Suspension Noise

steve808

Reaction score
I own an 03 S3, had it just over a year, currently 33K miles on the clock. Over the past month or so I've begun to hear a creaking/knocking coming from the front suspension when I go over dips/speed bumps uneaven road etc.
Is this a common problem with S3's or am I just unlucky? Also if anyone can throw any light on this do they have any idea of repair costs.
This is a real pain in the ***, especially when the warranty only ran out in february and having shelled out 560 quid on a service 2 months ago......sods law comes to mind.
Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I think it is a common problem on S3's and TT's. There are quite a few posts around regarding the creaking noises, and in most cases it normally turns out to be the Anti-Roll Bar bushes or the plastic sleaves which hold the bushes in place.

On some cars, the noise is louder than on others. My car for example has the noise at the rear, but its a mild creak when you shut the boot or get in/out of the car. But doesn't make any loud creaks over bumps etc.

Mines in at the dealer today, for a couple of niggles (extended warranty due to end soon). So I'll let you know what they come back with...but I don't hold much hope.

AL

I had this on my A3 took it to the dealers but they wouldnt change the bushes under warranty, I think they lubricated them and they have stopped creaking

Mine also is going in on wednesday as my wishbone bushes have gone completely after lowering her the weekend. It knocks at every little defect in the road now.

i have a similar problem about the same mileage although its the steering column, which really surprised me.

just had wishbone bushes replaced cos they got a mention in my last service still creakin though must be arb.read a lot about different models in the audi range on the net and audi driver bushes seems to be a problem on quite a few different models and for some time.you would think that if audi knows this is a reocurring problem they would make some effort to rectify it

steve, common problem. Check the FAQ at the top of this forum for more info.

Cheers

Hi Just thought I'd report back on this one.

Dealer has said they have replaced the complete rear ARB, along with bushes and clamps. Which is good. The other thing they said was that they had to change the complete ARB because the plastic sleeves are "part of" the ARB, and one had cracked. Now I'm not sure if thats a little bit of spin or not, I'll have to check my parts CD (ETKA).

But for now, the creaking has gone.

AL

mad max said:
you would think that if audi knows this is a reocurring problem they would make some effort to rectify it

.. the funny thing is whenever Ive mentioned this problem to my dealer they have looked at me with blank faces as though they have never heard of this problem.. :ermm:

The std S3 ARB`s do have sleves on them, whereas the larger R32 ARB do not. My rear was in one piece when I changed it but the front sleves had cracked slightly.

There will be no cracking on the R32 ones :)