Sony GT headunit to Audi A3

EMDOSMIKE

Burnin' the clutch
Reaction score
OK gents I've got a sony GT head unit in my audi. Took me ages to get the cable to connect it. Anyway got it going but barely. All the speakers work but the sub doesn't! Any1 know how to get it going?

I take it you used an ISO block connector ? have a look at the original one and see if there are any wires which dont connect on the other end of the block

Everything looks connected. Am i right in thinking that the concert system might have some sort of special direct link to the sub, Something that the sony system might not have?

Thanks

wen i had mine done i needed a bose adapter so that the sub nad amp all works

hope that helps ?

it isnt cheap by the way!

Jason

Got it working yet?

So do we get to see a photo?

I am interested to see how it looks!!

The factory sub (and rear-speakers AFAIK) run from a MOSF... er, "amp" - If you've just got the ISO power-block and ISO speaker-block plugged into the HU (the two large plugs), you haven't got the amp connected. The connection for that is one of the smaller plugs that connects above the other two (well, on the Concert HU anyway).

IIRC (and as previously touched-on) there are two adapters available to connect an aftermarket HU to the Audi amp - one is for cars with Bose, the other for those with standard systems - they're both available from caraudiodirect.com and the like. However, (and again IIRC) they basically convert a speaker-level signal coming from the ISO speaker-block into a line-level signal for the amp. If you're anything like concerned about sound quality this isn't ideal.

The best thing you can do (I'd say) is look at connecting the Audi amp to the pre-outs on your HU - I'd guess the connections are similar if not identical (beware, pinout is probably different even if the plugs are the same). I wouldn't have thought it would be a particularly complicated job - if you can maybe post some more details about the stereo (exact model number), and what connectors (colour, number of pins etc.) you have left over from the Audi loom; I'm sure I'm not the only person on here who'll have a stab at advising you what's what. [Worth noting of course that if you can, posting pics to go with your descriptions will probably expedite the process]

Regards,

Rob.

Did you use an Autoleads ISO connector?
I tried this with an Autoleads PC9-401 but got interferrence through the rear speakers as the headunit had a built in amp.
At first the rears and sub didn't work as I hadn't connected the head unit switched feed (blue wire) to the autoleads lead.