Holding Revs Between Gears

Lovegroover

Reaction score
When revving my car hard (above 5,000 RPM) and changing into second my car jaults quite badly when the clutch re-engages (as if i weren't taking my foot off the accelarator). It only seems to be noticable in 1st to 2nd and maybe into 3rd.
It seems as though the revs almost stick (or hang between gears). I recently serviced my Viper DV as i thought this could be the culprit, but to no avail.
Is it worth changing the N75 valve and if so which one should i use for an APY engine?
Cheers.

P.s - By the way i have an uprated MTM clutch, so knackered clutch should not be part of the equation. I hope :undwech:

AFAIK it's a common problem with the VAG 6 speed 'box they used with 1.8T. I've experienced it in a Leon and a TT. Occasionaly the 5 speed 'box in my A3 1.8T does it too.

Typically it was worse when the engine wasn't fully up to temperature. I found uprating the mount between the engine and gearbox (dogbone mount) helped.

Basically it'd feel like the gearstick was slightly stuck coming out of first in to second and you'd feel a clunk through the transmission.

I just don't bother running high revs in first much, it's not good for the clutch anyway.

Of course your problem might not be the one i've described :biggrin:

Didn't consider the dogbone mount as a potential culprit - have pondered with the idea of changing this anyway as it is still original.

Lovegroover said:
Didn't consider the dogbone mount as a potential culprit - have pondered with the idea of changing this anyway as it is still original.

The engine is generating a lot of opposing forces at high revs, i guess due to the position of first and it's gearing that these forces cause something to every so slightly mis-align; this is impeding the gear-change and the action of changing gear causes whatever to re-align suddenly - hence the clunk.

A degree of 'flex' is necassery in the transmission; the dogbone mount is there to allow this but i think the OE bushes are a little too soft and allow too much movement of the gearbox. Another side-effect of this is wheel hop or unnacessery intrusion of the traction control (which one depends on whether you have it on or off).

No traction control = constantly off!

This may be worth a try, as i have always felt that 1st to 2nd with any beans involved is not as silky as it should be.