Help - Plastic Bit Under Bonnet!

TanyaS3

Reaction score
Hey All

Need some help please.

I have this plastic square bit under the bonnet, I think it has writing under it but cant see as the plastic isnt clear anymore.
Its near the top (windscreen end) of the engine bay.
Can anyone tell me what it is called? I need to try get a new one as I touched this this morning and it cracked.

Or any pics so I can say 'yes thats what im talking about' :)

Thanks guys

Tanya

Sounds like the clear plastic cover over the VIN number stamped on the scuttle panel. It is an integral part of the plastic scuttle cover (i.e. the plastic bit under the wipers that covers the pollen filter etc.etc.). It is about £35 for a new one from a stealer. It doesn't matter that it is cracked as any water can still get out via the drain tubes, so would be a cosmetic change only.

jcs356 said:
Sounds like the clear plastic cover over the VIN number stamped on the scuttle panel. It is an integral part of the plastic scuttle cover (i.e. the plastic bit under the wipers that covers the pollen filter etc.etc.). It is about £35 for a new one from a stealer. It doesn't matter that it is cracked as any water can still get out via the drain tubes, so would be a cosmetic change only.

ill second that sounds like that part

Mine wasn't cracked until the other day when I was ragging at the scuttle cover to get it fitted right and stop the rain leaking into the passenger footwell. Ended up scraping a load of gunge out of the channel that the cover clips into before everything could be teased back together and then saw I'd cracked it. Not to worry, at least the carpet will have the chance of staying dry now.

tonedef said:
Mine wasn't cracked until the other day when I was ragging at the scuttle cover to get it fitted right and stop the rain leaking into the passenger footwell. Ended up scraping a load of gunge out of the channel that the cover clips into before everything could be teased back together and then saw I'd cracked it. Not to worry, at least the carpet will have the chance of staying dry now.

tell you where i did find a whole lot of crud too, was behind the rear of the front wheel arch liners. It was packed full of mud, leaves and dead bugs. I couldn't believe it. There must have been easily half a washing up bowl's worth per side.

Yea it sounds like that. I kind of put my finger through it is so old lol. So I may get a new one, not too expensive but if i do a new engine cover then yea?

TanyaS3 said:
...a new engine cover then yea?

No, you need to order a scuttle cover. Also be warned that you have to take the wiper blades off to fit it which can be easier said than done.

jcs356 said:
No, you need to order a scuttle cover. Also be warned that you have to take the wiper blades off to fit it which can be easier said than done.

and i will second that! when my last screen was changed i had to cut them off with a dremel (that was after trying pullers, pliers, lump hammer etc).

How much is a scuttle cover?

Yea it is this bit i need if i choose to replace it? The plastic has just got brittle. Is it worth replacing?

TanyaS3 said:
How much is a scuttle cover?

Yea it is this bit i need if i choose to replace it? The plastic has just got brittle. Is it worth replacing?

Don't know how much they are but I'll not be replacing mine even though it has cracked in the same place as yours. I tried all the heavy stuff to get the wiper arms off just like S3_MCD before giving up in case I cracked the screen or something. I know the cover's cracked but it's not like anyone else would ever notice unless they were really going over the car in serious detail, they'll already be put off by all the stone chips!