Another petrol / remap question

monkeytrousers

Reaction score
Hi,

When I had my car remapped at AMD last year (custom RR job), I'm pretty sure I had 95RON petrol in the car.

But now I use BP Ultimate 97RON all the time as it is noticeably better.

My question is: has my car been mapped for 95RON or doesn't it make any difference to the remapping process? Would the custom map have been the same regardless of fuel in the tank at the time?

By the way, AMD never mentioned fuel type to me before or after the remap.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers.

It should not make any difference to the mapping process but using BP Ultimate or Optimax will make the car feel more responsive as it is better fuel.

When I had my custom map done at AMD they stated I could use any fuel as it didn't matter

I had mine done at Jabba and they told me I would get less performance with the 95ron than with the Optimax. The wife drives the car most of the time and has a hard enough time remembering to put any fuel in the car at all. Let alone a specific brand so I went for the 95 remap.

I thought it did make a difference.....

I am going to get it on a rolling road again soon as I had a bigger bore exhaust fitted since the remap so would like to know the figures.

Will maybe put Optimax in and see if there is a great deal of difference.

Rob

I had mine done at Jabba and they told me I would get less performance with the 95ron than with the Optimax. The wife drives the car most of the time and has a hard enough time remembering to put any fuel in the car at all. Let alone a specific brand so I went for the 95 remap.

I thought it did make a difference.....

I am going to get it on a rolling road again soon as I had a bigger bore exhaust fitted since the remap so would like to know the figures.

Will maybe put Optimax in and see if there is a great deal of difference.

Rob

I was asked what fuel when I went to MCR for my re-map, but I didnt ask anymore questions

Cheers guys, but I think the last few replies have missed my point. I know Optimax and Ultimate are better than 95 but my question was is the mapping process different according to what fuel is in the tank at the time of the remap.

JamS3's reply is what I was hoping for!

Thanks all,

It wont matter what fuel you had in at time of remap, the ECU will adapt accordingly.. I believe the maps are based on 97/98 Ron anyhow.

It wont matter what fuel you had in at time of remap, the ECU will adapt accordingly.. I believe the maps are based on 97/98 Ron anyhow.

If you have a higher octane fuel in the car when the car is mapped then they can get away with running slightly more boost as the higher octane resists detonation better.
Well thats what I was told when I was up at Jabba.

You said it better than I did j4jon. I would rather have a few more £'s in my pocket with 95ron than bhp with Optimax.

What bhp did you get from your remap out of interest?

214BHP on Sainsburys 95, wasn't thinking when I filled up before I went to Jabba, they had a couple of problems getting the map right as it keep retarding the ignition because of the crap fuel, which they reckon behaves more like 93. They said they could either reduce the boost if that is the fuel I normally use or leave it slightly higher and then in future use better fuel, so it only gets run on shell 95 now and feels much better.