Badger5Volks Autos
Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: k03 or k03s...?

  1. #1
    Pete69zx
    Guest

    k03 or k03s...?

    Can i fit a k03s turbo to my car as a direct replacement to the k03?

    The car has already been re-mapped (i believe by APR).

    Will it give me any bennefit?

    Is it only worth it if my k03 packs up?

    Cheers, Pete.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
     
  3. #2
    nervus's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,155
    I think the K03S is a direct replacement good for about 15-20hp over the K03but why not just bolt a KO4 on instead good for ~60bhp +

    Both would probably require a custom map to get the best from them though.

  4. #3
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by nervus
    I think the K03S is a direct replacement good for about 15-20hp over the K03but why not just bolt a KO4 on instead good for ~60bhp +

    Both would probably require a custom map to get the best from them though.
    Because you'd need a new manifold, TIP, MAF, downpipe and oil hoses to fit a K04.

  5. #4
    nervus's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,155
    Could he just not fit a VAG S3 manifold complete with KO4 etc? Theres a few who have upgraded to BT's so there should be plenty knocking around.

  6. #5
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by nervus
    Could he just not fit a VAG S3 manifold complete with KO4 etc? Theres a few who have upgraded to BT's so there should be plenty knocking around.
    Of course he could. Or he could fit an ATP Eliminator or IHI or GT28RS.

    None of them just 'bolt straight on' like the K03s would.

    You can buy hybrid K03/K04 turbo's that'll bolt straight on, but they are fairly expensive.

  7. #6
    nervus's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,155
    And the last time you saw a cheapish second hand IHI +manifold or GT28RS with a golf manifold was???

    There have been a few second hand 210/225 manifolds complete with the KO4 turbo fairly cheaply on various forums for sale.

  8. #7
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by nervus
    And the last time you saw a cheapish second hand IHI +manifold or GT28RS with a golf manifold was???

    There have been a few second hand 210/225 manifolds complete with the KO4 turbo fairly cheaply on various forums for sale.
    Argumentative bunch on this forum, aren't we?

    Ok, so used K04 mani and turbo... 200 more/less? no idea.

    Downpipe and high flow cat to match 400

    TIP 130

    MAF 200 cos you won't have one to exchange

    Oil pipes no idea

    'Custom' Remap 500

    Labour to fit that lot... 6 hours @ 65/hour 390

    Total = 1800ish for about 260bhp

    That's about the max power you'll get cos the K04 simply can't flow anymore gas!

    Problem then is you only have a single SMIC, inlet temps will be shocking sou you'll need an FMIC, kiss another 750 goodbye. Course then you've got 265bhp on crappy little brakes. Even 312mm conversion is gonna cost 250+labour.

    But yeah, second hand K04 turbo's and mani's are cheap and 'just bolt straight on'

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    IIRC the K04-001 is a direct replacement for a K03. Though someone will correct me if I am wrong. Just I met a guy at a mk-iv meet with a K04 on his AGU

    And for 312mm you'll need new carriers too, roughly 100 (breaker)

  10. #9
    nervus's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,155
    Just trying to offer suggestions fella, no need to show your arse. We not just post your private E-mail address and we can can all cut to the chase and get your expert opinion first.

    But as you have said a K04 Turbo and manifold does 'bolt on' and if they are 200 - 500 then they are cheap too. A new replacement K03 from VAG will be more than that.

    Even if you can't physically fit the hardware yourself 1800 is still cheap, or do you think thats expensive?

  11. #10
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by nervus
    Just trying to offer suggestions fella, no need to show your arse. We not just post your private E-mail address and we can can all cut to the chase and get your expert opinion first.

    But as you have said a K04 Turbo and manifold does 'bolt on' and if they are 200 - 500 then they are cheap too. A new replacement K03 from VAG will be more than that.

    Even if you can't physically fit the hardware yourself 1800 is still cheap, or do you think thats expensive?
    i feel no emotion on the subject. i was simply answering the first point that yes, a K03s will bolt straight on. You posted 'Why not bolt on a K04?', i am simply pointing out that a K04 conversion isn't as simple as bolting straight on and does not compare to the amount of effort necassery to go K03s.

    My opinion is no more or less expert than yours, i was mearly adding the detail that your posts lacked.

    Like i said, you get a lot of people on this forum biting because you post something that contradicts or explains the necassery detail relating to their post. If the original poster likes the idea of 260bhp from a K04 where is the harm in explaining what else would be required? If he goes away with the impression that K04 is as easy to fit as K03s then that is incorrect, again where is the harm in an explanation?

    The K04 you refer to, being removed from an S3 or Leon Cupra R, will require all the things i've mentioned. I doubt K04-001's come up as frequently second hand, if they do and can be fitted without the parts i mention then great! I'm not gonna get the hump because somebody tells me something i don't know!

  12. #11
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by LaSarthe&Back
    And for 312mm you'll need new carriers too, roughly 100 (breaker)
    This guy sells 'direct fit' 312mm brake upgrades for Golf IV platform cars:

    http://www.golfturbo.com/index_files/page0002.htm

    Doesn't mention the need for carriers. Does this kit really need them?

  13. #12
    jediknight's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    834
    fight fight fight fight fight fight fight

    its like being at school again.


    Age 18: CRX MK2 | Age 20: Corrado VR6 | Age 21: Audi S3 (rip) | Age 23: Audi S3 | Age 25: BMW E46 M3

  14. #13
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by jediknight
    its like being at school again.
    Yup, what's the point in getting personal about a few prices with someone you'll never meet! Truely beyond me.

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallpaul
    This guy sells 'direct fit' 312mm brake upgrades for Golf IV platform cars:

    http://www.golfturbo.com/index_files/page0002.htm

    Doesn't mention the need for carriers. Does this kit really need them?
    I think they are included. Yes you really need them - the bigger disc diameter means you cannot use your standard 288m ones. The discs are standard TT items with delivery mileage where new buyers have specified upgraded brakes.

  16. #15
    nervus's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,155
    Thats the thing with forums though isnt it, its easy to take things the wrong way. Yes you are right, I originally thought a K04 had the same mounting flange as a K03, which you kindly pointed out was not the case.

    I still think a couple of grand for 260bhp from 150bhp is cheap and merely thought it was an option worth considering. I wasn't trying to be "Argumentative" as i couldn't give a rats ass really.

    Im just like many others, stuck at work and bored beyond belief otherwise I wouldn't venture onto these spod infested internet forums. I'd much rather be out driving fast cars and screwing hot chicks bevieve me!

  17. #16
    Pete69zx
    Guest
    Thanks for all of the input on this topic :-)

    Cheers, Pete.

    P.S... was just a question about a power hike using a different turbo compared to the one i have fitted. No to do anything about it.
    I just ordered a full FK coilover kit using Koni adjustables, alloy strut brace & full powerflex bush kit for fron & rear of the car. Oh, & also the dogbone engine bush by powerflex aswell.

    Cant wait to get them fitted :-)

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO