Anyone on here changed their own Shocks?

Tallpaul

Reaction score
Anyone who has tinkered with their own shocks can they give me a shout?

I've got a couple of questions ;-)

god_thats_quick said:
Probably best to ask directly on here... I've done quite a bit of replacing bits of the front suspension on my S3 so happy to help if I can.

sweet,

Can you have a butchers at these links, how similar are the 8L A3 shocks in terms of mounting/removal:

http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/ibiza_front_shock_absorber_change.htm

http://www.seat-ibiza-mk4.co.uk/ibiza_rear_shock_absorber_change.htm

Is the VAG spreader tool neccasery for removing the struts from the hubs?

Its not a hard job. You need the strut top nut tool. A socket with a hole in it and a big allen key, and you can make something to spread the hub apart...I used a screw driver part ground down that i put it and cranked 90o to spread it..works a treat!

Rich

RichA3Turbo said:
Its not a hard job. You need the strut top nut tool. A socket with a hole in it and a big allen key, and you can make something to spread the hub apart...I used a screw driver part ground down that i put it and cranked 90o to spread it..works a treat!

Rich

Is there a specific tool available for the strut top nut? halfaurds?

The hub spreader is only £6 from VAG so i'll buy that.

Cant the RHD strut be removed without dropping the driveshaft as in the link above?

I use a long swan neck ring spanner for the top mount nuts, I had to grind it down a bit to get it to fit into the topmount, but it works a treat now.

I found the best thing for the top mount was to get down your local car parts place and get a spark plug socket the right size for the nut and take out the rubber insert so you can get the allen key through it and get a long reach allen key at the same time, job done!

The worst bit for me was splitting the lower joint to release the damper from the hub, I filled down a hex socket in the end and it did the job (when it didn't pop out) and actually getting the clearance to get the ****** thing out - I ended up removing the wishbone to JUST allow me to get it out on one side (you are supposed to remove the driveshaft if you follow the Audi instructions).

I'd happily do it again but give yourself plenty of time and don't rush, think there's some helpful guides about, those on the seat thing are pretty good.