Wheel / Tyre change pressure query

S3 AD

Reaction score
This week end I am Final fitting the 18's I have had in the garage for the last 2 months, I needed to get the final few MM worth of tread from the 17's. Finishing off the Avons has not been much fun - I do not think much of em, It will be much better getting back on F1's :) I decided to keep OEM ish looks with out fitting the RS4 reps - that do look good but is a very comon look now, I have gone for 18 Avus II's

I have seen people running different tyre pressures on 18's on S3's I know that this can be subjective as to how you like the car to handle, & I will have a play to see what I like but what would be a good starting point for pressures on 18's?

Finally settled on 33F/37R after playing for a while. Do keep the front / rear differential though as this does make a big difference. I wonder if you'll find the 18s heavy in comparison? I did until I swopped RSTTs for BBS.

Cheers, that will give me a starting point for my experiments :)

If I notice a big difference with extra weight - I will be saving for a set of light weight wheels, the 18's look excellent but I am not prepared to loose handling balance, btw dose anyone know the weight of a standard Avus 17'' wheel??

S3 AD said:

If I notice a big difference with extra weight - I will be saving for a set of light weight wheels, the 18's look excellent but I am not prepared to loose handling balance, btw dose anyone know the weight of a standard Avus 17'' wheel??

The Audi S4 17 x 7.5 Avus weighs 28lb, i imagine the S3 one weighs the same.

Uber usefull wheel weight database here:

http://www.wheelweights.net/

S3 AD said:

My avus (with tyre) weighed in at 48 lb compared to the RSTT at just over 51lb. The BBS I now have on are 19.5 lb excluding the tyres. The car is much better on the BBS - sharper turn in, and noticeable difference in acceleration and stopping.

What do your 18s weigh?

The 18'' Avus II's I have weigh in at just over 11.5 KG each excluding tyres - all this talk of lbs is confusing me though :crying:

S3 AD said:
The 18'' Avus II's I have weigh in at just over 11.5 KG each excluding tyres - all this talk of lbs is confusing me though :crying:

Just multiply by 2.2. to get lbs, so 11.5 KG=25 and a bit lbs - lighter than OEM RSTTs and not much more than some BBS.