's coming off on Sunday to investigate...

Regards,

Rob.

cheers for helpl. will be ordering the frame and runners tomorrow hopefully, found a new set for £60.

fractionone, let me know whats happening with yours when you take the door card off on sunday.

thanks for that, will try and have a look at mine tomorrow.