will this sit too high?

matt5594

Reaction score
got a A3 1.8t sport and getting a set of 17" alloys from an s3, will my car look like its a 4x4 and need lowering or will it look alright?

it should look ok your car will sit around 15mm higher in the arches than a standard s3.

yep it wont look too good, I always lower my cars first and buy alloys later.

no it wont look that bad, but i think your car would look better on the standard allows, but lower, rather than better alloys and higher.

Thats just my opinion, you gotta do with what you feel's right !

this was my golf on standard suspension, with 17" BBS on:

1.jpg

well the 16" alloys are pretty scuffed/corroding a bit (its a 2nd hand car you see), so i've got the opportunity to get some better alloys whilst not straying too far from the audi look, which is good for me.

worse case, i can get it lowered at a later date! :)

i'd be going from 205/55/R16s to 225/45/R17s tyres.

Here's mine with whatever suspension is fitted to a sport-spec A3 as standard sitting on S3 rims...

Regards,

Rob.

(Click for higher-res)

FactionOne said:
Here's mine with whatever suspension is fitted to a sport-spec A3 as standard sitting on S3 rims...

Regards,

Rob.

(Click for higher-res)

how much is that lowered by? thats quite nice how it sits.

i was thinking of maybe getting them refurb'd/respray'd in possibly anthracite, i think more black is just overkill given what my car looks like.

Like I say, it's standard suspension for a sport model...

As far as I've always been lead to be believe, that would mean that it's about 20mm lower than a base-spec A3 - I don't know how an SE fits in (I'd guess there's just an old-person friendly blamange in each corner in place of a spring and damper) - Also, I'm not sure how much (if any) lower an S3 is beyond a sport-spec A3; there seems to be a range of opinion on this - I've still never seen anything printed in Ingolstadt which proves any of the theories though.

Anyway, long story short, your turbo-sport will have the same height suspension as mine from the factory, so in theory should look exactly the same as that photo with the Avus rims fitted...

Regards,

Rob.

oh right, i need to learn to read for some reason i assumed was an adjustable suspension that you had, thats good cos i like the look the alloys on your car.

:) :)

No worries, and thanks!

I'd be a fibber if I said there weren't times when I'd prefer the wheels an inch bigger, and the suspension about an inch lower; but I'm still pretty pleased with it, and it's a whole lot better than it was with its 15"s on.

Take it easy,

Rob.

if thgat photo is anything to go by it will be fine, i know suspension will settle a little aswell.

FactionOne said:
As far as I've always been lead to be believe, that would mean that it's about 20mm lower than a base-spec A3....

Allways thought A3 sports were 30 mm lower than standard.. 17s will look fine on a sport as later cars had 17 inch wheels on as an option and they look ok to me. Obviously it will look better lowered but i think you can get away with it on standard.

With the change in aspect ratio of the tyres the overall diameter of the S3 wheels and tyres compared to your original 16" ones will be exactly the same (OK, maybe a few mm differant). It won't 'sit up' on them at all.

No harm in lowering it a bit though :cool: