Diverter Valve q's

madvw

Reaction score
hopefully someone can help me out here...

After 36k on the original DV, its about (over) time to change it. Im not noticing huge performance problems, but it does feel a little laggy, and I can hear the turbo hiss much more than on my brothers TT.

The questions are:

1. I still have the factory crimp connectors on, I know that these are not reusable, but what are the sizes i need for the vac, boost in, and boost out pipes? Yes i know i'm lazy not to just measure them...

2. Some people replace the vac hose when replacing the DV. Is this really neccessary?

Cheers. :beerchug:

I believe the crimp connectors are re-usable, you just need the special tool to release them. I just used jubilee clamps on the wifes A3.

cant answer number 2 for you :(

1. measure them you lazy get :D

2. you only need to replace them if they are worn.

haha, unless I can find a VAG crimp tool, I'm gonna have to get off my **** then! :lazy:

once the vag's are off don't bother with them, jubilees do nicely, get smallest for the vacs, dv's are around 30mm

Just like madvw I have noticed a slight drop in performance recently.

My car has not been pulling as it has been and it seems you need to really press down on the accelerator to get any performance instead of just part throttle.

I have changed the DV back to the original one from a Hyperboost one and the difference was amazing, I get a more noticable boost noise from the DV instead of a weak wooshh that I used to get and car pulls better on part throttle.

Do these DV's ie the Hyperboost ones weaken over time?

Just that on my previous S3 this DV was sticking, it was supposedly serviced and good for use again but seems to have broken again? The spring seems softer when pressed than the original Audi OE one, would this make me lose boost if it takes little pressure to lift the piston?

For info the Hyperboost one has probs done around 45k on the original spring and seals etc...only being cleaned and lubed up with oil.

Any comments would be appreciated!

I used jubilee clips, much easier even though if you have the tool you can re-use the clip ones. Vac hose doesn't "need" a clip as it is sucking so only put one on if you'll worry about it!

P.S. take the engine cover off and the DV is behind the head and slightly to the right. Follow the hose from the airbox to the inlet and you won't miss it! :thumbsup:

jamS3, maybe your DV needs a rebuild? piston type DVs leak air as the grease gets pushed away...won't seal properly. but i don't know how often they will need a rebuild.

I think I may have confused myself and you.
Inlet and outlet of DV. Not the 'tubes' which the op refers to, I.e. External diameter of pipes.
I need the internal diameter.

Im on 138k and it was only changed about 30k under warranty.
Should I replace mine? Haven't noticed any problems though.
Dave

Last edited:
internal diameter must be about 25mm.

Dave no harm in changing it, buy a forge or bailey item. I would also check for boost leaks.

The DV inlet and outlets are 25mm.

Epic thread bump Karl.

/thread.

internal diameter must be about 25mm.

Dave no harm in changing it, buy a forge or bailey item. I would also check for boost leaks.

I'm too old for a psst between changes 😊
How do I check for leaks?

Dave