how to clean throttle body?

matt5594

Reaction score
not sure where to post this but since i have a 8L A3, it'll go in here.

picked up an error with vagcom (17967 - Throttle Valve Control part (J338): Fault in basic settings) and been advised to "clean the throttle body, around the flap and then reset the throttle setting using vagcom."

ok, i got lost after "clean", whats the throttle body and how do i clean it? i need advice that the most simple of people can follow. pictures would be nice too.

thanks.

thanks, so im removing the black pipe between the bit marked "throttle body inlet" and "intercooler" and thats the "throttle body"?

any advice on how to clean it and what products to use, if necessary?

That picture is for an a4, so remember to rotate the picture clockwise 90 degrees..

the black pipe could probably do with a clean too, but its the bit after the black pipe, just before the inlet manifold. Its much easier to get to on an a3/s3, so it should be pretty easy.

It should be easily identifyable as it'll have am electrical connector attached to a box on the side of it. It all comes off as one - font try and disassemble thi box on the side - it'll break! Also go easy when trying to clean the flap inside, dont force it about in any way - the last thing you want to do is snap any teesh on the gears inside it.

have a a look at the pics on one on this auction. The one you have may look a little different, but not much:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Audi-S3-Throttle-Body-body-APY-Engine_W0QQitemZ230017295123QQihZ013QQcategoryZ10372QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

what you are attempting to do by cleaning it, it to remove any chances of the flap not being able to move freely, or close/open fully. You'll get a better idea once it's removed, i.e. how gunked up it is. Be prepared though, it can get really nasty in there!

reminder - dont move the flap at all, it's on a worm drive, so you'll completely ****** it if you do.

That whole thing is the throttle body. The butterfly valve within the tube that runs through it is the actual 'throttle' - thats the bit you wanna clean carefully plus any gunk/oil on the walls of the tube itself.

You can clean it with carb cleaner spray (£2 from you local car spares shop) and a rag.

If you wanna do a thorough job, it's only held on by four 5mm allen bolts. Careful with the paper gasket and hoses/electrical connections that are also attached.

It ain't a hard job. I stripped cleaned and refitted mine in 10 minutes.

You don't need vag-com to reset the throttle adaptation either:

-Disconnect -ve battery terminal for 15 minutes
-Reconect it
-Put the key in the ignition and turn so that the dash warning lights come on (DONT Start the engine)
-Go back to the throttle body and you'll hear a whirring/beeping that'll last for about 30 seconds (this is the throttle resetting)
-Once the noise has stopped, start the car (don't remove the key or turn off the electrics first just turn and start immediatly from the position the key is in)
-The car will probably idle badly for a minute or so, don't touch the throttle, just the let the idle settle then it's all done.

Tallpaul said:
It ain't a hard job. I stripped cleaned and refitted mine in 10 minutes.
thats because you know what you're doing! ;)
i'll try the throttle adaptation thing first, see if that clears the error.

skanky said:
thats because you know what you're doing! ;)
i'll try the throttle adaptation thing first, see if that clears the error.

Not really, it was the first and only time i've ever done it :biggrin:

I think the 15mins without power will delete the fault codes from the ECU's memory, not 100% sure on that one. You might be as well to check and delete it on VAG-COM too if you have access to it... You'll need to be able to see if it comes back anyway.

Of course if you have VAG-COM then there is no need to disconnect the battery to reset the throttle adaptation.

yeah, i have access to my mate's vagcom, so a great help there. sure beats disconnecting the battery :)

bah vagcom error'd out which trying TBA, looks like i have to disconnect the battery and do it that way.

right, reconnected the battery, turned the key so the electrics come on, left it for a minute, started the engine and let it idle for another minute.

will check the vagcom tomorrow.