faulty drivers door catch / switch

jediknight

Reaction score
Website
www.nathanwillits.com
My drivers door shows as open on the DIS when its not. also the interior lights stay on.

I know the switch for this is in the door.

anyone know costs and difficulty levels of changing this

thanks in advance

my S3 does this now and again, probaly needs a new door latch as this is where the sensors is, will be getting it done soon, in the mean time i just shut the door more firmly

The lock needs to be changed.. this kept happening to me during the summer. You can try WD40 for the short term

It was £38 for my passenger side latch and wasn't too bad to change for me, not sure if you can still search all the old posts but if you can there were quite a few with how too's etc a few months back.

cant find any links.. any ideas people?

its back in the garage at audi on friday anyway to get headlight motors changed so if i cant find out how to do it myself i'll just get them to do it.

ta

Basically you take the door card off - about 4 screws, then remove some fiddly connectors, then you can split the door frame from the shell by undoing some big bolts (at the same time marking the spacers for poistion), then hold the frame with window etc in the closed position with some tape or similar. Then you should be able to swap out the latch after playing with some more fiddley connectors, the latch is seperate from the lock / handle so it's these connections that are a pain, and removing the weather cover, but it's really not too bad.

If you take the door card off you'll see what's involved, then if you've got any quesions let me know.

Once you have the lock/latch in your hand you can see the micro switch that is causing the problems. You can carefully bend this back into the correct position with small pliers. You know when it's in the right place as you can here it click when you manually close the catch.

Hope this helps.

Regards, John.