headlight protectors, worth it?

Personally I don't like how they look. They make the headlights look plasticky and cheap.

That said, if they prevent a stone going through a xenon headlight cluster, they will have saved you several hundred pounds.

The headlight glass is extremely strong anyway, it would take a big stone / impact to damage one.

So is it worth £40? Probably, in that dealers sell them for a lot more, but do you like how they look and is the risk of damage great enough to warrant them?

i dont have xenon lights, just plain standard ones.
anyone got any pics of what they actually look like?

i steered away from the front full stonechip pack as its a plastic cover thats stuck over, but i though the lights are pretty transparent..

If you want these go to a Audi stealer amazingly they are cheaper, I paid £25 frm a locaol stealer for mine not £40!!

have you got a picture of what yours looks like with the protectors on? is it really noticeable that its on?

I dont have a picture of them at the moment but will try & get one later, they are noticable when you get close up but from a couple of metres away you wouldnt know they are there, I have also managed to pick up a small star shaped crack were a stone has hit the protector - I am glad I had them or that would be on the light lens - & expensive!

they do seem to stick out a bit, but i suppose a cracked headlight is more expensive than the protector would ever be, hmm what to do, what to do!

I had them on both of my B5 A4s, primarily for protection reasons, but I admit I quite liked the look as well, but that's obviously a personal thing.

Haven't yet got round to getting a set for the B6, but what is interesting is that my dealer told me the light lenses on the B6 are made of the same material as the protectors (i.e. not glass but poly-whatsit plastic).

Had these on my S3 when I bought it but took them off soon after - partly for aesthetics and partly as I found them a pain in the behind when cleaning the car (I'm lazy). Not sure I'd bother to be honest, especially if you're not protecting an expensive replacement cost.

''can you get a closeup pic from the side if at all possible? thanks.''

should be able to take a couple tomorrow & will post them about mid day

I got a set of ebay, genuine ones for 99p plus postage, you dont notice them at all really, well worth protecting those headlights!

for that price (and depending on how much postage is/was) then i'll deffo look into them i think.

would like to see what s3_ad's pics look like though.

The earlier cars (excluding the S3)had glass headlamp lenses which are worth protecting, the later cars have plastic lenses which are less likely to break anyway

Iv'e been looking into getting a set of these as when I had my Golf Mk 4 a stone was flicked up by a car in front and completely smashed one of the protectors I had on.

I had to spend £40 for a new set but much better than £180!!

S3 AD said:
oh they dont stick out quite as bad as i thought they would, yeah might have to keep an eye out for them as i think the ebay auction i was watching ended a few days ago (doh!)