Smaller Back Box

Nad*s3

Reaction score
:crying: I recently had a full s/s custom exhaust system fitted to the car, i realised that the back box was much smaller than the normal size ( i.e small cylinder shape kind of thing instead of being a large rectangle one), i had a look on the net and saw that the miltek/supersprint systems had the larger rectangle box, could this smaller box cause me any problems? the car feels a bit slower as in less tourque, i dnt knw if its me or the exhaust' pls help!:unsure:

What bore is the custom system?

Does it go all the way back to the turbo and include/replace the CAT's?

de-cat(replacement pipes), std down pipe, 2.25" cat bak to silencer goes into 2", wt u think?

Nad*s3 said:
de-cat(replacement pipes), std down pipe, 2.25" cat bak to silencer goes into 2", wt u think?

Presumably you've had some sort of remap to tell the ECU to ignore the signal from the post cat lambda (REVO Stage 2 or similar)?

I thought the OE S3 exhaust was around a 2.25" bore anyway? Bit odd that it then reduces to 2" at the end?

Who made the system; have they produced systems for the S3 or other BAM or similar VAG engines before?

Seems a slightly odd configuration. Most important aspect is how the ECU is dealing with the signal from the second lambda.

Nad*s3 said:

only had a taste of the 5hr trial revo, booked in for a stage 2 revo on fri, had the work done from mij performance, owner has his own S3 and have dne quite a few, also dne a few golf gti's,

Nad*s3 said:
only had a taste of the 5hr trial revo, booked in for a stage 2 revo on fri, had the work done from mij performance, owner has his own S3 and have dne quite a few, also dne a few golf gti's,

so have you got a light on the dash at the moment?

I'd say you're down on power because the ECU ain't happy with the signal (or lack of signal) from the second lambda.

REVO Stage 2 should sort that out; but i'd speak to whoever installs the software about it before they upload it, just incase their is another problem.

What do you plan to do about your MOT?

I aint the owner, i only work there!...

Mine is setup with a Revo aggressive map now.

Exhaust system comprises of:
3" downpipe,
2.5" single de-cat
2.5" middle section up to resonater
2.25" from resonator to the backbox
2" backbox into tailpipe.

I tried various setup & found this to be the best.

I had a full 2.5" was less torquee...
Then 2.5" into 2" was torque but not flowing as easily and now obv the setup above.

i gotta get it on the rollers to see what power im looking at. I must admit that its made hell of a difference in the drive, pickup is smoother now & response. Revo is nice n hard, timing adjusted to allow 60 in 2nd. i hit around 64mph in 2nd. Cant beat that feeling!!

:)

and Nad, your car is being worked on at the mo!!

mazzy said:
I aint the owner, i only work there!...

Mine is setup with a Revo aggressive map now.

Exhaust system comprises of:
3" downpipe,
2.5" single de-cat
2.5" middle section up to resonater
2.25" from resonator to the backbox
2" backbox into tailpipe.

I tried various setup & found this to be the best.

I had a full 2.5" was less torquee...
Then 2.5" into 2" was torque but not flowing as easily and now obv the setup above.

i gotta get it on the rollers to see what power im looking at. I must admit that its made hell of a difference in the drive, pickup is smoother now & response. Revo is nice n hard, timing adjusted to allow 60 in 2nd. i hit around 64mph in 2nd. Cant beat that feeling!!

:)

and Nad, your car is being worked on at the mo!!

If it works it works :) Do you agree about the Lambda thing or are you looking at the exhaust itself?

You work for MIJ then? Just emailed you lot for a quote ;)

the engine management light is not on... on nads.

Mine is on due to the map. Revo are making a custom code up and i will upload that onto the car.

how far are you raising the limiter to hit 64mph in 2nd? It'd be interesting to see the dyno at that rev limit, as i bet the k04 runs out of blow way before the new limit - unless you have a big turbo?

My engine management light hasnt come on, runs fine aswell, kept the looks and sounds ok not too loud either,need re-mapp quick, had a good 5hrs last week now car feels slow, definetly need brake and suspension upgrade, should have pics soon, oh yeh and mazz needs to hurry up and get the revo srted instead of grinning every time i ask him' i need more boost!!

oh yeh hv 2 say, car felt smoother wid the revo in terms of pic up running etc!

madvw said:
how far are you raising the limiter to hit 64mph in 2nd? It'd be interesting to see the dyno at that rev limit, as i bet the k04 runs out of blow way before the new limit - unless you have a big turbo?

True, but its sounds mental wen its passed 7k. Anyway im looking to get a bigger fuel regulator & fmic then im ready for the stage 2.

Mite not to the big turbo upgrade. I duno yet.