An S3 dilemma

MushroomMan

Sucemabite
Reaction score
I was invited to purchase my company S3 for 8k but I'm not that stupid.

It's an 02 with 101k miles. The pedal-sized hole in the floor mat is the first give away. The second is 270bhp and 311lbs/ft torque. Third is the shiney steel dump valve with a big hiss on gear change.

Much as I love my car I pity the poor unsuspecting sod who picks it up at auction next month.

But here is my dilemma. Should I switch the car back to stock or leave it on performance? Should I hide the SPS1 somewhere in the car where it will be discovered. Perhaps the safest - most sensible thing - would be to leave it in standard.

Personally i'd switch it back to stock mode, put the OE DV valve back on and sell your dump valve and SPS on eBay, you'll get about £150.

The fact that it's been remapped won't really make any differance to the condition of the engine, but if somebody bought it and found out it had been done they might unnecasserily worry about it; what they don't know won't hurt them!

MushroomMan said:
Much as I love my car I pity the poor unsuspecting sod who picks it up at auction next month.

why?

Every time I go to an auction I'm always surprised by the state of the cars there. About 90% of them have kerbed alloys, scratches, missed services etc. It must mean about 10% of people take as good care of their cars as I do. Not to mention the sheds you get at trade-in sales...

I'd take the dump vale off and sell it on ebay and just don't mention the chipping, but leave the sps under the passenger seat or something. It's out of warranty anyway and whoever buys it from auction has no come back on the seller :wink:

If it's a company car why are you worried about it? It goes to auction on a "buyer beware" / "sold as seen" basis. Even if there were some comeback (which there can't be) surely it would be to your company and not you personally? I'd leave the remap in place so the buyer knows exactly what's what.