Stone Chip Guard Protector

P1LSY

Reaction score
Hi Guys...

Long time no post I know...

Here's a question for you. I recently managed to hit a badger on the way home from work one evening a few months ago. Fortunately!? I hit the badger between the front and rear wheels, as opposed to head on which would have been nasty on the bodywork. The only damaged there was was the removal of the mudflap type trim that finishes off the sill spoiler and the wheel arch. Anyway to cut a long story short, I ordered the part got it sprayed (cost a ****** fortune to paint ) and in the box came a clear 1mm thick transparent stickyback stone chip protector that your meant to apply to the trim?
Has anyone ever tried to fit one of these stone guards before...mine has ended up in the bin? How do you stick em on without leaving horrible air bubbles that you can see.. any ideas?suggestions?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

hmmm is there an equvelent of turtle wax for badgers? Badgerwax? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I imagine it's just like most other nasty stickers, you'll only get rid of the bubbles with patience. Take your time applying it using a plastic tool to smooth it as you go, then for any air bubbles use a pin and puncture the centre of the pocket and push the air out towards the hole. You should probably also do it in a warm environment to ease application, maybe use a hairdryer on the surface and a brief warming of the sticker also, would probably help.

The best way is to spray a weak mixture of washing up liquid and water to the panel and then apply the sticker. This allows the sticker to slide and makes it possible to get the air bubbles out more easily. Once the panel dries full adhesion is returned. Sounds like a strange way to do it, but it does work.

[ QUOTE ]
AudiSi said:
The best way is to spray a weak mixture of washing up liquid and water to the panel and then apply the sticker. This allows the sticker to slide and makes it possible to get the air bubbles out more easily. Once the panel dries full adhesion is returned. Sounds like a strange way to do it, but it does work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that method but didn't know if you could do it with every type of sticker......well I take it it is, so you learn something new everyday.

Thanks for the info guys....now all I have to do is sweet talk my dealer into giving me another one for free...I was a bit peeved that I had to pay 40 quid to get the part painted, you would have thought they would have finished the job by applying the stone guard!??!

Thanks again?

Fortunately??! Never mind your mudflap, consider the badger, please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

this thread has reminded me, can you buy the clear plastic sticky bits seperately? one of mines got a big hole in it.